‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great box set, 24 May 2010
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
This is a great value product. The box set contains the monkees first five albums and if we are honest the essential albums from the period where there were all 4 original members in the group. Afterwards things fell apart despite attempts at reconciliation and further album releases. We have here the essential original albums from the classic 1966-68 period. Labelled at the time as fake (because of use of session musicians-other bands did this too and the monkees were not 100% in control!) or bubblebum it is extraordinary how the Monkees music has remained fresh and vital whilst much from the same period sounds dated. Much has already been written about how the Monkees (or their management) were able to secure songs from many top songwriting partnerships whilst later on also adding some considerable songs themselves eg Going Down, Randy Scouse Git. The appeal of the monkees lies in some great and distinctive vocals from predominantly Micky Dolenz, whilst being ably backed up by Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork. The songs vary in style from garage, psychedelia and country. Notably the band's great sense of humour and comedy shines through too, making sure the music is never too serious or indulgent. It is striking how there is little excess to tracks and very rarely does any song outstay its welcome.
A few words about the packaging. Each album comes in a mini lp replica sleeve. This is a replica of the American sleeve (from Colgems) not the Britsh version (RCA Victor). I have the original British releases on vinyl. Essentially the sleeves and tracklisting are the same though so this is nothing to worry about. Personally I love the idea of the lp sleeves being replicated for discs. Be aware though that the quality of the printing does not match for example the recently released Beatles in mono discs which are also housed in lp replica sleeves. However, this should not put you off because at the price this set is being offered, Rhino music have put out a very good product indeed and I commend them thoroughly.
The sound quality is also excellent. The monkees music was remastered several years ago to a very high standard. I am not clear whether it ha sbeen remastered again but if so it is impossible to tell and it does not say on the packaging. The music is exceptionally clear and dynamic for the period in which is was recorded. Go out and buy this product. It might also be worth checking out the other artists who have been selected for these rhino original albums re-issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classics that stand the test of time!, 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
First of all, I was a big Monkees fan. In 1966, aged 12, I bought the single I'm A Believer two weeks before I owned my first record player! I then bought each of the first five Monkees albums as soon as they were released and loved them all. I subscribed to Monkees Monthly magazine and corresponded with an American penpal found through that magazine, swapping letters with her about all things Monkee! They were not the coolest band in the world to my musically snobbish friends, but I loved them. I was cool as well, into the Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, Kinks, Small Faces etc. but, in the latter half of the sixties, no band had a place in my heart like Davey, Mike, Micky and Peter. In the early seventies, after Led Zeppelin had bludgeoned their way into my life, I finally threw out my childhood and flogged the lot for peanuts. Having still retained most of my vinyl albums, I now regret that decision but, two days ago, those fine albums once again were in my possession, courtesy of this budget priced box set from Rhino.
Now, as any music fan of a certain age will realise, buying an album based to a large degree on nostalgia is risky. The magical sounds of childhood and teenage years can sound dated and disappointing decades later. However, already being the owner of The Definitive Monkees compilation, I wasn't buying this set wholly on a whim but I did wonder whether some of the lesser known songs would stand the test of time. I'm therefore happy to report that, from the opening bars of their debut through to the closing notes of their final album as a four piece, the magic is very much intact. Whereas classic Beatles and Stones have been played incessantly on the radio, TV and in my own home and car for years, a lot of the songs on these five albums have not been heard by me since 1970. I was amazed, therefore, to be singing along and remembering a lot of the words immediately. Even the bonus tracks, which generally I am not a lover of, add to the enjoyment and quality of each album. The group's progression from "do as we're told" puppets who didn't play their instruments to proper band with a good deal of artistic control is palpable when listening to Headquarters and the final two albums. Yes, you can spot obvious influences left, right and centre and they were always at least two steps behind the Beatles, but the quality is there consistently throughout all five of these albums. The CD sound quality is also excellent.
For those Monkees diehards like myself, this set is an essential purchase and fantastic value for money. For any music fan who is interested in listening to a piece of genuine sixties musical history and some bloody good songs, this set is also highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Box Set Is TOO COOL!, 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
Yes....it's the 5 listed Monkees albums, as originally released, with bonus tracks at the end of each album. Each disc is tucked in a sturdy paper sleeve, depicting the original cover art from the 1966-1968 LP's. All 5 are then inserted into paper open-ended "box". The sound is terrific...and this is a great bargain, keepsake, and gift. One of the coolest Monkees items ever. The Monkees should be in the rock and roll hall of fame...astoundingly great listening. You should treat yourself to this special item. Highest Recommendation! (In the interest of completeness, it is duly noted that the nifty packaging has a modest downside...paper sleeves here and elsewhere make disc removal a bit of a task due to tight fit in the sleeves. Still, this collection is a must-have. Get it before it's gone.).

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Monkees Collection at a Bargain Price!, 17 Jun 2010
Greywolf (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
I love the Monkees. I was around in the 60s when they were rivalling the Beatles for popularity and sales. I never bought into all that 'they don't play their own instruments' nonsense. Everybody used session musicians, and the Monkees played loads of live gigs in which they demonstrated that they were actually a really great garage band. Mike Nesmith was (and is) a very, very good songwriter and, with Messrs Tork, Dolenz and Jones, they created some of the very best pop songs of the era. 'I Wanna Be Free,' 'I'm a Believer,' 'Last Train to Clarksville' and many more true pop gems. But then they also produced some of the best psychedelic singles of the late 60s, including 'Alternate Title,' 'Pleasant Valley Sunday' and the magisterial and strange 'Tapioca Tundra.' The five albums included here abound with lesser-known gems too, like 'This Just Doesn't Seem to Be My Day,' 'You Just May Be the One' and 'Door Into Summer.' This set consists of the first five Monkees albums, three of which were released in that magical musical year, 1967. A surprise when I received this in the post was that what you get here is not just the original albums, but the recently re-mastered albums with all the bonus tracks. This makes the set even more of a bargain. Since some of these albums have been hard (and expensive) to get hold of in recent years, this is an amazing opportunity to pick up a colourful slice of pop history, fun and yes, some damn fine music. So, what are you waiting for? Go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of Monkees for your money!, 1 Mar 2012
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
I bought this box set back in September, after watching a documentary on The Monkees. I can't even guess at how many times I've listened to all five discs from start to finish since then. I've been meaning to review for ages, too, but today, learning of the sad death of Davy Jones, my favourite Monkee, was what finally spurred me on.

So, where to start? Visually, the box set is nicely done. I liked that each disc comes in a replica of the original album cover, even down to the fact that the bonus tracks aren't listed there. The sound quality is very clear. I listen to my CDs whilst driving and I have a rattly old Land Rover with a loud engine, which sometimes overpowers the music, but not so with this set and I don't even have to up the volume. Whoever remastered these did a very good job. I saw a review that said one of the songs on the fifth album, 'Magnolia Simms', hadn't been copied very well, with a lot of scratching and jumping on the track, but a quick look on the back of the album cover shows a little note saying it was intentionally recorded that way to hark back to the 30s era recordings.

As for the music itself, there are a lot of bonus tracks, some of which are interesting or entertaining versions of songs on the albums and others which were completely new, to me at least. On top of that, I listened to my mum's records growing up and she only had the first four, so most of the fifth album, baring tracks that have been on compilations, was new to me as well. This filled me with great joy and I'm doing my best to learn all the words. Peter Tork's 'Alvin' was a new one for me and had me laughing aloud. That's what I love about The Monkees - you can hear how much fun they had making their songs. There are some very silly tracks, such as 'Gonna Buy Me a Dog' and 'Your Auntie Grizelda', which never fail to make me smile, but on the same albums you can find some with country leanings, thanks to Mike Nesmith's influence, or a Davy Jones romantic ballard, or a Mickey Dolenz top-of-the-lungs job.

I've always loved the sound of The Monkees. What a stroke of luck it was that the casting people found four guys whose voices work so well together, whether sharing lead vocals on a song, or harmonising for the backing track. I love so many of the songs that I can't possibly pick favourites, so I will just say that the only two songs I'm not warming to are 'Pillow Talk' and 'Lady's Baby', both bonus tracks. That's not a bad result for 89 tracks! Of the songs new to me, I did enjoy 'All of Your Toys' - the first bonus track on the third disc - the intro is jolly and Mickey Dolenz enjoys himself with the lyrics, especially belting it out at the end. Proof that they may have been manufactured, but, unlike a lot of today's manufactured groups, these guys were perfectly capable of carrying a song on their own.

Davy Jones will be sadly missed, but it will make me treasure my box set all the more. I may even listen to them all again tomorrow.

5.0 out of 5 stars kees to the door, 7 Jan 2013
R. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
what a great set, the Monkees back catalogue gives you the full flavour of 60's influences of pop history in one box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monkee CD, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
These are like miniature versions of the LPs, a great idea. Really pleased with them ,they are really good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money!, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
After carefully reading all previously posted reviews for this Monkees set I decided to give it a try. As many have noted it is an overall excellent set including the 5 core Monkee albums from the 60's. I am adding my review to address the quality control issues. I have listened to all 5 albums twice and the only actual 'defects' seem to occur on two songs within the 'More of the Monkees' album with "Sometime in the Morning" being the worst offender. It is hard to know the actual source of what sounds like a cross between a harsh instance (1 second and occurring at least twice in the song) of digital clipping and/or a bad edit of the existing masters. I owned the original Vinyl back in the 60's and this was not part of the original recording. In my opinion I don't think this is a direct result of bad manufacturing other than whoever was in charge of this product just didn't LISTEN to the final product before releasing it for sale.
This audio defect was surely on the master tape they used for duplication. This is a problem I have noticed more and more lately with Rhino products. Bummer, as they used to put out a superior product.

For this reason I have deducted one star as I will need to purchase "More of the Monkees" separately if I want a glitch free audio rendering. Other than that, the rest of the albums all play fine. Yes, some are very distorted at times, mainly the early albums and this is part of the original master as the earlier recordings were rushed and not well recorded to begin with. Once you get to "Headquarters" the overall quality increases greatly with much higher fidelity in the actual tracking and resulting mixes.

For the money this set can't be beat and even with the inherent problems of rushed 60's recording, it is still very nice to own and a pleasure to listen to, instantly taking me back to a happier and simpler time. And the songs surprisingly Do hold up very well, much better than I had expected actually.

5.0 out of 5 stars The session musician argument is an unnecessary one., 9 April 2011
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
As regard to the session musician debate surrounding the Monkees, I would just like to point out that the Monkees were brought together as a TV show NOT as a group!!! But the music that was suppled by top songwriters of the day and performed by top musicians was of such quality that the Monkees as a spin-off real life group was inevitable!! Micky Dolenz et al could all play their instruments ..let's be clear about that...indeed one of the requirements for the actors applying to audition the show was that they were able to play an instrument! So stop all the nonsense debating and just enjoy a slice of great 60's nostalgia. The show itself was excellent lest we forget!!! Happy listening

4.0 out of 5 stars cheap? That's the point, 3 Dec 2010
N. T. Macneill "fredtheseagull" (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
I can only add to the comments made about these albums and their 'little gems'. The Monkees had some of the best song writers giving them songs and they wrote a few good ones themselves. They still incredibly remain frowned upon by some for their 'not plasying on their records'. Move on! Lots of bands had session musicians playing for them, and the Monkees were better than most. So this set of 5 CD's is a great collection to have.
A common criticism of these 5 CD sets issued by Rhino (Sony) is that they have no notes and the presentation is not great. But surely it's about the MUSIC and these sets are a terrific bargain. Cheap they are, and I for one am glad to be able to have albums I never thought I'd get at a price like this. What dom you expect for 2 an album? It's got to be good. Well done Sony and let's have some more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Original Album Series
Original Album Series by Monkees (Audio CD - 2010)