Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 December 2013
Wonderful release from Cherry Red records (having also released other Nolans LPs on CD).
As another review points out, '20 Giant Hits' has been available quite readily over the years, with different sleeves, and a very slight change to the content, so if you're a Nolans fan, old or new, looking for the original release, this is the one to buy - even has the original front sleeve!
CD2 is a wonderful bonus if you've always struggled to find their earlier material. I'm lucky enough to have all their Target Records material on vinyl anyway, but it's great to have it on CD (other than having put it onto CD myself a few years ago!!). The songs on this 2nd CD were released as the album 'Harmony' back in the early 80s, which can be difficult to find nowadays. I remember literally jumping up and down with excitement, at the age of 12, finding the Harmony LP in Littlewoods in Dundee - had never seen it before...didn't even know it existed!! There was also the self-titled LP on the Nevis label (which was a reworking of the original 'Singing Nolans' album!)...but I could only afford to buy one, so I chose 'Harmony', because it was the one with the picture sleeve!! I loved it! 'Won't You Make a Little Sunshine Shine' is probably the best song from that period; 'Back In The World Again' is wonderfully haunting .....30 years on, I'm still wondering what it's about!!!!
Buy it...you won't be disappointed
The original vinyl album on which this release was based was released in August 1978, the very month in which I started collecting records, and was among my first purchases. Obviously, I knew that these recordings were not the originals even then, but it was a good way to get a selection of big hits quickly, and I was impressed by the quality of these recordings. Perhaps the quality of this covers album is one reason for my continuing love of covers albums and cover versions of individual songs. Ultimately, I ended up buying the original hit versions of nearly all of these songs. The album has been released in modified form on CD before, with one of the tracks (Money, money, money) being replaced by a track (Something tells me something is gonna happen tonight) recorded at the same sessions, but as the B-side to a single. That track can be found here on the second CD..

The vinyl album that I bought turned out to be a one-off project for the sisters, as they subsequently switched to another record label and changed their style to a pop-disco sound, thereby appealing to a younger audience although I like their later music. Nevertheless, while their later music gave them singles chart hits in the UK and internationally, none of their later albums matched the success of 20 giant hits.

With the first CD here being devoted to the re-issue of 20 giant hits, with its original running order, the second CD contains the tracks recorded for various failed singles between 1975 and 1978. The re-issuing record label states that this set contains the complete recordings that the sisters made for Target records, but the booklet also mentions that a promotional single was made containing the soundtrack to the supporting TV commercial - mostly containing snippets from some of the songs. On one level, it would have been nice if this had been added as another bonus track, but maybe it would have irritated some listeners.

The liner notes in the package give an outline of the family's musical history beginning with their parents' career in the fifties and the evolution of their act into a family act involving sons and daughters. Eventually, first the sons and then the parents left the group, leaving only the sisters to continue the family tradition.

About half the songs here were UK number one hits for the original artists, while the remainder were all UK top ten hits. Many of them turn up regularly on multi-artist oldies compilations, or on re-issues of music by the individual original artists, but it's still great to have this collection released exactly as I remember it from 1978.
on 28 April 2010
I am a nolans fan but untill buying this album had nothing of the nolans earlier recordings,this album really is a very good addition to my collection.The girls do some wonderfull harmonising,and a very early recording from Coleen,made it very enjoyable.
on 20 June 2014
This is a double album with 33 of their cover version of old pop hits. This is their early stuff before they made it big in 1979 with "I'm In The Mood For Dancing. This album is only really for devout Nolans fans. None of their own songs are included. There's a nice selection of songs on the album but the title " Giant Hits" is misleading.
on 15 February 2013
A Great CD for any Nolans Fan brings back so many memories from the 1970's for me. As the previous reviewer says the track listings are all wrong when you load onto the computer and have to be altered manually.

I love the Nolan Sisters music their mellowness and it never fails to relax me.
on 27 September 2013
I love it! Some brilliant Nolans harmonies & so lovely to listen to the beautiful Bernie - may she RIP, bless her. This is a wonderful addition to my collection.
on 30 May 2015
Used to have 20 Giant Hits on an LP so was nice to find this. Easy listening good to unwind with.
on 22 April 2010
I was one of those who bought the 20 Giant Hits LP when it was originally released and at the time it was alright simply because there were few other recordings easily available.
Listening to it again now, reminds me of how mediocre the songs are. They're well sung as you'd expect but it's a bit of a poor selection.
However... with the addition of the other Target recordings this has made it a must-buy for me as this was the Nolan Sisters at their best - prior to becoming The Nolans - all those songs I heard on the radio at the time but couldn't get hold of as my local record shop only stocked records they knew would sell.
on 14 October 2015
love the nolan sisters lost this alban on vinal years ago great to get it on cd
on 15 September 2010
The sole reason I bought this 2 CDs set is because CD2 has Love Transformation on it, which is not available anywhere else I ever looked.

Unfortunately, the nostalgia of the Nolans does not match my current expectations. The music now sound too plain.

CD2 played properly on my old fashion Panasonic CD player, but when I played it on my computer in Windows Media, the program retrieved the wrong CD information from the internet, that of Tina Turner's CD, and as a result, the songs are played in strange orders and in bits and pieces even in sequential play.

Fortunately, I'm a computer programmer by profession, and I managed to tweak the program and entered information manually to avoid online automatic update.