4.0 out of 5 stars good game
Published on 20 Aug. 2012 by Demelza Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars On the Brink of smashing my Controller.
I've had the game for a week. Completed it and got almost all the achievements. So I've given the game a fair crack of the whip. Potentially great? Nope, potentially grating.

Published on 20 May 2011 by Thundermentalist (PSN), Stopha...

4.0 out of 5 stars good game, 20 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Brink (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I ordered only two days ago already here fantastic servis. This is a replacement for my 16 year old son as the original became scratched and unplayable,(the disc not my son.) so I decided for the price( under £4.00 ) to buy another.I now have a happy teenage and no more earache.over to my son the gamer.I haven't played it for a while so I am looking forward to having another go.From what I can remember about the game its self - the graphic are pretty decent for what they are.
Story line is intriging but could invole the player a bit more.
The 'what if' missions are interesting to play.
The SMART movement system makes it easy to move around and over objects.
It can be a pain when your are trying to get to an mission objective and your team are either falling behind or going the opposite direction and your are left alone to fend for your self, even when one of the six laws of BRINK states 'stay close to your team mates a team of lone wolves will always lose.' I cannot emphasise how true this is!
It's annoying when you have to play the game all the way through and you still haven't unlocked all the faction costumes.
To sum up - a cheap game to pass the time waiting for the rain to stop and I can go outside.

3.0 out of 5 stars On the Brink of smashing my Controller., 20 May 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Brink (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

The first online game I joined had my internet stuttering more than Gareth Gates did when he was about to get jiggy with Jordan. It was the laggiest Live experience I've ever had. My controller remained in my hands rather than disembowelled all over my floorboards, but it was touch and go.

Backed out and completed a couple of the challenges alone, which open up new weapons and perks, and they were quite enjoyable, especially the 3 Parkour ones, which played very much like Mirror's Edge. But unlike the Spec Op Missions on COD: MW2, they were over almost before they'd begun. Bit like Gareth and Jordan, I'd imagine.

Back to a MP game. This time it was mostly lag-free but did suffer a judder or two every 5 minutes. Now played the MP for over 12 hours. There have been a few issues:-
1. The enemy AI must have been created with the sperm of Zeus as they have an uncanny ability to require loads of shooting before they go down. Opposingly, they have the targeting skills of Robin Hood and are able to hit you once and kill you and on occasion shoot round corners, through thick walls and so on. It does get a bit annoying. Levelling up hasn't made a huge amount of difference,

2. The friendly AI is thick. For an objective based MP experience, the AI have an utter inability to grasp the basic goals. Medics take as much notice of your prone body as Charlie Sheen does of his psychiatrist.

3. At present the SMART system should add the word a-r-s-e to the end of it. Some game designer had a bright idea that has failed to come to fruition as it's a bit of a gimmick on some maps. It's a rather glorious failure - occasionally brilliant, invariably a bit rubbish. Let's hope that there's a Brink 2, just so we can see SMART work probably.

4.Which brings me onto my major gripe. The maps are poorly designed. Chokepoints can and will turn this game into a series of long, interminable drawn-out games. The game will be more about stifling the opposition through camping, when you're defending. You know how you get when the French are camping in COD. This has the potential to draw even more ire.

5. The guns currently have little punch. They don't `feel' right. As for the grenades, on most occasions you may as well throw a few foul-mouthed barbs at the enemy, for all the damage they do.

6. I found the whole getting into a game/setting up a game far more confusing than it really should be. I'm not a complete dope so feel the whole game needs to be much more user friendly. The user interface is pretty poor.

7. Respawns. Much like the boring bits in Red River, where you sit in a Humvee listening to your slightly racist CO waffling on about chopsticks, the annoying thing about respawns is the long run back to the action. Wasted gaming time. Yes, you can get revived by medic. But often they can't reach you. And if they're AI medics they're too busy looking at the state of the dystopian future and how the whole place needs a bit of a shake down by Aggie and the other old girl.

8. To get the best out of this game, you must play it with mates who share a team ethic. With a load of randoms, there seem to be too many lone-gun John Rambo's who want to take on the entire opposition.

There are probably a load of other obvious things I could mention but they escape me.

But, despite all this I actually quite enjoyed it. The graphics are shonky, the screen gets overly cluttered at times, the enemy plays like Terminator whilst you play like a more effeminate Sergio Pusquets and the lag in the first game almost made me punch my cat. This is a game that should only be tackled in MP. The social aspect and need to work as an organized team really focuses on the skills and techniques that Left 4 Dead did so well. Relying on the AI to understand teamwork and strategy is akin to putting Harold Shipman in charge of Meals on Wheels. It is very much a Marmite game and seems to reward and frustrate in equal measures but has the potential to be a decent co-op experience. Has it got longevity? Well that depends on how many of your mates have it and how regularly they play it.

I would presently give this a score of 6 apocalyptic landscapes out of 10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it if you're expecting CoD.....it's not, 17 May 2011
J. E. Culver (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brink (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I bought this game with a totally open mind.....and am pleasantly surprised.....a couple of things you will have to know....
YES it may take longer than 5 mins to learn the controls....it's may surprise people that there are some games a bit more complicated than CoD
YES there are some problems with lag....so play with some mates against 'bots...no-one cares about Kill/Death or Win/Loss ratios here
YES you may get killed from above/behind where ever...well go slow and look first before doing your headless chicken impression...and wait for a medic
YES the AI team mates might be useless sometimes...AI team mates in most games have always been dumb
YES you may run out of ammo...hope one of you team mates is a soldier
YES there maybe a few problems with it...they seem to patch problems pretty quick......have people forgotten how bad WaW and MW2 were when they came out...??

I does seem to me that people buy FPS and expect them to be like CoD...and if they're not they get bad reviews...BRINK's a different type of game and will take you a good couple of hours before you start to get the hang of it....be patient.....if not go back to the headless chicken tactics of CoD...

P.S before people think I hate CoD......I don't...I think BOps is a damn good game......But I appreciate a different type of shooter sometimes

4.0 out of 5 stars Take a breath and start again, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Brink (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Right guys, seen some reviews on here, which are a tad extreme.
I want to say now, this is pretty damn original. Think mirrors edge, crossed with Battlefield.
So in theory, one of the best things ever created.
Well, yes and no.
I'll start with the cons, which are not rare.
-Online, needs a bit of work on a few areas, connections aren't brilliant, and a lot of games you will lag.
-A party mode to make it easier to play with friends would be appreciated.
-Not a massive focus on story.
And now with the Pros.
-SMART system works a treat, once you get used to it. Took me a few private matches by myself to get this nailed, but now, I can leap away from any sticky situation I find myself in with relative ease. This isn't overpowered, you still can get an ass full of lead if you miss a ledge, or against a few too many bad guys.
- the customization is good. I thought, even though it boasts this feature, people will still stick to the same design (the hoodie and baggy jeans) but fortuanatly few people look the same, especially with the body types.
- Firefights are really fun, stand still and you get your head cut in half, strafe and you will probably start to see a light at the end of the tunnel. But free run, whilst blasting away at a group can rack up kills, and it's a breath the cool refreshing air into the rapidly boring FPS genre.
-Hundreds of ways to do a mission. I saw a review complaining about choke points... he evidently plays CoD. Get an engineer in your group and he can build shortcuts and new paths around the side, get an operative to hack and open doors, which can be used to flank, or just sneak to their objective faster. There is rarely only one path, with one part I counted 6 approaches, get some team work, and you could really dominate a map with the shortcuts.
-Finally the supply meter, I play medic, I play it on brink, WoW (yes I play it), and Battlefeild BC2, It's what I am. Brink is great, a lot of people say medics can revive making it overpowered, I beg to differ, revive and buff too much, you run out of 'supplies' making you as useful in a fight, as half a condom in a brothel. Watch your supplies, or even share them with team mates, to be the most effective.

Overall I gave it 4 stars, the originality, game play, customization and challenges Make this a great addition to any FPS fan's collection. I won't lie, it takes a few games to get into, I hated it the first game I played, but once you get the hang of it, BRINK is an extremely enjoyable game. With not half bad graphics, and a fantastically easy control scheme, meaning with only a small amount of practice, you won't be cannon fodder. But I won't lie, playing with friends is great, however, getting into matches with them, can be awkward.

2.0 out of 5 stars On The Brink Of Throwing My Controller At The TV, 8 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Brink (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I payed a very small price for this joke of a shooter, yet I still feel like bethesda have ripped me off and thrown me in the bin.

The reason I bought this is because, well... look at the front cover. Thats some awesome stuff right there! I had never played it before and I thought it looked really cool and it would be a decent shooter. God was I wrong. Freaking HOMEFRONT was better than this! And thats saying something!

Its such a shame, the intro sequence was really cool and set up the story in a nice way. Then on to bit where it let you make a big choice, to save or escape the ark, that was a nice way to start a game, I was really impressed especially when it went to the create a character part.

Once thats all happened you are finaly introduced to the crappyness of the actual game

Pros
-Graphics aren't too bad
-You shoot people in it
-Its damn original
Cons
-It feels horrible to play
-The controls are terrible
-Weapons, not matter if its an SMG or Shotgun, are really uneffective.
It takes like 2 clips of an SMG to kill ONE enemy, and a further load to finish them of when they are on the ground.
-The AI is TERRIBLE, they are like ants, scuttling around the place failing to shoot anything
that stands infront of them, 95% of enemies killed and objectives completed in one match will be from you.
-There is no difference between Multiplayer, Campaign and free play. The campaign is basicly multiplayer but with bots and a few cutscenes thrown in at the start and end of a match.
-The mulitplayer is bad enough

Overall I gave it 2 stars, it maybe one of the worst shooters out there but its original and looks cool.

4/10

4.0 out of 5 stars A great game... unfinished, 17 May 2011
This review is from: Brink (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Brink is a great game, the control interface is genuinely intuitive, the obstacle run function looks cool and works really well and I have spent many enjoyable hours playing it so far. The character personalisation is great... but they go overboard here about half the options they have would be plenty. But they are missing out on the online options, online you effectively play the campaign missions again either in co-op mode or versus human players, this grows a little weirisome. (The best mode IMHO is 'competition' which pits two smaller teams of humans against each other).

What is missing are the standard FPS online modes: Team Death Match, capture the hill etc. A note to all games developers: WE EXPECT THESE AS STANDARD! And really - how much additional coding time would it have taken to provide them?

Another slight niggle is how hard it is to find online games with a decent signal, the proportion with intollerable lag is about 50% (versus in my experience maybe 15% of COD or shadowrun games) but this may improve as we get more people playing it.

I hope Bethesda will provide us with a substantial update to enable more modes!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent "Bargain Bin" game, 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Brink (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I must preface this review with a number of things. Firstly, I bought this game for less than £5 with Prime next day delivery. Secondly, I don't have Xbox Live Gold membership, so knew full-well I would not have access to the multiplayer.

The game is a bit "busy" all the time with a lot going on on-screen, whether in-game or the HUD. The single-player is just like a multiplayer game in that there are different mission types which involve different objectives. It can become very repetitive if you stick at it for a couple hours. The game mechanics are fine, although the weapons balancing does seem very arbitrary, with damage and accuracy dropping off at range very quickly.

The AI is questionable, and the games this is best likened to are probably Timesplitters 2 or BF1942. Given that this game is about 10 years newer, you'd expect the AI to be a bit better.

You are able to modify and customise your character a great deal with different body types and gear. However since I only played it with bots, it was pretty irrelevant, as no one else could see it! There are no female characters at all, which is very disappointing.

I would recommend this game only as a time waster. It is passable, but not for the story, character development or anything that makes a game truly memorable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hype, 25 May 2011
J. Gloster (at my keyboard typing!) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Brink (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
1st impressions are that this game lacks alot of things!
Online can be extremely laggy at most times dew to alot of people using home shared wireless networks(confirmed by the developers) which ruins the online experience so you tend to stay offline for the most part unless you can put up with it,
When offline friendly bots tend to hold back from the objectives, good because you get all the XP, but bad because the enemy A.I is very good at everything it does including killing your teammates who tend to be standing around starring at the objectives,
The graphics are good and the SMART system is great to use and becomes second nature after a while.
The customization was another thing that alot of people were looking forward to but are now disappointed in,
you cant customize your gun camo to your liking and the character customization is very limited.
The trailer also showed akimbo with two pistols... there is no akimbo in this game :(
Overall im disappointed and i know a hell of alot more people that are too.
I just personally feel that putting your time and effort into this game doest feel like its worth it as it will get very old very quick maybe the p.c is better suited for this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars flawed but still a fun action game, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Brink (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I played this in single-player.

The storyline has a great concept, the graphics are excellent and the mechanics are solid.

However what you do in the game is not that exciting.

The biggest problem is that the level design is far too boring; there is very little variation and there's nothing unique about the maps.

The second problem is that the game has not been streamlined for single-player, it plays exactly like the on-line game.

The third problem is that the weapons are completely unexciting as they only include standard weapons - shotgun, machine gun etc.

The developers wasted an opportunity to make something truly unique from the otherwise interesting setting and storyline.

At the very least they could have added some cool sci-fi weapons...it is a sci-fi game after all and not a modern military shooter.

I could only play Brink in short sessions, it got too repetitive and boring otherwise. Played in this way it was OK at best.

3.0 out of 5 stars A frustrating let-down, 11 Jun. 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Brink, Brink, Brink...
Where to begin?
I've been excited for this game ever since I bore witness to the immense, stylish release trailer a year back. I just couldn't help but ponder over the possibilities of Mirrors Edge combined with Call Of Duty. Brink however, did not live up to my (or any of my friends') expectations. An overly defensive AI combined with an absolute copy of the singleplayer for multiplayer just isn't good enough for a game that was set back two times! Not to mention the narrative. Having played this game twice through from each perspective, I still fail to grasp the story, or become even remotely engaged with it. One of the main problems with the multiplayer is an insane amount of lag in every single game (not just my own connection), and the ability to change teams whenever you wanted left much to be desired. In conclusion, Brink had the potential to be a game-changer, but fell far short of the mark due to poor decisions when it came to the multiplayer and storytelling.

If you are looking for a game that you'll play once and trade back in, then this is definitely the game for you.

Brink (Xbox 360)
Brink (Xbox 360) by Bethesda (Xbox 360)