5.0 out of 5 stars Joan rocks!
This is one of those rare albums that gripped me from the very first listen.

Almost entirely a solo effort, with the artist playing all instruments except drums, this album is reminiscent of all the high points of Joan's long and notable career, but at the same time, it has a sound all of its own. It's clear, crisp and uncluttered, and the compositions are...
Published on 10 Mar 2010 by Mr. T. P. Hiscock

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought it, but...
I'm a HUGE fan of Joan's and I've got my tickets to her next concert here at my side, but I have to be totally honest and say that I wasn't thrilled with this album. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad album! It's fairly good, but it's certainly not a Joan Classic!

When I heard about this album and people referring to it as "Joan back on form", I was very...
Published on 19 Mar 2010 by Thomas M. Mcquiggan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Revitalized & charismatic, 5 May 2010
Yve (West Country, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Charming Life (Audio CD)
A life-long fan, I have enjoyed all the different styles that Joan has embraced, this new album however jumps out at you and wakes you up and 'takes you dancing'. Loved the energy and accomplished guitar work. Lyrically as observational and telling as ever, it is just a pleasure to listen too. Saw Joan give a blistering concert at the Colston Hall, Bristol the other week. Very very talented and hard working she was on top form, all the new stuff and most of the classic favourites.. and a full audience went home blissfully happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars This must be the best 80's album of the 21st Century, 30 April 2010
laughingdog "laughingdog" (Doha Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: This Charming Life (Audio CD)
This must be the best 80's album of the 21st Century - what, I hear you say am I on about?

Well, its almost like I've just entered a Time Machine, pressed 1983 into the remote and bingo I'm back watching Joan on Top of the Pops singing `Drop the Pilot' (didn't everyone look really happy back then?), we're all wearing seat belts in the UK as it becomes law, we're all watching the final episode of M*A*S*H breaking the record for the most watched episode, Michael Jackson's Thriller album hits #1 on the US charts, and Phil Lynott performs his final show with Thin Lizzy in Nuremberg, Germany.

I almost feel like I'm there - why? Because Joan's new album is full of the 80's - big catchy choruses, simple song structures, delightfully naive themes, bouncy bass lines and wonderful cheesy lyrics. But its a cheese that has matured and now tastes superb ready now to eat and enjoy.

Basically as with all my Albums of the Months, its a complete album, full of good songs, well produced with Joan playing all the instruments except drums and its an album that I think will pass the acid test - I'll still want to listen to it in 6 months, 2 years time.

Did you know that apart from making wonderful music Joan has performed for Nelson Mandela, received an MBE from the Queen and an Ivor Novello Award, recently completed a BA (Honours) in History and presented a series of excellent documentaries on Radio 4 to her many accomplishments.

She also has a good taste in guitarists with her top 5 being Mark Knopfler, John Williams, the classical axeman best known for the tremulous "Cavatina" on the soundtrack to The Deer Hunter, Bonnie Raitt, the flame-haired country singer of "Love Has no Pride", Bert Jansch, the rumpled veteran folkie of Pentangle, the late-1960s band and Russell Lissack, the twentysomething, floppy-fringed Essex vegetarian from Bloc Party.

To conclude my review, her new album is a gift - a gift from an unique performer full of spirit and stylish confidence full of Joan. I wasn't 100% sure I should have it as my Album of The Month as it fails to fit into what most of my readers like, but then I thought "Hey this site is all about great music....and this is great music - hope you enjoy.

Laughing Dog - musicforthemonth

4.0 out of 5 stars what a stunner!, 11 Dec 2010
This review is from: This Charming Life (Audio CD)
I loved this album and can't stop playing it. Joan's voice has not waned over the years, it is clear, vibrant and mellow.The variety of themes is interesting and she can be graceful or jazzy with equal ease.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming Joan, 22 May 2010
A great new album by Joan Armatrading, reminiscent of earlier albums and proving yet again that she is a fantastic singer, songwriter and guitar player. The more you listen to it the more it grows on you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Joan Armatrading's latest CD, 13 April 2010
This review is from: This Charming Life (Audio CD)
Recently purchased Joan's latest CD as we're going to see her in concert.

Love the title track 'This Charming Life' and some of the other tracks are growing on me.... However, I must admit that I prefer some of her earlier music.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Joan, 8 Dec 2010
Sorry to say

if you want "Joan" then this is not the album
I may have not moved with the times but neither has she. This is to metal and thump based
and does her no justice.

I regret the 7 i spent and will sell this for 1 if i can,,,,,,,,

Joan, go back to what is good, what you know best

DONT buy THIS album if you really love the true Joan Armatrading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

This Charming Life
This Charming Life by Joan Armatrading (Audio CD - 2010)