5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars or 1 depending on your taste for nostalgia., 19 Mar 2010
M. Boost "Boostie" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Look Back On 70's Telly - Issue 2 [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
This is a reminder of youth, coming home from school, throwing off the snorkel jacket, then waiting 5 minutes for the TV to warm up to experience Roy North snorting through a "My old Man's a Dustman".on GET IT TOGETHER - a hell and a joy in equal measure.

God the seventies were shocking!

Watching these children's TV thirty years later- it has to be said there are some real terrors here, notably YOU MUST BE JOKING which had me hiding behind the settee squirming fighting for the remote.

Black Beauty and Follyfoot Farm are well crafted and made with love. Raven is very much the stock children's drama of the time - a little creepy, dark and odd.

It has to be said at least they made properly constructed dramas for children back then.

A mixed bag here. But everyone worth watching for different reasons. At the moment I get oodles of demented pleasure from watching this great double DVD set.

However its a DVD that won't stand repeated exposure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia-fest or historical record of 70s society?, 27 Feb 2010
This review is from: Look Back On 70's Telly - Issue 2 [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
I bought this as I am ready to admit, I love a bit of nostalgia; not a particularly cool thing to admit, but there it is. I remember this period very well, and was a consumer of fish fingers, spangles and texan bars (as sugested by the cover of this DVD), so I looked forward to wading through the large amount of 70 TV on these discs. After viewing, I can say I have enjoyed most of them, but I am realising that rose tinted glasses makes one's judgement sometimes skewed!

Firstly we have Ace of Wands, a programme already released a couple of years back by Network, about a character called Tarot, whois VERY early 70s. This episode is a good one, and will drag you in. Secondly, the slightly po-faced Timeslip, with the very clearly older than she is pretending to be Cheryl Burfield and the winging tones of Spencer Banks. This is the only colour episode left after ITV junked much old and occasionally 'classic TV' (although they are less guilty than the BBC) and isn't the best Timeslip, but is fun non the less. Next up is 'Jamie', a strange country village based serial about a boy who buys a carpet that can travel through time. Very of it's time! Follyfoot has an episode too, which is dry and ends with the lead character in tears. Oh, happy days!

Shadows has a slightly creepy element to it (and features a pre-Blakes 7 Servalan), but is fun. Then things go slightly adrift; You must be Joking, Pauline's Quirkes and Get it Together are toe curlingly awful; no humour is to be found here and provides a strong arguement to why most kids were outside on chopper bikes when these dreadful programmes were on. The band Flintlock clearly have a big future behind them and the funniest thing abou thtem is Jim Bowen's haircut. Oh, and look out for a young pre-Spandeau Ballet Kemp strumming a song he should have left in his bedroom and a Phil Daniels with a poor attempt at a moustache providing musical back up. Very funny stuff!

Other well know series such as The Adventures of Black Beauty and Magpie are covered, typical for it's time weird and ghost based things are also featured (Nobody's House, a pre runner to The Ghosts of Motley Hall), Raven (what is going on here is anyone's guess), Tightrope (more whining Spencer Banks and a camp John Savident in a cape - I am still clueless to what it's about though) and a couple of precursors to Grange Hill/teenage drama in the form of Four Idel Hands (more Phil Daniels) and The Paper Lads (Geordies delivering newspapers, hardly cutting edge stuff). Robert's Robots is a first attempt by Bob Block who went on to do Jigsaw, and has a very young Sylvester McCoy and Christopher Biggins in it.

Network have done a wonderful job here, and even supplied a mini-Look-in-alike magazine. This is a very worthy purchase should this be your thing, but expect quality (in terms of content) to raise and fall at an alarming rate. When it's good it is great, and when it is bad, you'll be watching with clenched teeth and white knuckles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy days, 28 Mar 2010
This review is from: Look Back On 70's Telly - Issue 2 [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
I could watch 'Ace of Wands' forever, Tarot was my hero back in the day. Oh be still my beating heart! A great DVD for kids of a certain age (45+!), now........ where did I put my black-jacks?

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, again, Network DVD, 12 Jan 2013
This review is from: Look Back On 70's Telly - Issue 2 [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
Just to add another word of praise to all the positive reviews on here for this item and to appreciate the work Network DVD have gone to with this and all their other TV titles and giving cult TV fans what they want. Hours of great nostalgic entertainment on two discs featuring all the full episodes listed.Even if the memory of one show doesn't hold up in retrospect, there's a new less-well-known favorite to follow, and as TV continues to dumb-down TV will really appreciate the quality of these programs. The 'free comic' is a bit poor and a wasted opportunity but that doesn't matter with a set like this. Now to order the other volumes....

5.0 out of 5 stars 70'S TELLY, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: Look Back On 70's Telly - Issue 2 [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
Really enjoyed watching this nostalgiafest-it took me back to my childhood, which again according to my wife I never really left anyway!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you feel young again :), 17 July 2011
This review is from: Look Back On 70's Telly - Issue 2 [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
First of all, Network DVD do produce some cracking DVDs and this is no exception. The first few of these have been on my shopping list for ages now and I have only just got round to buying Vol 1 and 2.

I've had a quick flip through and it has taken me back decades..I'm 10 again! I will have to properly sit down and watch both discs fully but I'm a bit worried, as this DVD is a taster..what happens if I get hooked on a series again?

'Paulines Quirkes' was...interesting to say the least and having watched 'Get It Together' I was being totally unfair as I thought it was awful but what else did we have in the 70s?

I was looking forward to Magpie but I can't understand why they selected a Christmas edition for this DVD though. Quite disappointing.

Look Back On 70's Telly - Issue 2 [DVD] [1970]
Look Back On 70's Telly - Issue 2 [DVD] [1970] by Michael Mackenzie (DVD - 2010)