on 27 March 2010
Having been a Microsoft Money user since the early nineties, the lack of a comparable package for the Mac when I switched platforms was frustrating. I've spent many years using a custom spreadsheet to try and manage the home finances. I recently came across Accountz and bought the software on the strength of the reviews elsewhere.

As ever, Accountz is as good as the information you put in and it's worth taking a couple of hours to understand the concepts it uses to track money. Once you've done that, take a little while to figure out the depth of information you want to track and budget for and then get to work on the software. Having procrastinated about building yet another spreadsheet, I had over three months of receipts to reconcile once I had Accountz up and running. It was incredibly quick to get everything entered (far quicker than MS Money) and - most importantly - the accounts reconciled with my bank and credit card accounts on first attempt.

This really is a superb product and I'd recommend it for any Mac user wanting to get on top of their home finances and budgeting.
on 17 April 2010
I have been an MS money user for many years now and was looking for something that could replace it and run natively on the Mac. having read the previous review i thought that this could well be it! I have seldom been so disappointed with software on first using it.

It is so basic and unintuitive, with little ability to add any depth to analysis. the reporting looks very basic and I wouldn't look forward to prepping my tax returns with it. The whole package has the feel of something that has been written in someones bedroom rather than being professionally developed.

I will either be continuing to use MSMoney or creating some excel spreadsheets or perhaps even a Filemaker database I think .... I cant imagine using this software for long without starting to tear my hair out.

I agree that if you want simple data entry and little else then this software might serve your needs (hence 2 stars not one)....but dont go thinking that it will be a particularly pleasant experience after the comprehensiveness of MSMoney.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 April 2011
I bought this Mac version of Personal Accountz as a replacement for a Windows version of Quicken 98 (which I thought was great but could't find a Mac version). I picked PA largely based on internet reviews from Amazon and elsewhere. Mistake.

I've been using this software for several months now. I thought I would stick with it and try and get used to it which I have - and I don't like it one bit. It feels to me like a 6th form project that someone has hit on the idea of marketing. The online help shows a very different front end to what I have. Perhaps the Mac version has not been updated in line with the Windows version.

I don't have the inclination to list all the faults and annoyances but a few that spring to mind: to see details of an account, you have to create a report for that account so when reconciling my current account, for eg, I create a report to compare with my statement, realise I haven't included a transaction in PA and have to close the report, go back to the Entries screen and enter the transaction then create another report to see it in the context of all my other transactions. Also, the date field does not allow me to view the calendar to select a transaction date, I have to type the date in in full. The autofill is very clumsy so if I type in an account name e.g. Water, if Water is the only account beginning with W, water autofills and (because I'm not a touch typer) the 'ater' appears in the next field along so I have to go back and delete.

Absolute rubbish. I'm going to switch to another personal finance software package when I can summon up the energy to investigate one and transfer all my data into the new package.

Sorry for the extreme negativity but it is heart-felt.
on 22 December 2010
The programme works ok, but is difficult to set up, I found a kind person in Accountz who helped me out, but product has now been superceded and is no longer supported, why are Amazon still selling it?
on 13 April 2013
I bought this programme via Amazon for £24 in March 2012. I have only just got round to installing and trying it out. It appears to be OK, but not great. When trying to access the online help and update files I got a 'Page not found' message. After contacting the Company I was informed that it has now been superceded by Home Accountz. I was offered the opportunity to upgrade for another £31. Home Accountz 2012 is available on Amazon for only £16.99. Why are Amazon still selling this, AND at a dearer price than last year.