Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 May 2010
A very mixed set of songs really. The bad news (for those who aren't fans of it) is that this EP does generally continue the 70s/80s pop style of Perfect Symmetry as several songs come laden with 80s style synthesisers and pop beats. Thankfully, there are some more melodic songs mixed in there too. Unfortunately, there's also some rap as well. Sorry, but Keane and rap go together about as well as Mozart and Slipknot. Part of Keane's whole underlying appeal has been how melodic their music is. And one of the defining characteristics of rap music is that it's generally devoid of much melody. It's all about the lyrics and their delivery instead. Trying to tie these two vastly different genres together was always going to be controversial.

As a result, songs like "Stop For A Minute" start off by sounding pretty decent with some lovely Keane melodies and a catchy rhythm. Then after a few minutes, the rap comes in and just ruins the song. The same goes for "Looking Back" as well. A song with lots of promise which is just ruined by the introduction of K'naan's rapping. If you like rap music of course, you may find these songs more to your taste.

As a final loudness related note, this EP has been far, far better mastered than Perfect Symmetry. The rough distortion and cold, harsh sound from Perfect Symmetry have gone and the songs on Night Train do generally sound warmer, more natural and more ear-friendly. It's not perfect and the drums do sound a little muffled on "Back In Time" for instance due to the loudness treatment, but it's massive step up from the unpleasant mastering on Perfect Symmetry.
on 29 May 2010
When I hear of an artist releasing an 'EP', I'm always sceptical. 'EP' to me is like the band saying 'I don't have enough good songs for a new album, and I have a few leftovers from the last, so lets put out an EP as a filler'. But, then I heard the fantastic 'Stop For A Minute' and thought 'WOW, I need to get my hands on this!! Being a fan, I had all else that they offered and thought that this could offer some redemption for the mediocre 'Perfect Symmetry' album. Sadly and disapointedly I have to say that they should have released 'Stop For A Minute' as a stand alone single. It's a great song that deserved to sit alongside others of that quality, but the EP fails to hit the standards set on 'Hope & Fears' or 'The Iron Sea' and their ventures into the world of rap just don't work. Two Stars for the 'Stop For A Minute' single only.
on 5 August 2010
Been a Keane fan for years. Loved them. This album though is a disaster. It feels exactly like it sounds. A collection of half baked songs winged on tour. A thorough disappointment. I'm left wondering why the band bothered. And why on earth have they introduced a rap artist to this 'none urban street group'? It has me seriously worried whether this might be a sign of imminent collapse. I listened to it a couple of times and binned at as unworthy for my collection of Keane albums.
on 7 May 2010
What the previous reviewer fails to recognise is that this is actually an EP and not an album and therefore 30 minutes is 'about right' in terms of length. Ok with that out of the way now onto the review! Keane are one of the few bands out there who dare to do something new and if fans are expecting a return to the Hopes and Fears days then they will be disappointed. This fresh new direction is all about marketing to their audience, and this they do very cleverly. At the moment everyone knows that a hip hop element within the song is bound for radio airplay and this is where collaborator K'Naan comes in. It adds a fresh twist to their already brilliant sound and the production as always is spot on. Having heard sections of the songs I can confirm that we are in for a rollercoaster journey of catchy, uplifting tunes which at this point in time earn their place up their with the best of them.
on 1 April 2015
Came to this EP a few years after the original release but seeing as there is little chance of any new Keane material for the foreseeable future, it was like listening to brand new music from one of my all-time favourite bands. It also showcases the diversity of the band's musical style and unlikely yet interesting collaborations. Excellent.
on 7 June 2010
I'll keep this short & sweet as I've got better things to do, I love the 1st & 2nd album and don't mind the 3rd Perfect Symmetry, this latest effort is dire, why have they resorted to putting rap into this album, there's no need! I can't believe they've done this, as someone who detests rap/gangster & R&B I'm devastated Keane have done this.

Why are people trying to like this album! Just admit it, it's poor and the rap has put me off this album forever!!!!
on 11 June 2012
The fourth of Keanes' Studio albums and a cracker.
Continuing the groups development and their willingness to try something different.
Their roots are still obvious and echo through most of the tracks.
on 7 October 2010
I don't get this album. I've enjoyed their previous releases (especially Hope & Fears and some tracks in Under the iron sea) but this album sounds always the same to me. In fact I was wishing it to end and I've listened to all song only with a strong willpower. I recognized some fine 80's pop arrangements but that's all.

Not their best album.
on 24 December 2010
I love Keane and up to date all of his albums where very good. This album was by far Keane's worst album yet! There was only one good song (only 8 on the album).
I hope that Keane will have a new album soon and that it isn't as terrible as this one!
on 7 May 2010
I really, really hope that this is not the direction that the next Keane CD is going - airplay through catchy rap collaborations is not what Keane are known and loved for.