Top positive review
11 people found this helpful
My Boys Are Back
on 15 May 2010
I've been a huge fan of Keane since the release of their second album "Under The Iron Sea". 3 albums (+1 "mini album/EP") in, and I'm still pretty much in love with them. The recently released Night Train EP is just as brilliant as their previous works.
I'll start with the songs I really really like:
1. Your Love - This has got to be THE BEST song of the EP. Tim's vocal, the music in general and the lyrics, all of them are perfect!
2. Stop For A Minute - I noticed that a lot of people don't enjoy the rap in this song. I myself am not a hip & hop fan, but I find the rap in SFAM not bad at all! Definitely a keeper.
3. Clear Skies - This song reminds me of the pre-Hopes & Fears Keane (when they were still a 4 piece "proper" rock band with guitar and bass). Definitely different from Keane's "signature" sound, but not less enjoyable.
4. My Shadow - Not a new song, heard it before. It has a great cinematic feel to it. Quintessentially Keane.
The "in betweener" (I don't really like it, but I don't dislike it either)
5. Looking Back - I don't find it special. Plus, the Rocky-esque hornline sounds kind of awkward to me.
The songs I don't like:
6. Back In Time - Apparently a fan favourite, but I'm sorry to say that I don't like the grating synth intro.
7. Ishin Denshin - IMO this is a result of them trying too hard.
8. House Lights - Not a proper song, so no comments.
Overall, I'm happy with way the EP turns out. Keane are brave enough to experiment with new sounds, regardless whether they succeed in it or not. And I applaud them for that.