on 4 January 2011
I bought this because I wanted the full 4 part version of the Morceaux de fantasie and I only had Lugansky's superb thunderous part 2 from the disk "Rachmaninov : Preludes Op.23 & Moments musicaux".

While Rodriguez doesn't deliver quite so well in this movement, the rest of it more than makes up for it.
For this incredibly low price, you get 100 pieces mostly from Lugansky or Rodriguez. Both of these are solidly reliable - especially when it comes to Rachmaninov and this album is no exception.
Worth the £3.99 and much much more are the 17 Etude-Tableaux, Sonatas and Rodriguez's preludes Op32 (which seem to crop up on just about every Rachmaninov collection but are more complete here than most others I've seen).

There are the concerti 1-3 all recorded live. With Aleg Agarkov (No 1) and Albert Coates (1&3), the latter have poor sound quality compared to the rest of the disk but the first is very good.

I've still got more to get through but I had to post this review because I can't believe how inexpensive this amazing collection is.

What will £4 buy these days anyway? Six and a half hours of beautiful music that's what - until they notice they put the decimal point in the wrong place!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 June 2013
Rachmaninoff is one of my favourite composers. This is a comprehensive collection of his piano works which I have previously bought on separate CDs. I also enjoyed having the opportunity to compare Rachmaninoff's own recordings to those of more recent interpreters. I would definitely recommend this to others.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 June 2014
The recordings are brilliant for the money. What a set of gems. Worth just getting for the preludes let alone everything else. Really pleased with it for £3. I hope many more will try it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...