on 21 April 2012
Searching for something to keep kinetic watches topped up, many such products came in fancy wooden cases and carried equally fancy prices. Time to get real...

I read many of the reviews for this device and concluded it gave a good balance of price & practicality. I was not disappointed with this when it arrived. A major issue is how noisy it is in operation. Mine makes a soft noise when in operation, much like the noise made by the mains electric wall clock I had years ago - not enough to disturb my sleep.

Four timer functions are provided, ranging from repeated cycles of 33 secs rotation followed by 12 mins rest to 1 hr rotation followed by 3 hrs rest. No advice is given on the choice of the most appropriate range. A simple calculation shows that the proportion of time the watch spends charging increases from 4.4% in the first example above (Mode A on the unit)to 25% in the second (Mode D). So, I guess it has to be Mode A if your watch is fully charged and just needs "maintaining" while not being worn and Mode D if your watch is significantly discharged. The intermediate modes, B & C could be useful if Mode A is not recharging sufficiently.

No advice was given in the instructions on how to remove the plastic blocks that the watch sits on. They are retained by plastic clips and very easy to remove if you have the knack, but leave you wondering if you are about to do damage the first time you try. Here is my method: Open the door of the unit and look carefully at the plastic blocks that carry your watch, two of the sides carry small triangular markings. Grasp the block with finger and thumb positioned on the sides indicated by the triangles and gently twist the block so your thumb pushes the block inwards and your finger outwards. With minimum pressure, the plastic clips should release and you can withdraw the block. If this doesn't work, try twisting in the opposite direction. If you are getting it right, the clips release easily with hardly any force at all. Do not try and rotate the block in the same way the mechanism does to wind a watch!

All in all a good product at a good price. Some shortcomings in the documentation but nothing you can't work out yourself.
on 13 May 2010
Does everything you require for two watches at an excellent price. Personally I wanted one that can be programmed and this does the job at a very competetive price, simply load the watches set the program and walk away and it is almost silent - ok in the bedroom. The service has been first class, the initial example had a faulty timer which I reported and a replacement dispatched which arrived the following morning. If it lasts as well as it performs it will be an absolute bargain.
on 7 December 2011
3 years ago I bought my first watch winder from Amazon. This machine did last 3 years in a every day use. So after it broke (tripped over by our dog) I needed a new one. Due to the excellent experiences on the first purchase I decided to buy the same again. Hopefully my dog does not start playing with it again.
So Quality is 4 star (it is only plastics etc.
Price is 5 star. Good price, way lower
Supplier 5 star. Quick easy delivery and quick sending, way quicker than was promised(5 working days and it go it 2 days after ordering..).
on 26 August 2011
The product is just the right thing to wind my collection of self winding watches, but I don't think I could sleep with it going in the bed room; it is self explanatory when it comes to operation but instructions enclosed to help.
I would recommend this product but some may find a little too loud.
on 6 June 2015
Bought this recently and it exceeded my expectations for the month or so of ownership. I hope it keeps running for a long time without issues.

Its very quiet, literally can't hear it unless I put my ear next to it. Seems sturdy enough and rather smartly designed for easy access. As for the magnets in the door that some people talk about, these are the weak type of magnets, tiny as well, not the and I deodymium type, so I doubt it should create any magnetic field strong enough to affect a mechanical watch, certainly not more than bringing your watch close to some appliances , speakers, etc. which I'm sure most of us do all the time.

I got the plain plastic one, instead of the "fake" wood one and I'm glad I did because it looks pretty fine and better plain plastic than plastic made to look like wood.

I must admit I was more worried about the holders inside, if it will fit properly with my mechanical watches but its fine, easy to use for either bracelet or leather, although I would find it highly advisable to close the buckle instead of leaving it loose to avoid the watch banging about or becoming dislodged. Should not have a problem with bigger watches either, my biggest is 42mm , weighs about 180 grams with the bracelet and the unit does not seem to struggle with it (I had another slightly smaller piece, also on bracelet in the other slot).

Electricity consumption is very very low as well, the output from the adapter is only 0.5A (4V) which means the motor can't be bigger than 2W/hr .

So far, a great purchase!

LATER EDIT:

For those of you that wonder how many RPM (rotations per minute) or TPD (turns per day) this model has, I have went and timed it with my trusty G-Shock :P and the results are as follows:
- it revolves fully once every 8 seconds give or take, which gives an approximate rate of 7.5 RPM, so it turns your watch 7.5 times per minute.

- using the numbers given in the specs for each more and working it with the above, we have the following results, taken with a grain of salt of course:
Mode A = ~ 475TPD (probably too little for most watches, unless you preserve some spring reserve over the week-end and wear again Mon)
Mode B = ~ 1080 TPD (should be fine for most watches, albeit a bit on the high-side - 750 TPD would have been better)
Mode C = ~ 1540 TPD
Mode D = ~ 2700 TPD (mode C & D should NOT be used on a regular basis as it will put unnecessary strain on your watches)
***all numbers have been rounded off***
on 9 April 2010
I have owned several different brands of watch winder over the years,one costing over £400.Now this watch winder has not got the same fruit wood cabinet as my expensive winder,but is actually quieter to run,and does the job just as well.A bargain in my opinion!!
on 29 June 2010
It does the job well and I would recommend it for this alone. However, if you are looking for something to be on view then this is pretty basic to say the least - but why pay more if you are just tucking it away?
on 13 January 2014
I ordered this due to good price and good reviews.

It is easy to fit different sized watches even my huge seiko orange monster.

However, it is noisy in operation and kept my wfe awake.

It became more noisy over time then stopped working altogether after about a year.

Amazon replaced it without question, but the next one was just as noisy, and failed again after about a year.

Amazon refunded the original cost, and i invested in a (much) more expensive "modalo" winder. I hope it is more durable!

It's certainly cheap and given amazon's excellent return policy i suppose it might be worth a try, but as we had 2 units fail i wouldn't but it again.
on 21 November 2010
When I first got my watch winder I set ot to operate on the most frequent time setting (12 seconds every 90 mins) but after a couple of days realised that my watches were loosing time. I have now set to operate on the next setting and now they are keeping very good time. Also when its in use it is noisier than I imagined it would be. Although not enough to keep me awake.
on 10 January 2012
Yes, it's plastic, but I still think it looks good. Yes, it feels rather flimsy, but the construction strikes me as sufficiently robust for what it is required to do. You can pay hundreds (if not thousands) for watch winders, although I suspect you are paying for the wooden box (interior of a Bentley, any one?) rather than the mechanism. This is a cheap version that (so far) offers very good value for money. It is quiet enough to place in a bedroom, if that's where you want to wind your watches.....
I have only one caveat: it does NOT work with Seiko "Premier Kinetic Direct Drive" watches (I believe Seiko call the movement "e-motion") - the movement of the winder appears to be too gentle for this particular brand of watch. If anyone knows of a watch winder that does work with the aforementioned brand/model of watches, please let me know.
All in all a good product representing value for money.