4.0 out of 5 stars A really worthwhile travel accessory
Published 4 months ago by tony whewell

1.0 out of 5 stars Steripen Traveller faulty from the start
Published on 30 Nov 2011 by David C

4.0 out of 5 stars A really worthwhile travel accessory, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Steripen Traveler Mini Portable UV Water Purifier - Silver/Black (Sports)
Best £47 I have ever spent on water purification. The Travel Tap bottle drove me crazy on my Lands End to John O'Groats 90 day trek back in 2010. I really had to squeze the bottle hard to extract water through the filter and I never drew from discoloured water. This device just stririlises the quantity required. I often drew from contaminated river/stream water on a recent Midlands 5 night backpacking trek near Birmingham but suffered no ill consequences. Its only drawback is its weight (155g with 4 lithium AA batteries) bulk, reliance on batteries and perhaps cost. If you have £80 to spend I would look at the Ultra version which weighs 106 grams and uses button batteries to reduce bulk. Also bear in mind it stirilises but does not filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super easy to use and effective, 27 Jan 2014
The problem was it was so easy to use and very effective that I was becoming too comfortable with the water during my trip as my phobia to dirty water started to fade. I started eating lettuce (which is rinsed in tap water!) which didn't do me much justice. Nonetheless this has nothing to do with the product itself.

My tip would be to keep the manual with you during your trip, and keep it stored with the apparatus at all times. It wasn't that straight forward to use, and I had to practice it a few times before I got the hang of it. I would help a tad if the neck was a little longer (as I felt like I was going to drop it in my water container a few times) , but I'm sure the design focuses a lot of the portability, which was perfect in terms of design/purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 weeks in India, 30 Dec 2012
This well built device saved us a lot of money and time. We were taking tap water form hotel/ hostel taps into our bottles and after 1min it was clean and all bacteria killed. During all this time we had to replace our batteries only once! Strongly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Steripen Traveller faulty from the start, 30 Nov 2011
I bought this from Amazon for a trip to Kenya. Time was short so I did not have a chance to test it until the day before I left. It was faulty - the coded lights indicated a fault with the UV bulb, so it would not work at all. Fortunately I had bought sterilising tablets as a backup but I had bought 2 sets of lithium batteries for the Steripen which are therefore wasted. Amazon was great at refunding my money (thanks Amazon!). Looking at other reviews of Steripens it looks as if the manufacturer really does need to improve reliability - the device does look and feel well-made, and it was well packaged, but if it doesn't work it's no use - at this price they should test every item before packing. I won't buy one again.