5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Unit
I installed the unit a couple of weeks ago, so far no false alarms.
It is easy to fit it hooks onto two screws and looks smart and not intrusive.
Set up was straight forward, I tested the alarm which is quite loud.
A little green light flashes every 30 seconds to let you know it is operating.
The LED display gives a reading of zero when operating, and...
Published on 2 Nov 2010 by Raven

2.0 out of 5 stars Not usefullly digital
I bought a digital monitor because, as well as the alarm function, I wanted to see what the level of CO was even when below the alarm level. Upon reading the instructions I discover that it shows 0 for 0 to 30 ppm and only showd the level if 30 or over, which is the alarm condition.

Granted, the peak function goes all the way down to 11 ppm, but I wanted to...
Published 23 months ago by Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Unit, 2 Nov 2010
Raven - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kidde 0230 BSI Battery Premium Range Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display (Tools & Hardware)
I installed the unit a couple of weeks ago, so far no false alarms.
It is easy to fit it hooks onto two screws and looks smart and not intrusive.
Set up was straight forward, I tested the alarm which is quite loud.
A little green light flashes every 30 seconds to let you know it is operating.
The LED display gives a reading of zero when operating, and gives another reading when the alarm goes off.
Reading will have to be checked against the table in the instructions, of cause after everyone has vacated the premises and doors and windows opened.
A printed label telling you what to do if the alarm activates can be placed by unit.
Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, I really should have fitted one ages ago.
We sleep easier now we have one installed.
One other thing because it is battery operated it is also portable so you can take it with
you if you use a caravan or self catering cottages etc.
Hope this review helps.

UPDATE. 10/07/12
Have recently change the batteries, mainly for peace of mind even though the batteries still check out OK with tester. So they have lasted for nearly 20 months, with regular tests.
I have had no false alarms.
Some time ago I was concern that when I test the unit, how do I know that it works. Pressing the test button tells you the unit works electrically,but does not test the unit for Carbon Monoxide.
So after checking around came across DETECTAGASCO Alarm Tester Kit 520ml CO Alarm Tester Kit Qty 1 First Aid + Fire, it is available for around 7.50. it is simple to use and the unit when tested shown max reading 999 then drop to zero, the alarm stop near the 40 mark.
I am now satisfied that the unit will work.
The detectagas canister has enough gas for seven tests and has labels to enter dates of tests etc.

UPDATE. 29/09/12
A comment was made is the readout on the Carbon Monoxide Alarm a gimmick.
I believe that it is worth having, because any readings shown on the unit will give you an indication of a problem, the other thing thats worth mentioning is that when you are away from your premises it also keeps a record of peak readings, this is stated on the instructions, normal conditions should show a reading of 0.

The following table gives you some idea of what can happen.

PPM COHb--------------------------Duration of Exposure-----------Symptoms
Airbourne Concentration Levels

100 ppm---------------------------Within 2 to 3 hours-------------Slight Headache
400 ppm---------------------------Within 1 to 2 hours-------------Frontal Headache
-----------------------------------Within 2 1/2 to 3 hours---------Wide Spread Headache
800 ppm---------------------------Within 45 minutes--------------Dizziness, Nausea, Convulsions
1600 ppm--------------------------Within 2o minutes--------------Dizziness, Nausea, Convulsions
-----------------------------------Within 1 to 2 hours-------------Possibility of Death

These tables can be clarified by any searching on line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and install, 6 Sep 2010
I orignally wanted to buy the lower spec model but as my original unit died quickly the delivery lead time from Amazon was 3 weeks so I I opted for this higher spec model.

It is easy to set up but be careful when you test the alarm as it is rather loud (as you would hope it would be).

The read out display is an added detail which gives additional piece of mind so long as it stays at zero.

If the alarm does go off then the reading on the display will change giving you an indication of the severity of the leak in a numeric form.
You would have to read the instruction booklet to understand in detail what each value means.

The visual display along with a small beep will also tell you when the batteries are low and also when the unit needs replacing.
The visual display also has a backlight but I am sure if the alarm goes off you would not bother to use this.

Just one small note. The unit does not come with a seperate bracket as the lesser spec unit but has a built in bracket on the back of the unit. Fixings are supplied along with batteries.

So far the unit remains silent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kidde 900-230, 5 Feb 2010
G. Slater (NOTTINGHAM, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
Having used a mains operated CO detector for 7 years it was time to find a replacement. This is a super unit. Very compact and easy to set up and use. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS THAT MOST CO POISONINGS OCCUR DURING POWER CUTS. Because this unit runs on 3 x AA batteries you have the peace of mind that you are protected even during a power cut. A couple of other features have been included : The cover for the battery compartment cannot be put on if the unit does not have all 3 batteries installed, the unit will let you know when the batteries need replacing and it will also tell you when it is at the end of its 7 year usable life. The unit also has a manufacturers 5 year guarantee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Fast Installation, 17 Jan 2011
S. Thomas - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This Carbon Monoxide Detector is extremely simple to use. And best of all, it uses battery power, so there is no need for it to be sited closed to a socket or attached to the wall (although wall plugs, screws and guidance are provided should you wish to do so).

When I moved house just over 8 years ago, I brought a CO detector with me to reinstall. It had to be fixed to a wall, a specific height above a socket (so that it could be plugged in). I do not enjoy drilling holes in the wall at the best of times and, when you add in the mysteries of exactly where the wiring to the socket might be in the wall, even with the use of a wire detector, it was one of those jobs I never got around to doing. Hence the wish to get a detector that did not need mains power.

The unit is supplied with three AA batteries and these are simply fitted inside the unit; there is a red coloured strip in each of the battery compartments that needs to be pressed down as each battery is inserted (a safety measure to ensure you do not forget to insert the batteries). The unit lets out a fairly quiet `peep' as the last battery connection is made then, after a short time, the digital display shows you the level of CO in the vicinity (a reassuring `0' in our case). A periodic flash of a green light confirms the unit is powered and operating then you just need to place it somewhere to monitor CO levels (one unit per floor is recommended) - and lots of guidance is provided in the leaflet.

Weekly testing is recommended, which involves pressing the test/reset button (be prepared for a loud beeping noise for several seconds) after which the unit resets itself.

Maintenance is a monthly dust with a vacuum cleaner and an annual battery change. The whole unit has to be changed after 7 years - it will apparently sound an audible alarm every 30 seconds at this point and will no longer monitor CO levels; my units have a helpful sticker to indicate the unit needs to be replaced by May 2018 so I can ensure I get replacements in good time.

I chose this particular unit as it did not require mains wiring and it had a digital display. The ease of set up, with no drilling required, means that the units are already both installed in my home and monitoring CO levels (no 8+ year wait for these), each installation only taking the time needed to insert three batteries in a compartment. The digital display ensures that I can check levels easily and with just a glance as I walk by. I am sure that I am not alone in never getting around to installing a CO monitor - this one is so easy that safety is only a momentary installation away, with no more excuses needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved our lives, 14 Dec 2010
John Martin - See all my reviews
About a year ago I purchased the larger Kidde model with the digital read out. This was to replace an out of date model. About a month ago our CO detector activated as a result of a fault with our boiler. Since the boiler has been repaired the detector has not activated so in my opinion it did its job and saved our lives. As a result of this I bought another. The first detector was placed downstairs in our house the new one is up stairs. After all you can never be to careful. Take my advice and BUY one now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loud, 17 Nov 2010
Bob (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a well made alarm with a comprehensive instruction/installation guide, it is a refreshing change to have instructions that were originally written in English rather than the usual badly translated version. Also included are two sticky labels showing what to do if the alarm sounds including the latest emergency contact numbers. The unit is guaranteed for 7 years which is also the life of the unit, after 7 years from initial power up it displays "End" on the led panel and it needs replacing. It can be wall mounted (screws not supplied, actually they usually are and are stored in the battery compartment but mine were missing) or free standing. It is recommended that batteries are changed every year (3 AA batteries needed) however it also displays "Lb" if the battery is low.
On test the alarm was loud it claims +85dB and I have no reason to disbelieve this. This unit has an advantage over the ones that just sound an alarm in that it will show peak readings which is useful if there is a slow build up of gas (Carbon Monoxide (CO) only detectable) below the level that will trigger an alarm.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not usefullly digital, 11 May 2012

Granted, the peak function goes all the way down to 11 ppm, but I wanted to see the actual live measurement - that's why I bought one with a a digital level readout. If I can find another one that does what I'd expect then I'm returning this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can get it cheaper, 21 Feb 2010
Nigel Gander "see me" (UK) - See all my reviews
Works as it said in the instructions,small and compact
Tested in garage with car engine running.
Check the net 10 can be saved,sadly to late for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars carbon monoxide alarm, 8 Aug 2010
I guess this is a product that you will only know if it works should disaster happen! However,I was pleased to hear that the alarm gives out a very loud shrill that would wake even the heaviest of sleepers. In retrospect I would probably have gone for the (cheaper) version without the LCD readout as I am not sure what the point of this is. Will report again at the end of it's seven year life!

4.0 out of 5 stars Carbon Monoxide detector, 19 Feb 2011
Mrs. S. Marr (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
A few years ago, after a friend of ours nearly died because his flue became dislodged and the chimney was feeding CO into the room, we got a CO detector as well as smoke alarms. When our CO detector packed up, we bought this one as a replacement. The previous one had gone off one night for no apparent reason - we thought we had a leak so we opened windows and sat in the freezing cold for 2 hours until the gas guys came - and then they said there was no evidence of there ever having been a leak - it was the detector that was faulty. Therefore, we like this one because it actually will tell you how many parts per million of CO it measures and so you can see if there has actually been a leak or not. It has a nice digital display and screws for wall mounting. The only thing I didn't like was that it has a built-in mortality - so it will expire and not work any more in 6 years - but the date of manufacture was almost a year ago so I'll only get 5 years and not six, hence why I didn't give it 5 stars. But otherwise I'd recommend it.

ARRAY(0xb6500e70)