5.0 out of 5 stars Helps Americans make sense of themselves...., 27 May 1999
This review is from: Democracy in America (Paperback)
...and others understand Americans. I was required to read this book for a college course and was actually dreading its seemingly tedious discourses on a myriad of subjects. After diving in, however, I discovered something totally different was contained. One thing sorely lacking from education in grades K-12 is REALITY. As children we are indoctrinated with the idea of American supremacy to all other nations. I can understand instilling love in one's country, but we're being brainwashed here! After going through college I began to wrestle with the inherent contradictions of American thinking. This book systematically handles many of those issues and really helps American citizens realize how we've gotten ourselves where we are today (filthy rich & hated throughout the world.) I don't hate America, just a lot of what the government does. this book will greatly expand your way of thinking on various subjects. If taught in the proper manner, this book will shatter conventional concepts of America. Forget all that other crap we had to read in school...this should be required reading. It handles everything from economics, art, gender issues, etc....a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must reading for all Americans, 29 Jan. 1999
This review is from: Democracy in America (Paperback)
A great book for understanding the state of the US in the early 1800's. Often quoted by politicians for support of contradictory views, so we need to be familiar with it to avoid being missled by those who want to use it to support any particular political viewpoint. However, there is a pressing need for an insightful critique from the standpoint of American history subsequent to the 1830's when it was written. A lot of de Toqueville's impressions regarding local governments as the foundation of American Democracy went by the board with the rise of the industrial economy, as the latter tended to erode a lot of individual freedoms that were presnt when this was an agricultural economy. In addition, many of Toqueville's observations were anticipated by ancient classical writers who could see the dangers of the mob rule accompanying democracy. De Toqueville perceived a lot of checks and balances against this but they may have had only limited effectiveness. I was surprised to see that he considered materialism to be such a strong influence even in the early history of the nation. His observations on the difficulty of abandoning slavery were somewhat true, as exemplified by the viciousness of the Civil War. I lost my copy of this book in the middle of reading it but am about to get another copy so that I can finish it, which indicates how important I think it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book., 24 Dec. 1998
This review is from: Democracy in America (Paperback)
This is probably the best book on the history of American Government. I loved it. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Analysis!!!!, 30 Dec. 1998
This review is from: Democracy in America (Paperback)
I took a class on Sociology and Law in college and my professor kept on referring to this book. I decided to see what he was talking about first hand and am glad I did! This book is expertly written and thought provoking. This is kind of book that you take out and reference every once in a while. Yes, it does get boring in some parts but I think that if you are in the legal profession or you just like history this is a book for you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 20 July 1997
This review is from: Democracy in America (Paperback)
This a book that every politician, political science major, or concerned voter should read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 19 Aug. 2014
A. Salter (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Democracy in America, Volume I and II (Optimized for Kindle) (Kindle Edition)
Very good