5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget
Published on 7 Mar. 2013 by Mrs. J. M. H. Cross

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars Not as useful as it should be for the price.
The Gerber Shard is one of those items seen on many site reviews for EDC and the like. Everyone raves about how useful it is.... I'm not as convinced.
It's small, well constructed and "will" have it's uses. But for the price it offers little more than other multi tools for the same or even less cost.

I have a number of multi tools I carry around...
Published 8 months ago by Fitzy

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Gerber Shard Keychain Tool (DIY & Tools)
Definitely a hit for a man who has everything....my husband noticed that our son had one of these and decided he couldn't do without one himself...boys and their toys! However, he has actually used it - the screwdriver was used to remove a screw over a light fitting in our kitchen...saving him the 10 step walk to the toolbox in the garage! He is now desperately trying to find another loose screw somewhere in the house........I have my own opinions about where there is someone or something with a screw loose!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little keychain, 2 Jan. 2013
J. Marshall (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gerber Shard Keychain Tool (DIY & Tools)
I was looking for a simple keychain to replace an old and ailing bottle opener, this seemed to fit the bill for me.

The packaging was simple and easy, however the tool wasn't fully finished in the factory. When I took the shard out, it was covered in a thin layer of black powder. It was annoying to have my finger tips covered in it, but the shard was wiped easily with a bit of kitchen roll, it doesn't affect the finish, which is a nice matt black.

The Shard is discrete and is no longer then a standard front door key, seems very sturdy and wear resistant for the 2 months use it has had. Its a great upgrade from just a bottle opener and is a handy stop gap for those who don't want a leatherman on their hip all the time.

I have carried it on my keys with no problem through a number of international airports across Europe. Would happily recommend as a stocking filler size present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Keyring Tool, 29 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Gerber Shard Keychain Tool (DIY & Tools)
The Shard is a nice looking, solid and practical bit of kit that is perfect for keeping on your keys. I purchased to keep on my keys should I need any of the tools and for light use at work. It claims to have 7 tools:

Large flat head screwdriver
Small flat head screwdriver
Pry bar
Bottle opener
Phillips head screwdriver
Wire stripper
Lanyard hole

Ok, the lanyard hole isn't exactly a tool, but it is what I use to attach it to my key ring, where it is the perfect size to sit and is a pretty cool looking thing.

I have used all but one of the functions (I have not had cause to use the wire stripper) and all have performed well. The Phillips head may perhaps be a little too pointed to be totally useful, but it has done the job when called upon and actually makes a half decent bradawl if nothing else. For me the pry bar is invaluable at work where I open a lot of paint cans and remove a lot of tacks/nails and I have even used the flat heads to cut through tape on boxes as a last resort if my knife wasn't handy. It is a really sturdy piece that has taken a lot of hammer from me, but still appears almost ad good as new.

It wont, nor is it really intended too, replace your main tools, but all in all it is a really nice, little yet strong, bit of kit that comes in handy if you find your main tools have been misplaced.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as useful as it should be for the price., 21 Aug. 2014
Fitzy "yup." (OSWESTRY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gerber Shard Keychain Tool (DIY & Tools)

I have a number of multi tools I carry around with me at all times, but if I had to lose one - this would be the one to go.

On the plus side, it's light weight, looks good and will last.... but that is probably more own to the fact that I will instintivly count on my other multi tools more than this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Awkward bottle opener, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Gerber Shard Keychain Tool (DIY & Tools)
Maybe it's me and my big clumsy hands, but I dislike the bottle opener part of this multi-tool. Due to the curved nature of the pry bar section of the tool, the bottle opener twists when in use and makes for uncomfortable and difficult opening. The screwdriver is okay, but the phillips/pozi drive part did slip a little in use and maybe a little too pointed for older screws. It is a useful small tool, and ideal for carrying round due to the lack of blades, but I wouldn't want to use it for any serious work due to it's tendency to slip.

3.0 out of 5 stars mmmmmm skip, 4 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Gerber Shard Keychain Tool (DIY & Tools)
Not really impressed with this, wouldn't put in your pocket without a little tape around the sharp bits. Haven't found a really good use for it, really should see how easy it is to get nails out of a fence as thats the main reason i brought it. Nails are great in a shtf scenario, but there never that hard to find a box laying around in a shed anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dependable, every day carry key chain tool, 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Gerber Shard Keychain Tool (DIY & Tools)
Who knew a piece of small metal could be so useful on a daily basis - I would not be without one now.

Gerber have taken time to produce a well designed, minimalist tool yet functional everyday tool. Initially I was skeptical about the hype - Every Day Carry (EDC) forums love the Shard but compared to other offerings from the likes of Leatherman the Gerber Shard seem to cost a fair amount less, was it to good to be true. I was also concerned about the less than flat design (ie how would it sit on my key ring, would it be uncomfortable in the pocket etc), but after receiving the Shard it has become a permanent fixture and an everyday carry.

Tool includes a couple of flat screwdrivers, Philips screwdriver, bottle opener and a jimmy tool all in a neat black package. None of these in the form of a dedicated "traditional" tool have ever made it into my pockets on a daily basis (I don't walk around with 3 different screwdrivers in my pockets) and never have I thought I was missing out by not carrying the tools - however, suddenly i am finding I am using the Shard on an almost daily basis. Adhoc jobs can be done instantly rather than later or tomorrow - Screw coming out my sunglasses = sorted, nail protruding from fence = fixed, beer needs opening = job done.

The shard just seems to exist in a non intrusive way, but becomes a dependable key chain tool - even my wife has now ordered one!

5.0 out of 5 stars simple and elegant, 15 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Gerber Shard Keychain Tool (DIY & Tools)
i think this is a beautifully designed and engineered piece of metal. the cross head screwdriver works better than i had imagined, given that it's basically a flat (ish) piece of metal, it really shouldn't work, but it does. it's not going to replace the screwdriver in my tool box, but it has proven itself on a couple of occasions. the bottle opener opens bottles. the pry bar bit works well for removing tacks, but is invaluable at opening tins of paint - it is, without doubt, the best tool for job, it's worth the price admission for that alone. the flat head screwdriver isn't its strong point, but it works okay. the shard is a nice name, it feels solid and sturdy, yet despite that, it has no sharp edges, i keep mine in my pocket with my keys and it hasn't destroyed my pockets. the only downside is other people wanting to borrow it, which is a bit of a blessing, it makes a great gift. i've got one, but if i was given another, i wouldn't be upset

5.0 out of 5 stars Eternally useful, 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Gerber Shard Keychain Tool (DIY & Tools)
A great little tool perfect for a key ring or bag zip with a few handy essentials. The most useful maybe is the leverage function to help with prying open difficult lids etc. Especially worth it considering the price, already bought a couple of extras as presents.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Handy Addition, 12 Dec. 2014
CriticalMass (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gerber Shard Keychain Tool (DIY & Tools)
The Gerber Shard will likely not replace anything you already have but it does give you a few more options. I purchased it for those situations where you find you could've or should've taken a tool with you but didn't.

Its functions offer a basic fix to situations you might encounter on the go. The build is solid and size wise the shard fits nicely on a key fob. I would've like the option to buy a graphite or metallic version but its no big issue. I've had mine a few weeks now and the black coating is showing some wear around the edges as a result of being in my pocket with my keys. I don't think that this detracts from the look, and has given it a bronze/gold hue around the edges.

Perhaps a little pricey but a solid addition to everybody's pocket and a great little gift for someone.

Gerber Shard Keychain Tool