5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you word of mouth
Published on 20 April 2010 by Andromeda Descendent

3.0 out of 5 stars Good songs, can get a bit repetitive
A good singer, recommended to me. Nice CD but songs are a bit repetitive. Don't think I would buy any more.
Published 17 months ago by aitch

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you word of mouth, 20 April 2010
Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Family Jewels (MP3 Download)
Thank you word of mouth because without you I would never had sought out the singles and then downloaded this album. This is one of the most catchy, carefree and enjoyable albums I've heard in a while and it's getting many plays on my CD player and iPod. With a voice like a Greco-Cymru Lily Allen fused with an updated Kate Bush and song writing talent to match, Marina's going to be big in 2010. Most of her songs, including the fantastic Mowgli's Road and Hermit The Frog demonstrate an exuberance and disregard for convention that show genius just on the knife edge of sanity, with lyrics that keep rushing at you like ants on a sugar rush, a verbal pile up looming should they trip. There are some great slower songs too, with I Am Not A Robot and Obsessions bound to get much airtime.

You really need to try this album. Rare that people say this and are right, but you will thank yourself you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marina & The Diamonds - The Family Jewels, 24 Mar 2010
Paul S. Bateman (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Family Jewels (Audio CD)
Quite simply, i think this is a very underated album. There isn't one track that is bad, with several exceptionally good and i think personally that is a rarity these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars If only all pop music were this good !, 12 Feb 2010
T. C. Davies (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Family Jewels (Audio CD)
This is a great debut album, crammed full of instantly catchy pop hooks. I enjoyed this album the first time I heard it, and with repeated listening it just keeps getting better.

I only dip into pop music very occasionally, and it's rare that I find an entire album I enjoy, but you can't beat pop music for an instant sugary hit. This album is an excellent example of pop at it's best. Marina has a unique vocal style and large vocal range, the album is full of memorable tunes, and the production is excellent and rewards repeated listening.

If I manage to find just two more pop albums I enjoy this much within the next 12 months I'd be amazed and overjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album, one of the best of 2010 already, 13 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Family Jewels (Audio CD)
From start to finish its full of refreshing well written songs cross genres of pop/indie/piano(if it had its own genre :)/dance and more. I only new 4 of the 13 songs which is fantastic for someone who has been releasing music for the last year and half at least. The last track was only added very late on as I remember NME saying they got it on a seperate email after the CD promo arrived. There are no weak songs on this album at all, if you want something as a link up to 'if you like this you'll Marina' hmmmmm I think becuase she crosses so many genres and has such a unique distinctive voice she could be marmite for some people. I can hear the familiar sounds of Amanda Palmer (Dresden Dolls) Amanda Palmer - Who Killed Amanda Palmer? bits of Tori Amos Little Earthquakes bits of Kate Bush Wuthering Heights and the odd bits that arent a a million miles away from Lady Ga Ga The Fame Monsterand Lilly allen It's Not Me, It's You [Explicit] but don't let that last one put you off. She just switches almost mid songs through so many styles effortlessly with a voice that's truly awesome. Personally I think she is a fresh sound in the ever growing average electronic pop we are now subjected to. I do like Ellie Goulding but Marina is more stimulating for the ears. Next single being released in April I am not a robot was on an e.p released on a small label a year or so ago, but it definetly needs a release now when it can really shine. She will be the one everyone is talking about by the end of this year. Can't wait for her next album alreay. Hope there are some good b-sides for the single too :D Oh and with this album if you can get passed skipping Hollywood because you heard it too much on the radio it will make the album sound more complete. Just turn off your radio and listen to the album all day instead. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop, like it should be, 13 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Family Jewels (Audio CD)
Not much to add to the many other positive reviews of this album. She's going to have a tough time topping this. The tracks Hollywood, I Am Not A Robot and Mowgli's Road are instantly infectious, and it only took a second spin of the CD for me to be completely hooked by the others, which vary from upbeat to morose. Her voice is so strong for such a petite person, and she has an amazing vocal range. Pleasurably unusual lyrics for pop songs too; pop for thinking people, perhaps? Fabulous. In these days of mind-numbing pop objectifying women, her lyrics are a breath of fresh air for pop music. I just hope fame doesn't ruin her. This one's a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's A Rainbow, 21 April 2010
N. Messenger "njmessy" (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Family Jewels (Audio CD)
This was an occasion where I heard a song playing in an HMV store and just had to ask one of the staff who it was. The song in question was "Hollywood" which I fell in love with straight away. I thought it was a male vocal, can you believe that? I thought the song sounded a little bit like something Keane might have written and I thought it was a similar high-pitched male vocalist aspiring to follow in their footsteps, but the sales assistant brought me the CD album and there was pretty, very feminine Marina on the cover. I bought the CD then and there.
I think this is a very good pop album, hence the five stars. There are enough excellent songs to merit five stars in my opinion although (as is pretty much always the case) some seem to work better than others. I recently listened to 'Lungs' by Florence & The Machine and I rate Marina's work much higher. I really like Marina's voice. Florence has that annoying 'warble' that so many popular female vocalists seem to affect. Why?
The songs:

1. Are You Satisfied: Yes, I am thank you. A perfectly crafted pop tune very similar to the feel of 'Hollywood' and a well chosen album opener. Nice touch of strings here and there.

2. Shampain: Interesting title. I think it's a play on 'champagne'. I love the quasi-Prodigy electronic bass with a big Eighties drum beat. A very Eighties feel to the whole song actually. Maria Vidal could have sung this after 'Body Rock.' It would have been a Bananarama classic too...and I mean that in a positive way. This song throws a lot at you: great tunes, great sounds, interesting lyrics. Let's hope that it hasn't exhausted all of the album's ideas.

3. I Am Not A Robot: After the fun first two songs we slow down a little here. The strings return in a more dominant role. A pleasant tune, a pleasant sentiment...what more is there to say? There is a warmth to this song. Don't you think it might have been better if she had kept the song cold and clinical-sounding, more like a 'robot' instead? There would have been a certain irony to it then.

4. Girls: A fully-fledged pop song, all boxes ticked, even a 'Na na na' chorus but wrapped around a little core of spite. Great...although you have a go at 'Girls Aloud' and end up sounding like 'Girls Aloud'...huh?

5. Mowgli's Road: I'm not keen. I don't feel comfortable with the beat to this song. Is she using an uncommon 'time-phrasing' or something? I should really study the technical vocabulary of musical construction. Too many 'cuckoos' anyway.

6. Obsessions: Almost a ballad but then speeds up a little. I suppose you could dance slowly to this but you might feel a bit confused and wonder if you should just sway. Marina's voice comes dangerously close to picking up the aforementioned 'warble.' Why?

7. Hollywood: I just love this. I know that's a poor statement for a review. But just listen to it will you please?

8. The Outsider: A catchy chorus but you might call this song 'derivative-sounding?' It sounds like it could be the product of a number of pop artists so Marina has a bit of a swear to liven it all up. There's a nice little bit of piano in the last third of the song which reminded me a tiny bit of a P.J Harvey song (maybe from her 'Is This Desire?' album).

9. Hermit The Frog: This song is really good fun with a lot of sonic ideas all muddled up rather gracefully together and something lyrically about a 'glass balloon,' which sounds a bit dangerous...which might well be the point.

10. Oh No: The Eighties vibe is back...and it's no bad thing. I think it's the piano that does it. This has the same poppy vibe of tracks 1, 2, 4 and 7 and would do justice as a single.

11. Rootless: A mournful sounding, slower song. Bells crash in the background so you know its mournful. She's rootless. Something brassy-sounding tries to make a noise on this song but doesn't quite make it.

12. Numb: I keep forgetting this song. Then I listen to it again and wonder how did I forget it? A lovely melody and sounding far less doom-laden and over-produced than 'Rootless' before it, although retaining that song's dark melancholy. Actually, Marina probably didn't really need 'Rootless' on this album at all.

13. Guilty: There's a menace and an anxiety to this final song. Marina doesn't finish on an uplifting note. I'm also left feeling very uneasy about what happened to the dog.

So a bright, cheerful-sounding album comes to a close with three darker, more introspective songs. Marina can certainly sail the emotional spectrum but she utilises a wide palette of sounds as well as moods and perhaps this is why in my head I picture this album as something like a rainbow.
Diamonds sparkle with many colours don't they?
Apparently the 'Diamonds' refer to Marina's fans. If so, then I'm a diamond too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good songs, can get a bit repetitive, 14 Feb 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Now this is Brit Pop at it's best!, 4 Mar 2012
H. A. Davis (Huddersfield, Oooop North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Family Jewels (Audio CD)
Pssst...Want some pop music that doesn't sound like that populist tripe RiRi, Perry et al deem fit for human consumption? Well this is it! Just an album full of great pop tunes, but with character, no superficial transatlantic gloss and not a single California King Bed in sight! Ignore the muso critics who only listen to 'serious' music. Because, hey, I'm listening to Radiohead as I type and I love Marina. And as we all know, it doesn't get much more serious than Radiohead!

5.0 out of 5 stars A little off the wall in a good way, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Family Jewels (Audio CD)
A little off the wall in a good way. Quirky but not so much that you wonder why you bought the album. Some sonegs take a couple of listens but they are on the whole a fab selection. In my opinion some of the so far unreleased tracks are some the better ones. Buy if you like what you have heard of them so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY FAVOURITE ALBUM OF 2010, 23 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Family Jewels (Audio CD)
I LOVE THE FAMILY JEWELS !! THE VOICE OF MARINA IS THEATRICAL AND IT SOUNDS LIKE NO OTHER FEMALE VOCALISTS OUT THERE. I HOPE HER NEW ALBUM WILL BE AS GOOD AS THE FAMILY JEWELS OR BETTER.

***PRINCESS-LULLABY***

(FRANCE)

The Family Jewels
The Family Jewels by Marina & The Diamonds (Audio CD - 2010)