5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully made documentary - can't recommend enough
Published on 10 Dec 2009 by Marina

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but...
Published on 10 May 2011 by Odysseas

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully made documentary - can't recommend enough, 10 Dec 2009
Marina (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Might Get Loud [DVD] (DVD)
Watched this film on a plane without any prior knowledge of its existence, and what a huge treat it was. Intelligently constructed by Davis Guggenheim - and frankly a great concept too - the three guitarists are very well chosen. We landed 20mins before the end of the show - hence my searching for the DVD - and I can only say that I was v distraught to be torn away from it. Great archive footage, great contemporary footage, genuine insights, contrasts, humour and needless to say, some not-half-bad music as well... HIGHLY recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating stuff, 8 Dec 2009
This review is from: It Might Get Loud [DVD] (DVD)
What a nice little documentary. Some very interesting nuggets and a look into the workings of the creation of individual guitarists 'voices'. The balance between the three ages of experience is a good dynamic for the discussion/jam session too. I don't play anything myself but it was all very understandbale to the lay-person and I'll definatley be buying for some of my mates who do play.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wanna rock!, 20 Jan 2010
I. Fannin (Milan, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Might Get Loud [DVD] (DVD)
You can read the title. You know who is in it. So it should be no surprise what you're going to get.
It's not intended to be a super detailed history of the 3 guys, any such film would be 5 hours long, but it is intended to bring three great guitarists together, who have all dedicated their life to an instrument that has moved in and out of fashion and who have all ended up going in totally different directions. But they still share a love for the instrument and now have a chance to explain what it means to them.
I'm guitar player, so I loved it.
Just to see the look on Jack White's and The Edge's faces as Jimmy Page breaks into Whole Lotta Love in front of them makes the film alone priceless and worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for guitar fans but save money and buy the DVD, 21 Jan 2010
Vinman666 (Essex, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: It Might Get Loud [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
This documentary is as much about the guitar itself, as the guitarists and their love of it. Jimmy Page says that the guitar should be treated "like a woman" but if it were one Jack White would have been locked up years ago based on the evidence of blood stains and good kickings! Given the differences in approach, this might have been a bit more spiky than it turns out. For example, The Edge refers in his section to "over indulgent 16 minute guitar solos" which might have been aimed at Zeppelin; meanwhile Jack White bemoans the use of technology in the creative process yet The Edge is famous for his pedals and effects. The programme is only ever going to apeal to guitar fans and guitar players but among the highlights are Jimmy playing the riff to 'Whole Lotta Love' (watch the other two trying not to grin) and all three playing 'In My Time Of Dying' on slide guitars - I defy you not to drum along Bonzo-style.

Stylistically, the visuals largely match the rough and ready vibe, partly due to their vintage nature (60's and 70's footage of Led Zeppelin) but also the scenes shot in their homes have a grainy, candid feel. This is entirely in keeping with the purpose of the documentary, but does render the high definition format of Blu-ray largely un-necessary. The scenes featuring all three guitarists together have full clarity but they are infrequent among each individual's own story. Neither is any use made of Blu-ray's multi-media potential: the only 'bonus feature' is a set of deleted scenes. The soundtrack is DTS-HD Master Audio but that is the only feature over and above the DVD.

I bought the BD as it was only a few pounds more than the DVD, without having seen it at the cinema. If I had, I would have stuck to the DVD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but..., 10 May 2011
This review is from: It Might Get Loud [DVD] (DVD)
First of all, congratulations to the film-makers for putting together such an interesting package. I would never have imagined that bringing Jimmy Page, the Edge and Jack White together would work, but it does. In this film, Page's guitar playing sticks mainly to the riffs that made his name. The Edge shows how he uses electronics to enhance his sound, essentially playing very simply, but enhancing everything with a huge box of tricks. I'm not sure if I like it, but it is a different approach to the other two. The person who fascinated me was Jack White. He talks about how he picks up old guitars in junk shops and finds a way of producing a unique sound from them. It's not the easiest way to go about guitar playing, but coupled with his very committed approach it works extremely well. The only other guitarist I have seen do the same thing is Elvis Costello. Of course, White is the only one of the three who is also a lead singer, and so inevitably this has an influence on his playing, although this is not touched on in the film.

However, truth be told I was a little disappointed with the film overall. To break it down to its bare bones, in essence the film is in two parts: one which goes back in time with each of the guitarists to look at how/why they started and do what they do; and the second part in which the three of them are together discussing guitar playing and jamming together. The look-back into the past was all very well, but for me there was just too much of it, and after a while I just got bored. On the other hand, the part when they were together was great, but there simply wasn't enough of it. I can only imagine that a huge part of this session was left on the cutting room floor when it should have formed the meat and potatoes of the film. A lost opportunity.

Having said that, the idea was great, and I'd love to see an 'It Might Get Loud 2', this time perhaps with Jeff Beck and a couple of other unexpected guests.

4.0 out of 5 stars Long, long, long (longer), 22 Jan 2010
This review is from: It Might Get Loud [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD a day ago, having not seen it in the cinema. Basicallly if you love the guitar or any of the players involved you'll love this.

The best moments generally involve grand-master Page, especially when he plays 'Whole Lotta Love' you can literally feel the screen grinning in the magic of the moment.

The only downside is that the scenes with the three of them together don't seem to make up the majority of the film. I think I could watch the unedited footage of the three of them trading licks and talking for most the day.

There's a bunch of extras which are pretty good, and will inevitably leave you wanting more, especially the ones which just cut off with out really concluding.

Enjoyable, rewarding and frustratingly short.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I'd hoped!, 12 Jan 2010
A. K. Denman "violetdoll" (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Might Get Loud [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this film late on a snowy Friday night and being a big fan of Led Zeppelin, of U2- until the last 3 studio albums and definitely not Zooropa- and intrigued by Mr White I hoped it'd be great. And it was, I could have sat there listening to them talk for another hour or more.

The film is presented and styled really well giving personal histories of how they became the musicians they are, why and how they feel about it, also how they define creativity and what has inspired them. Great use of live band footage too. The meeting itself involves the 3 of them talking about and demonstrating some of their creations and jamming together. I'm not a musician and I was fascinated. My partner is a guitarist and singer and he was too (and he's not a particular fan of any of them). 3 such different men from 3 different generations. See it on a big screen- it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It get's loud..., 2 July 2010
O. Roggenbuck - See all my reviews
Very nice !

Although none of the three guitarists in this documentation is among my favourites ( that would be Stevie Vai, Gary Moore, David Gilmore, Ed van Halen ), it is a very impressive view on the life and art of some interesting artists.

I could learn a lot, how their style has developed during their career. And what drove them to do exactly what they did. I enjoyed this a lot. It's very intimate.

There's the young and radical Jack White. His style is very noisy. It's like he tries to get back to the very roots of rock music to discover what's it all about. Fascinating.

Or The Edge, who's dedicated to guitar effects. He's always looking for that perfect sound matching with the music that's in his mind.

Finally there's Jimmy Page, the legend from Led Zeppelin. The young guys were smiling a lot when he was starting one of his famous songs. He seems to me so elegant, that's my impression.

You can watch them enjoying this meeting so much. It's fun. It makes you smile, too.

So there are loud moments in this movie and quiete ones.

Besides that, the sound quality is very good. The picture of course is another story. There are lots of very old TV scenes, which can hardly be called even SD. On the other hand there are the studio recordings from the meeting, which are of good quality.

All in all, i can recommend this Blu ray to all who are interested in rock music and how some important artists found their sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Interesting Documentary, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: It Might Get Loud [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I sat down to watch It Might Get Loud for the first time last night and, I have to say, I was very impressed and inspired by the final film.

The film features three prominent guitarists - The Edge of U2, Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin and Jack White of The White Stripes, who is the least known of the three here, arguably. At the very least, he was in my eyes. These three men arrange to get together with their various electric guitars and have a chat amongst themselves regarding the instrument, how they first came into contact with it and why they feel it is so important to the world of Rock music.

What follows is a total journey into the three men's lives. The Edge takes you to Mount Carmel School in Clontarf, Dublin. This is where Larry Mullen Jr. first put up the now famous sign, "Drummer seeks Musicians to Form Band", and U2 were born. The Edge takes you into the classroom where U2 first rehearsed together and shows you the bulletin board where Larry put up the said sign. For me, this segment of the documentary was worth the money alone! Fortunately, this would only be a mere snippet of what was to come.

Jimmy Page takes you to Headley Grange where, most notably, 'Led Zeppelin IV' was recorded. He brings you into the hallway where Bonzo set up his drums many moons ago and recorded that famous drumming to 'When The Levee Breaks'. I found this to be absolutely priceless footage - remarkable stuff!

Finally, Jack White begins in Nashville, Tennessee and then takes you to Detroit, Michigan, which is where he grew up as an apprentice upholsterer. What he reveals about his childhood is a total revelation. I do not want to spoil much more of the documentary here, so I shall stop while I am ahead.

In between all of this, the three men talk music, their record collections and influences and the various techniques and effects they each consult when working in the studio. All of it makes for a very interesting and entertaining watch indeed for 97 minutes or so. A highly recommended documentary, overall.

Finally, the Blu Ray quality.

Picture Quality - During the Contemporary Footage, the brightness, contrast and sharpness work quite well for the BD quality. The film in full is not perfect, as you have much stock footage scenes, especially in Jimmy Page's segments, and these do not work for Blu Ray/HD at all... but they are still pretty good.
Me, I had never seen this before buying the Blu Ray, so I was lucky, but I can say that it is pretty good all round.

Sound Quality - Well, It Might Get Loud!

4.0 out of 5 stars good price, not as good content, 14 Dec 2010
This review is from: It Might Get Loud [DVD] (DVD)
I would have expected more technical content and chatting from these incredible guitar players, but the movie is 85% about their beginnings as guitar players and as members of their famous bands. Not that much about why they use some guitars, others or which kind of effects they use, which I think it would have been much more interesting.... Apart from that, it was cheap, so it was worthwhile as you don't find these documentaries anywhere else.. Well, maybe you can find it all on wikipedia, but not on a screen....

ARRAY(0xa0a4e240)

It Might Get Loud [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
It Might Get Loud [Blu-ray] [Region Free] by Davis Guggenheim (Blu-ray - 2010)
7.00