5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning..
It's always a special occasion when Turin Brakes release any material and 'Outbursts' doesn't disappoint. From start to finish it manages to be both epic and subtle from the monumental 'Sea Change' and the vocal heroics of 'Rocket Song' to 'Paper Heart' and the moving title track 'Outbursts'.

The quality of the songwriting will come as no surprise to fans of...
Published on 3 Mar. 2010 by Mr. A. R. Gamble

3.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics for Turin Brakes
Turin Brakes are one of those bands that I have always quietly respected and looked forward to every new release. I have to admit that I have been slightly frustrated with their past couple of albums and although every C.D has a track or two that is beautifully crafted, nothing has matched the sheer wonder of `The optimist LP'.
`Outbursts' has had mixed reviews from...
Published on 16 Mar. 2010 by Mr. S. Breese

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning.., 3 Mar. 2010
Mr. A. R. Gamble "Aron Gamble" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outbursts (Audio CD)

The quality of the songwriting will come as no surprise to fans of Turin Brakes and surely cements Olly Knights and Gale Paridjanian as 2 of Britain's greatest musicians.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb and compelling listening, 7 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Outbursts (Audio CD)
I was a late convert to Turin brakes , I had heard and liked early tracks but became a confirmed fam with The Dark On Fire Album ,paradoxically that album is the most unusual of all The 'Brakes' albums being the most produced and electronic , I loved it to bit's and have since acquired the their whole collection.
Outburts is a REAL treat - strong songwriting , great tunes and above all fantastic to listen to , standout tracks for me are the single Sea Change , Radio Silence , Mirrors (which I play and play and play), Paper Heart and The Invitation.
Well done lads - a long wait for new material but well worth it , I have converted my 2 teenagers - not difficult and we will all be going to Bristol to see the band next week - rarely have I looked forward to a concert so much and Pete Lawrie who I love to bits is supporting

British songwriting and musicianship at its absolute pinacle - this band has given me SO much entertainment over the last few years and it looks as if that will continue for years to come - I look to adding their 'covers' CD at The Gig - another new release of cover material

5.0 out of 5 stars Outbursts Review Martin JS, 4 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Outbursts (Audio CD)
Once again Turin Brakes return with some strong songwriting and production skills proving that a major label is not always required to make good music nowadays, this album has such a great mix of songs.
It's a lyrical journey I guarantee you will need to play over and over again, this is songcraft at It's very best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics for Turin Brakes, 16 Mar. 2010
Mr. S. Breese "steveb" (North West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outbursts (Audio CD)
`Outbursts' has had mixed reviews from the press and I can understand why. There are some tracks that leave you admiring their song writing talent (Paper heart, Sea Change & Radio Silence) and scratching your head as to why they aren't given the recognition they truly deserve. Unfortunately, other tunes completely washed over me. For most bands, this is to be expected, but for Turin Brakes, I feel slightly disappointed.
`Outbursts' is definitely a return to `better days', but I somehow feel, it could have been so much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars NOTHING LIKE THEM: It is a travesty that these guys are known by so few., 20 Mar. 2010
dNm1 (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outbursts (Audio CD)
Turin Brakes are relatively unknown, however they have a legion of devoted fans who might argue that they know no better musicians out there. For these fans, the release of Turin Brakes' latest album 'Outbursts,' must surely have struck a resounding acoustic chord of success. The band here are enjoying seemingly newfound freedoms without the choking hand of a corporate label. The result is that the familiar Turin Brakes creativity, poetry and lyrical honesty has never been so potent.

For those who know nothing of this band: their' song's are typically driven by powerfull, folk/rock acoustic, melancholy, self analytical, summer ballads which blissfully set the mood regardless of the day you've had or the weather outside. A long description, but they need every bit of it! I'm no musically attuned proffessional critic, but the I can honestly FEEL that the sound Turin Brakes make is good for the soul. Furthermore, there is nothing like them.

Reminising on each song:

Sea Change: A pulsating, acoustic driven political piece that moves to a dramatic ending creshendo. Engrossing.

Mirror: A great song. Talent with the guitar and vocals showcased, although it's the poetic lyrical imput that makes this a favorite.

Rocket Song: A skilled and melancholy output, that drives relentlessly forward. Brilliant. (The song is speaking of a space bound Rocket, not the garden herb -as discussed by the band at the Newcastle gig I attended!)

Paper Heart: Quiet, poetic and elegent, a slow, delicate song which acts as a temporary pace changer.

The Invitiation: Huge lyrical cinicism contrasts with an underlying sound of hope, all with minor key changes (I think!) that are frankly blissfully placed.

Will Power: A new, brighter tone is briefly set with this track, with an acoustic drive that promises a good day upon listening.

Apoclips: A song arguably reminiscent of the band's past track Dark on Fire, yet is a purer presentation of the band's talent and harmony in instruments. Utilizes both a surreal take on vocals and a proffessional integration of sounds and effects.

Embryos: Another delicate pace changer, folk driven, thoughtfull and as always, delivered vocally with great style.

Never Stop: Arguably the purest folk piece on the album, themes of self analysis are strong, thought provoking and punchy.

The Letting Down: A quiet and gentle piece of relaxing, mood setting harmony in music. Vocals are elegant, honest, and are enchanting. Sets a premise for the close of the Album.

Radio Silence: The Electric guitar is plugged in, and much like with the past fan favorite (the epic and resounding) 'Long Distance,' Turin Brakes show diversity and sheer power, another incredible mood setter with a brilliant hard rock chorus.

Outbursts: Honest, calming, and altogether beautifull. The track that names the Album is full of fantastic lyrical poetry and delecate acoustic skill.

'Outbursts' is an album where at the close of the final note you feel like you have been on a journey: not just a journey through musical styles, not just a journey through vastly effecting and mood setting sounds, but a journey in which a physical story feels like it has passed. The story is definatley there, but is one you cannot quite put your finger on. It is and will remain I am sure one of my favorite albums. I'm a 19 year old student, and enjoy greatly the mainstream rock and indie music that dominates my CD collection. I must be honest however, this is a class above it all. A refreshing breeze in your life; in a world that has become obsessed with money, mundanity, and cheap fixes.Listen and agree I hope! For new listeners: for a first Turin Brakes album, this is perfect.

It is a travesty that these guys are known by so few.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to their best, if not better!, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Outbursts (Audio CD)
You can sense that their new-found freedom has given them back something very special. The meddling big label fat cats are nowhere to be seen as Turin Brakes are once again crafting beautiful, subtle and natural songs like only they can. My personal highlights are Sea Change, Mirror, Rocket Song, Paper Heart & Apocolips.
Outbursts is most like their brooding first album, The Optimist LP, and their sunny third, JackInABox but has hints of the slick pop/soft rock sheen of their other efforts.
The chances are that if you don't get them by now this won't change your mind, but, if you have ever taken a shine to them, or musical peers Elbow, Doves, I am Kloot, Gomez and the likes, I guarantee that this album won't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars A relaxed Turin Brakes produce a delightful album, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Outbursts (MP3 Download)
Being a Turin Brakes fan for a number of years, I was a bit disappointed with Dark on Fire, their previous album, as I felt it was too different from their previous efforts.
However, after listing to Outbursts almost constantly for the last few weeks, it revitalised my love of this band, and acted as a good link to Dark on Fire.
Musically, it is extremely well written and, while not as 'rockie' as some of their earlier albums, you will be humming along to all in no time.
My only complaint is that it's often hard to listen to the rest of the album as I keep wanting to replay the first track over and over again. From the first few bars, it's undoubtedly Turin Brakes and surely has to go down as one of their finest songs to date.

If you were at all put off by Dark on Fire, buy this and you'll be delighted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to their best?, 24 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Outbursts (Audio CD)
Very nearly I think. Have been listening to this album practically every day since release in an effort to give it a fair go before I see them live again at the weekend.

I can't really fault it. Agree with previous reviewer of it being inbetween Optimist and Jackinabox. On one listen I knew I loved this album.

Stand out tracks for me Embyros, Will Power, Apocolips and Outbursts makes me feel emotionally drained with it's simplicity and beauty.

I'm not going to rate each song individually, however I will say that whichever Turin Brakes album I decide to listen to on the way to work (as I meander through London), it sets me up for the day.

A real return to form after the "grower" that was Dark On Fire. A must buy for fans old, and hopefully new.

Can't wait to see them on Friday night!

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious!, 17 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Outbursts (Audio CD)
As always, Turin Brakes take us on another lush and emotive journey that hooks you in from the first few notes and doesn't let you go til they're finished. Its been a few months now and i still HAVE to listen to it almost everyday. I found this album to be the most uplifting of them all, one you feel the need to sing along to, nod your head and tap your foot to without realizing and as such, have decided to gift it to various friends for xmas. And to stop listening to it on the train.
I wanted to tell you my favorite song on the album, but each time i thought i had it, the next song started....

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably ? The most overlooked and underrated band of the last 15 years, 24 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Outbursts (MP3 Download)
Got in to Turin Brakes years ago with Jackinabox (recommended) and then lost touch with a little research caught up and was blown away by this album. don't want to say it is better than Jackinabox because that album has its own character and flavour but if a noteworthy group produces more than one truly representative album that gives an understanding of a completely overlooked band then this is it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Outbursts
Outbursts by Turin Brakes (Audio CD - 2010)