5.0 out of 5 stars 1 Word..... Outstanding!, 17 Oct 2006
Richard Brown "www.rdbrown.me.uk" (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Man (Audio CD)
I've been a huge fan of these guys since their last release 10 Stories Down, which saw the band reach new heights with soaring anthems and dreamy scapes embracing highs and decadently absorbing lows.

I've been lucky enough to get hold of a promo copy of the new album Little Man and I have to say... after a few listens, things are edgyer yet more polished this time around. The album just flows then crashes like wild rapids. You can hear the suffering from tracks Dead in the Water and the title track Little Man, but the main highlights for me are God Bless the Child & Wilting Violet, these tracks will rip through you with crashing beats and electronic fuelled ear candy. One track I cannot go without mentioning would be Snowdrops, 6 minutes of beautiful acoustics, strings & enchanting clapping apparently sampled from their US tour... purely intoxicating and magical!

Bruce Swoords vocals are improving all the time, sounding both earie and piercing yet powerful. There's so much to be heard on this album, it's almost a different experience each time i've played it. 11 tracks totalling 56mins leaves no room for complacency or dud tracks.

If you've not had the pleasure of experiencing Pineapple Thief before, this is a very good place to start, I can't think of particuarly close comparison but put me on the spot I'd say think Radiohead crossed with Elbow.

Buy it, truelly compelling stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to, if not their best!, 17 Oct 2008
This review is from: Little Man (Audio CD)
The Pineapple Thief's band-leader Bruce Soord said in a recent interview (October 2008, aftet the release of the most recent album "Tightly Unwound") that "Little Man" was his favourite from the band's albums. It's only been this last year that I knew about the band myself, having started with "Variations on a Dream", and I have not yet heard the first album, "Abducting the Unicorn", but I can see why Bruce likes this one so much. It is full of inspired melody and the rhythmic beat that are TPT's trademarks, good arrangements on the songs and is a very strong album indeed, and easy to like on a first listen.

Having only been a fan for a year it is perhaps a little early for me to come up with my own ranking but I can already say that it is amongst my own favourites, along with "Variation on a Dream" and the latest, "Tightly Unwound". Very enjoyable indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Little Man' but no little achievement, 19 Dec 2006
This review is from: Little Man (Audio CD)
This album, whilst very good on first listen, is definitely a 'grower'.

A more 'acoustic' album than most of the previous offerings, it quietly creeps up on you until you realise that, wow, this truly is a fantastic offering.

The lyrics have a minimalist feel about them. Let me explain what I mean. There are not that many per song because they say all that is needed and any more would be superfluous.

My favourites are the opener 'Dead in the Water',a track that builds quietly into a bombastic, frantic finish, 'Wilting Violet', the incredibly evocative 'Little Man' (I won't go into why on such a public forum) and the last track, a glorious 8-minute mini-epic 'We Love You' (to me a smaller version of my all-time favourite track, 'Remember Us').

Fans of cebrebral 'indie' music such as Radiohead, Coldplay, Elbow, etc., (note - music, not 3-minute look at me playing my guitar in a rock way trendy pop indie') will appreciate this album.

Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another find, 6 July 2012
I. White "seadragon13" (England) - See all my reviews
Only lately have I become aware of Pineapple Thief And this does not disappoint
good Stuff here for any fan of Prog Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth a buy, 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: Little Man (Audio CD)
What a fantastic band TPF are and this album doesnt disappoint.Run a mile probably is the best track on here and you would think it was Radiohead but they still seem to put there own stamp on it.Im just glad that there still playing the small gigs.

5.0 out of 5 stars little man,big album, 3 Aug 2011
This review is from: Little Man (Audio CD)
A pineapple thief album with a tear,beautiful in his own way.a album to listen again and again to understand how painful it must be to losing a child.it happened with bruce soord and his wife,felix died five days after his birth.the pineapple thief is one of my favorit bands incredible that it's not a big band like porcupine tree. the music of tpt deserves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly different, 31 Mar 2010
N. H. Berry (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Man (Audio CD)
Although similar to the other albums by TPT this is nevertheless a superb piece of work. Will appeal to anyone who likes their music different, listenable and quality.

Little Man
Little Man by Pineapple Thief (Audio CD - 2010)