5.0 out of 5 stars final review after hearing both symphonies, 12 Sep 2010
This review is from: Dvorak: Symphony No.7 & Symphony No.8 (Audio CD)
Review of the seventh (5 star):

The seventh is not my favourite Dvorak symphony. I like 4-6,8,9 better. However, this version more or less did open my eyes for its beauty. I've Dohnanyi and Sinaisky (BBC recording), and heard Fischers recent recording, but they failed to drag me into the work like Mackerras did.
Edit: I've increased my rating from 4 to 5 stars. I've heard the Macal recording on Exton also now, and after hearing and comparing 5 recordings, this one clearly stands out as a performance.

Review of the eight (4 star):

The recording of the eight I think to prefer after hearing once in the past is Kubeliks DG record, but that's based on memory. This performance was very good, but not leaving me completely satisfied. For me it sounds as if the orchestra's sound is not completely suited to the music. Strange after feeling that convinced of the seventh (but with a long period between listening sessions).
Shortly hereafter I heard Dohnanyi/Cleveland. I preferred that one to Mackerras.

Sound rating (both symphonies): very good live recording, without being outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars CD Dvorak S7 and S8, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Dvorak: Symphony No.7 & Symphony No.8 (Audio CD)
I bought a used CD of Dvoraks S8 and S9, a bit below the cost of a new one. It was delivered well on time and is perfect. I was very pleased with this purchase

Dvorak: Symphony No.7 & Symphony No.8
Dvorak: Symphony No.7 & Symphony No.8 by Philharmonia Orchestra (Audio CD - 2010)