Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.19

With little more than a piano and some minor but
highly atmospheric augmentation from a celeste
and reed organ, German-born composer Nils Frahm
spins a diaphanous and enchanting web of sound.

There are three compositions in the collection.

The first, 'Ambre' is an elegant, gently rolling piece,
whose piano part is an exquisite autumnal melody subtly
enhanced with half-heard overtones from the celeste. Magical.

The second 'Nue', after a shimmering opening we encounter
the reed organ for the first time. Its plaintive song is not unlike
an old weatherbeaten voice from the sea; the accompaniment
perhaps the sun reflecting on the turning waves.
Two thirds of the way in and the organ strikes up a half-hearted
attempt at a spirited dance. Left to its own devices it eventually
spirals away into oblivion. A perfectly constructed little drama.

The third and longest piece 'Tristana' is a laconic series of
variations for all three instruments; rising and falling so
delicately, both in tempo and dynamic structure, that its gentle
forward movement would be unlikely to lift a leaf from the ground.
The reed organ occasionally delivers a statement of deep foreboding,
like a dark cloud passing over the landscape.
A beautifully sustained vision.

'Wintermusik' is a simply stunning listening experience.

Essential.
on 18 October 2013
An appropriately named album, evoking the feeling of winter perfectly with beautiful and ethereal soundscapes. This pieces of music deserves to be listened to properly and not just used as background filler sounds.
on 24 February 2016
I found this cd by chance on Amazon and I love it. It has been on repeat play now for a week! Along with Max Ritter's Sleep.
on 16 July 2014
As would expect from Nils a beautiful ethereal collection of pieces . Unfortunately there are only 3 pieces of music on the cd which was a little disappointing for the price.
on 23 November 2014
Sometimes I am watching a film or TV programme and the music is startling captivating. There are elements of Nils Frahm's Wintermusik which are a little bit like film programme music, but I have to say I love it and am pursuing others of his discs, as I also had Spaces which i liked very much
on 20 December 2015
Excellent
on 5 October 2014
When I want to relax and listen to some beautiful soothing music for a half hour I put this on and it helps me do exactly that. Gorgeous stuff for those ambient moments.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 March 2016
I bought this on impulse, and mildly regret it. Pretty mixed in quality in my opinion. But definitely worth a listen.
on 8 December 2013
I love Nils Frahm's enchanting music and this cd didn't disappoint. I have played it over and over again and notice something newly delightful each time.
on 9 October 2013
recommended as bedtime listening, it works in a meditative setting, but will do for any moment when you want a sense of calm and beauty