Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 June 2011
I have to say it, I'm a big fan of the original release of Hellbilly Deluxe 2, but knew I had to get my hands on this 2 disc version. I'm not going to go too much into depth about the album itself, apart from saying it is an upbeat, eclectic, gratifyingly insane album so full of energy and aggression that it is a must have in any groove rock/hard metal collection. Here, I will focus on what's new in this release.

The big thing about the album is the inclusion of 3 new tracks featuring Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison, as well as an alternate version of the closing track The Man Who Laughs and the division of Mars Needs Women into 2 separate tracks. I'm a big fan of the new piece Michael, which fits into the album perfectly and has that brilliant creepy, long drawl Zombie has done to great effect on Educated Horses, but I'm not so into the 2 other new tracks (Devil's Hole Girls and the Big Revolution and Everything Is Boring). They are pretty standard for Zombie and seem like a step backwards in terms of style. They feel like outtakes that never belonged with the other tracks on the album. As for the changes made to The Man Who Laughs, I personally welcome them and embrace this new version as the definitive song. The splitting of Mars Need Women is in one way pointless, in another quite welcome. Makes it easier to put it on to just hear the driving parts of the song!

Now for the DVD, which is the real bonus on this release. A half hour tour documentary by Rob Zombie is the main attraction, essentially chronicling some off stage and performance footage of the band. To be honest, it's not big shakes and was filmed on handicams, but I've seen worse. Seeing some of the joking around and fan interaction is quite nice, though the poor sound quality makes a lot of the performance footage difficult to sit through. Any die hard fans should dig it, but casual fans may notice how much better Zombie sounds in the recordings than he does in the live performance. Also included on the DVD are two music videos, one a montage of performance footage for Mars Needs Women, the other the live performance of School's Out with Alice Cooper. Nice to see, not the biggest of shakes.

A quick word must be given to the lyric booklet. The art is (as always the case with Zombie) a homage to old horror movies and is a bit fun. There is plenty of his wife Sherri Moon Zombie, and just general love and attention in there. It's enough to make me mention it, so don't forget to give it a flip (in a good way!).

Overall, some of the tracks seem like the disk is just double-dipping, but this is definitely the definitive version of the album, as it always should have been. If you're going to hear this album, do yourself a favour and get this release of it.
on 31 December 2010
I've listened to this album many times and it's not getting old. First things first, don't expect a return to the style of the original Hellbilly Deluxe, that's not what it is. This album is a stand-alone.

Jesus Frankenstein - A sinister opening to the album. It's unlike any other Zombie track. From the crisp rhythm to the soothing acoustic sound, there is plenty to enjoy here. It's one of my favorites.

Sick Bubble Gum - A fast-paced, concise track, with a catchy chorus. Brings to mind older songs such as "Demon Speeding" and "Dragula", but there's a new approach used here.

What? - One of those songs that you listen to again and again, and never get tired of. This is one of the jumpier tracks with some insane imagery that I will never make sense of. A great track to put on repeat.

Mars Needs Women - A brilliant acoustic opening and a catchy song, but as has already been said a thousand times, the opening adds nothing to the song, this is one reason why I would recommend the special edition instead.

Werewolf, Baby! - An interesting concoction of rock riffs, piano, and effective vocals. Not one of my favorites, but still a strong track.

Virgin Witch - My only complaint developed here: the opening riff sounds almost identical to the riff which "Jesus Frankenstein" breaks into. Aside from that, this is a dark, heavy song, with another addictive riff and a slick solo from John 5.

Death and Destiny inside the Dream Factory - Jumpy with electronic vocals and a chorus that begs to be sung along to.

Burn - My favorite track on the album. It's menacing, heavy, with disorientating lyrics. I may have listened to it about 70 times, and I still love it. I can't get enough.

Cease to Exist - A dreary track. The synth vocals are interesting, and it is structured well. Again, not one of my favorites, but there is plenty to appreciate it for. It's a break from the other tracks as it is a lot more tame, making it a nice contrast to "Burn"

Werewolf Women of the SS - Like "What?" and "The Dream Factory" it is a song with a high tempo. John Five pulls off yet another great solo here.

The Man Who Laughs - Fast, melodic, and symphonic. It sounds pretty damn good. The 4 minute drum solo is concise and impressive, and no sooner has it's mind blowing speed decreased before the catchy chorus sweeps us up once again for a final journey.

I wouldn''t recommend this as your first ever RZ CD, but if you are at all familiar with him, don't miss it.
on 3 July 2011
If you enjoyed the first hellbilly deluxe album,i can't imagine why you wouldn't enjoy this one,it's also brilliant.
From the very get go,you know you're in for another treat from ZOMBIE,and it just keeps getting better.
As much as i like all the songs,after a couple of listens i really love MARS NEEDS WOMEN and the brutally honest EVERYTHING IS BORING NOW,a good point well made.I also found MICHAEL dark and brilliant.
The DVD is well worth owning,with a great documentary and 2 great videos,the clip with ALICE COOPER is very cool indeed. So even though you might wish the DVD was a little longer,it is still very much worthwhile.
I never had the original CD (with less tracks),but that kind of worked out for the better for me,as i only had to buy this brilliant package,but i would say even if you own the original,this surely can't disappoint.
What a better place the world of rock is with ROB ZOMBIE in it!
on 17 February 2010
Im still a massive fan of White Zombies Astro Creep 2000 and the first Rob Zombie solo cd Hellbilly deluxe and fully admit that anything he does that doesnt have the same production style of those and to some extent the Sinister Urge cd, is always going to disappoint me. If your new to White/ Rob Zombie then id suggest picking them up first.
Hellbilly Deluxe 2 isnt similar to those in that way but its really grown on me and i now really like nearly every track on it. The style of HBD2 is similar to his last effort Educated Horses, a cd i was hugely disappointed with but the actual tracks are (in my opinion) much much better with some great riffs and rolling basslines and Robs vocals doing what you'd expect.
A definate return to form which im really pleased about but theres still a part of me that wants to hear the huge production style of Astro Creep and Hellbilly Deluxe return, as they are 2 of my all time favourite CDs. What about another remix cd Mr.Zombie?
Play it loud and enjoy!
Cheers

Rich
on 12 August 2015
zombie released a few iffy things here and there over the years but when he named this album hellbilly deluxe 2 then the pressure was on, this is the rightful follow up to the classic first album that shares this name and again he knows it.
Its a snappy 11 track album, nothing too long, somethings too short I suppose. Upbeat, tongue in cheek and then the horror themes , always there, more constant here for sure. you have the uptempo rock of werewolf baby followed directly by the darker, rockier and nastier virgin witch, its that kind of album, different shades of the same man.
The entire band give a fine account of themselves and its a free flowing album and again that record time, 46 minutes works in that everything works more or less, a strong album for sure, packed with the confidence that was overdue.
on 27 June 2010
I love Rob Zombie and always will. His albums with White Zombie and as a solo artist have always been different to anything else, fun, driven, funky, hardcore, horror and down right good old metal. And this is no different, however what IS different about this album is that although this is an excellent album, it just doesn't have the same dynamism and fun of his other albums, this I feel mybe the album for conniseur Rob Zombie and metal fans rather than those of us that simply love the full on metal and fun of previous Zombie albums, let's hope that the next album is back to his previous best. By no means is this a bad album, far from it, just not as good as previous Zombie offerings.
on 8 November 2010
Unfortunately there is a lack of originality.

James mentioned in his review about the underlying riffs from Black Sabbath which are complimented by the foot-tapping rhythm of the RZ bass time.

I don't know why but I think of The Knack and "My Sharona" when listening to "Sick Bubblegum" while "What?" takes the riff from Rogue Trader's "Voodoo Child" (or if you go further back Mudhoney's "Pump It Up"). Then we have some slide guitar on "Werewolf, Baby!" which could so easily be Led Zep at their finest.

Despite this being less than perfect and some fairly obvious copying it is overall a decent album. Just don't expect this to be up there with "Strip" or "Astro".
on 23 February 2010
One thing a lot of metal bands seem to be doing lately is going from very Heavy Metal to Melodic and more toned down material. Pretty much what Rob Zombie did before he started directing films.
So I listened to this album with an open mind to see if I would be surprised or disappointed...
Straight away I hear the Rob Zombie we all know and love returning with his old school heavy metal style making me think ahhhhh ok so this might be interesting. Kicking off with the first track Sick bubblegum which I am already resisting the urge to hit the skip button. Still on edge I hope that the rest of the album would not disappoint, from What? To Burn every song had either my feet tapping or head nodding away
There is also a lot of guitar solos in this song which I haven't really noticed in his other songs so that makes a nice change
One thing I miss is the odd fast song as it was Super beast that got me into Rob Zombie and I guess I was hoping for similar tunes on this album although Werewolf Women of the SS delivered nicely
On the whole I am very happy with this album and don't regret getting it
on 7 January 2013
Sounds like it was written in a bit of a rush (ie: during a jam session), and is nothing like as well written and produced as "Hellbilly Deluxe", which is a CLASSIC by the way.
on 4 March 2010
I love this album,it hasnt left my stereo since i recieved my copy much to my girlfriends liking but oh well.He's going back to his old ways and bringing something new which is great. I must point out the highlights of the album are Sick Bubblegum, What, Burn, also Don't be fooled by the slow melody of mars need woman because soon as that gets going it blasts through your stereo. so buy it and enjoy this awesome album you wont regret it