Bosch AVR 1100 Verticutter Lawnraker
Price:£152.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 18 July 2010
This is a great machine!
I had a severe moss problem in our garden (250m2); most of the lawn was covered in an inch of thatched dead grass and moss that had built up over the years. I decided to lay turf in the front and re-seed the side and back garden.
I used the AVR1100 to obliterate the moss and thatch on the front and side of the house where it was most dense. The machine made quick work of it, compacting my wheelie bin and ten bags in less than 30 minutes. It left some nice grooves in the soil which are great when re-seed with grass.
In the area I was to re-turf, I set it on the deepest cut setting and it literally cut 1cm into the soil, removing all the thatch above. I was then able to loosen the soil with a fork and lay the turf on top..
At one side of the house, it was pretty shady and literally all moss. I again cut this down to the soil, with some grooves for seeding. I planted some shady grass and it is now flourishing.
In the remaining sections where the moss was not too bad, but there was a layer of thatch, I set the cutters a bit higher, aiming to remove the dead grass, dead leaves, etc. . Again, it did a great job, removing the thatch but leaving the grass intact, ensuring the seed I was sowing on top of the grass, could actually get to the soil.
The collector box does appear a bit lightweight, but it is sturdy enough for the purpose.
I am delighted with the AVR1100 and can highly recommend it.
on 30 April 2010
It's very easy to assemble, and extraordinarily light and easy to manoeuvre. It has four heigh settings, and can be used as a lawn rake on the highest setting to a pretty-full-on scarifier (or 'verticutter') at the other extreme. I took out practically all of the moss from a patch of my lawn that was around 100m2 in around half an hour (but it created around a cubic meter (or 1000 litres) of moss, grass and other detritus, so the 'grass box' fills up very quickly, actually after every 10m of use or so - perhaps a reflection of the amount of moss in my lawn). The plastic construction makes it very light, but it remains to be seen if it lasts a long time. The fitting of the grass box to the rest of the machine seems to be a bit flimsy, but it has worked so far. The design is good and the results on the lawn are impressive. The electric cord on the machine is only about 10m long, so you may well need an extension cable (I did). The cost (£140 on Amazon and a couple of other on-line retailers) is pretty good value, I think, compared to some of the auction results on ebay. I looked on ebay for weeks, and finally decided that a new Bosch AVR was actually not a bad way to go - and I'm not usually a 'buy it new' sort of a bloke. I will use this in late spring and in autumn, so use will be fairly light, albeit on a large lawn. There is a 900W version that would be a good lawn rake, but might not cut it as a full on scarifier (but I don't know that for sure) - worth going for the 1100 for some 'muscle.' Provided it stands up for a few years, I think that it will be a good buy. If taking out all the moss in your lawn and leaving bare patches, make sure you have grass seed and lawn feed on hand to re-seed, or the weeds will make the most of the opportunity!
on 11 June 2010
this is great a a moss remover. the blades are metal. others makes can have plastic blades which should make them more fragile. you should use moss killer first. then use this machine and finally reseed the bare patches.
on 11 March 2012
Bosch AVR 1100 Verticutter Lawnraker

Bought this machine to replace a Black & Decker lawn rake I'd owned for almost 30 years. The B&D still works but is a pain to empty and most of the debris flies over the top of the "catcher". This Bosch lawn rake is a pleasure to use, It's light and makes short work of the moss and other rubbish growing in your lawn. In no time at all I had filled 4 large black bags with rubbish, and that was on the minimum depth cut. I dread to think what it would do on the deepest setting.

The worst thing about this machine is the frequency you have to empty it as it fills up so quick. Hopefully as the amount of moss is reduced it will be much easier to use. I liked the way it cuts slots in the grass to help aerate the lawn.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 12 September 2010
This is essentially a (very) powerful electric rake. By adjusting the depth of cut, you adjust the depth of raking. It will probably turn over the lawn on it's lowest setting - I haven't tried that. On uneven bits of lawn the cut depth can also be uneven - deeper in parts and so can dig out healthy grass. If you have a medium size lawn have several bags ready for the thatch and moss lifted - one green wheelie bin is filled in no time! Best apply moss killer a few weeks before - more moss lifted by raking then. The instructions say best to use the machine when grass short and dry but groung wet - fortunately with the unpredictable weather late August I was able to do this. I was left with some bare patches, where there had been much moss before. This was raked on a deeper cut to effectively turn over the soil and grass seed put down - this is now coming up as fresh grass. A very good raker at a price but it takes the back breaking work out of raking and makes easier to rejuvenate your lawn.
Update Summer 2015: I've used the raker each year once or twice between spring and autumn and it continues to do a good job. It has lasted well, no breakages or replacements. Still have to be careful with the height of the raking and any bumps in the lawn do get scalped, needing grass seed. I don't bother with the grass box as it fills too quickly - after raking I use the lawnmower to pick up the thatch/moss that's been removed. Overall the lawn's healthier and I don't regret the purchase. Good value for money (especially if you get it at discount price) seeing how it's lasted years.
on 24 August 2010
If you're using a scarifier with tines right now, you're not really prepared for how much rubbish is really in your lawn. I used a Flymo scarifier with tines and even at the lowest setting and walking very slowly, it never really got the job done - it eventually broke after less than 20 outings over 4 years (motor burnout) and I was advised I'd had a good innings. Hence the Bosch AVR 1100 Vericutter purchase... and what a machine this is.
I've got a Bosch lawnmower and it's been great for a number of years, so I had high confidence in the Bosch name and build quality. As I only purchased this a few months ago, I do not have practical experience of how good this machine is for the long run but the build quality certainly seems to imply I'll be using this for a long time to come.
There are 4 height settings, 4 being highest. At this level, it really acts as a very efficient hoover for the lawn, picking up all kinds of rubbish like small stomes (those with small children will know why you have small stomes on the lawn..) and other assorted debris. The blades just pick it all up without complaint - with tines, chances are you'd be needing to replace some pretty quickly. The lowest I have gone down to is 2 and this pulls up an amazing amount of stuff (I actually found myself smiling with the the amount of debris removed) . When looking down on the lawn from a 1st floor window, you can see the earth between the grass and it just looks ready for a bit of forking and overseeding. At this level, the motor seems able to handle it with ease. On my front lawn, have not seen the need to go to 1 and, to be honest, I am almost fearful of how much lawn would be left. However, my back lawn has been neglected for years and so I think level 1 will get used - my only concern at this time is where I will put all the stuff it will (justifiably) pull up.
In summary, nice bit of kit with a good name and the build quality seems to match that. Very efficient, seems well up to the job it was designed for. You need to get comfortable with the perception that you are 'vandalising' the lawn horribly but sometimes this is required to grow a strong lawn.
The debris collection is very efficient and, while I have read a number of reviews indicating the debris collector is 'fiddly', I see this as a non-issue - works fine and is trivial to remove/replace.
on 17 September 2010
I was not sure what to expect but having read the reviews I knew I was in for a lot of emptying of the grass box and I was not disappointed!
I decided to go ahead and scarify the lawn in August as, when I examined the lawn closely, I realised the grass could hardly breathe for all the moss and thatch resulting from years of neglect.
The machine arrived within 4 days of ordering and was easily assembled. It is very light which is good but one must be careful not to inadvertently push down on the handle when using it as this affects the performance.
The blades are of 1-2 mm thick stainless steel and blunt which means they do not break but are rather brutal when used on the lowest setting when it seemed to collect a lot of top soil as well as moss from the lawn -rather worrying given the price of top dressing. However it was very effective on the 3rd setting and I was delighted with the result - I filled about 10 wheelie bins from a 270sq.m. lawn which then looked like a piece of neglected wasteland! I then hand raked, top dressed and reseeded the lawn and now 6 weeks on I have a totally new luscious green lawn. I realise I was lucky with the weather as it has been ideal for this venture and although it was still hard work I must say I was delighted with the machine.
I did do all this in the autumn 2 years ago with a hired scarifier ( with conventional tines which kept getting matted) and a drum aerator. The result was more moss than ever and it was much harder work than with the Bosch 1100.
Although I think that the compaction in the collector could be improved - I had to empty it every 2-3 metres- and I would not use it on the lowest setting for the reason mentioned I think it is excellent value for money and extremely easy to use.
on 13 April 2010
We bought this machine after trying a cheap lawn rake with tines. Our grass was so bad it just broke all the tines off very quickly. The beauty of the AVR1100 is that it has solid blades instead of tines so far more robust. We ordered on Sunday and received the delivery on Tuesday morning. It took about 5 minutes for me to assemble, just 4 plastic handled screws and a couple of clips and I was gathering moss. I filled the wheelie bin in about half an hour. The box collects really well and the machine is light and easy to handle even for me as I am slightly disabled. All in all a very good machine.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I previously had a scarifier made by Draper some years ago which succeeded in removing all of my lawn leaving only soil. I suspect I didn’t read the instructions properly. Once of the wheels fell off and I binned it.

The Bosch ALR1100 is a much superior machine. Easy to assemble, lightweight and easy to use. I had a patch of lawn, 80 square metres, to rid of moss. The area was very springy and I suspected that no lawn would be left. I mowed it first on a low setting and set about the scarification.

I went over the lawn on the highest setting and again on each of the remaining settings until I was at the lowest where the blades cut furrows into the lawn. The lawn had changed colour from bright green to green, light brown and dark brown. Better than the allotment which was left by the Draper machine.

There are a few things worthy of note which are mentioned in good and bad lights on other reviews:

Firstly, the moss collecting box is quite large but fills very quickly. Some see this as a fault of the machine rather than its fantastic ability to do what it is meant to. I was prepared for this and purchased (from Amazon) the “GardenMate® 3 x Garden Waste Bags 272 Liters” bags – all of which I filled. I emptied the box at the end of each length which was around 12 metres. Ideally, you need to empty it before it is very full otherwise the moss spills back into the machine. Be prepared to get rid of the moss - my front lawn was in a shocking state and at only 20 square metres created 500 litres of moss.

However, the first ‘treatment’ is bound to be the worst particularly if your lawn is in a poor state. Personally I marvelled at the amount of moss removed and toyed with the idea of a further pass to see how much I could remove. I decided against it for fear of damaging the remainder of the lawn beyond repair.

Secondly, the machine is not selective about what it tears up. Moss comes up easier than grass but the machine does not pick out the moss with delicate tongs, it uses a set of blades attached to a spinny death wheel. The lower the death wheel, the closer the blades get to the surface of the soil – the lowest setting being below the surface of the soil hence the furrows that it will leave.

It is the death wheel that will make a mess of even the most attractive lawns but you can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs and the treatment will keep your lawn in shape in the long term. It’s the agricultural equivalent of a chemical face peel.

Thirdly, the safety overheat cut out. I activated this when using the machine on its lowest setting when you can feel the machine bucking along as it flays into the soil with the death wheel. The illustrations on the top of the machine tell you that overheating causes a cut out and you should wait 60 seconds. I emptied the box, moved some bags around and the machine started up again.

For the reviewer who managed to burn out the machine, I would imagine that s/he was asking the machine to do too much. If you want to take up a 3 inch high lawn in one fell swoop I would recommend a lawn turf remover or a petrol scarifier. This is an electric device with an electric motor that will burn out if used incorrectly. The cut out should warn you when the going is too tough (in which case raise the height of the blades and carry out more than one pass) but if it repeatedly cuts out and you continue to use it you only have yourself to blame when it goes bang.

Finally, I can confirm that the machine is brilliant. It also does a good job of levelling the lawn if there are any bumps (although it won’t fill holes because it’s not magic) and when used around April, I am guessing that by mid-May the lawn will be better than it has ever been.

Further information and for reference: I used a moss killer (bulk purchase form a popular auction web site) a week before the scarifier, cut the lawn short before and treated the grass with lawn feed (from the same place as the moss killer) and lawn seed (yep, same place) after scarification. After two weeks the lawn seed is still seed but the remaining lawn is better than the other lawns which were in a similar state.
on 27 October 2011
Delivery was fantastic. As always Bosch deliver fine equipment. This does everything needed, gentle to very harsh as required. Much more powerful than I had expected, wish I had bought one before and saved hire charges for inferior petrol machines