5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio, better than Pure
I have been using a Pure 2000 for the last 3 years and thought that the signal drop out and gurgling went with the DAB territory.
Bought this Roberts and on my normal 14 miles cycle commute (towns and country) had zero signal drop off or gurgling, BRILLIANT!
Published on 22 Jan. 2010 by D. Dowdeswell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but prefer the Pure PocketDab 1500
I ordered this radio to replace an ageing Pure PocketDab 1500 which had given me excellent service. I sent mine back because I had the same problem as another reviewer in that it kept switching itself off and on again every few minutes. So, already for me a question mark over reliability. I expect I was just unlucky.
The appeal of this new model was the in-built...
Published on 10 April 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio, better than Pure, 22 Jan. 2010
D. Dowdeswell "Derekd137" (Gloucester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberts Sports DAB/FM RDS Personal Digital Radio with Loudspeaker - Black (Electronics)
Another good feature is the larger and brighter text size of the display, it saves me using glasses or squinting when navigating channels etc.
Also used it in the car with the same good reception and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Radio!!!, 9 Jan. 2010
Travel all over the country and always like to listen to the radio while i'm away.
I bought this little radio after having owned a few others that didn't come up to scratch and found it awesome.
Perfectly clear sound whether its in the house playing through the speaker or in my pocket playing through headphones as i'm out and about.
It really is the best personal audio player i've ever owned (and i've owned a lot).
DAB reception awesome!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio, 6 Jan. 2010
Excellent little radio , reception is excellent both on FM and DAB , the speaker is surprisingly good for a radio of this size and gives you another option to the headphones. Its not quite up to the build quality of the PURE DAB 1500 I also have but its not far off and also a bit smaller.really happy with the unit , I listen mainly to sports commentry etc and this is ideal for that, cant mention enough how good the reception is, found well over 50 DAB stations on what was a very cloudy , snowy day.If you need the added option of the speaker then go for this.Very simple to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but prefer the Pure PocketDab 1500, 10 April 2010
The appeal of this new model was the in-built speaker that gives it extra versatility. I agree with at least a couple of reviewers on here who say that the quality of the sound from the speaker is merely adequate, but it is a useful feature. To use it, though, you need to extend the very flimsy telescopic aerial. My immediate impression was that it could break off at the slightest touch.
Its smaller and lighter than the Pure. The light is visible all of the time, whereas the Pure only lights up when you touch the buttons. This means you can read the DAB text while you listen. I liked that, especially listening in the dark. Also handy was the sleep timer - another plus over the Pure.
The sound quality is good through the supplied headphones. For music stations I found it comparable to the Pure (i.e. excellent) but for speech programmes including 5 Live and football commentary (my main uses), the Pure beats it comprehensively in my view. Voices sound harsh and echoey to me. I did also experience some background hiss as others have mentioned, but again this was only really noticeable when listening to speech channels.
Navigation is fairly simple on the Roberts, but again the Pure scores higher in this area. In particular, access to presets on the Roberts seems slower than actually finding them by scrolling through the channels with the toggle switch. The Pure's presets are accessed in a matter of seconds - surely thats the point of setting them.
The charger supplied with the Roberts is light and compact, like a mobile phone charger. The Pure has a large and heavy one. Makes no difference is you're using it at home, but travellers may prefer the Roberts one for its better portability.
All in all, they're both very good, but for me, the Pure has the edge, even without the speaker.

4.0 out of 5 stars cute well performing personal radio, 7 Jan. 2010
T. F. Fliervoet "Timon" (Eindhoven, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I just acquired this little personal radio as a replacement for my E-TEN 100. I have tried a few others, but this one really performs beyond the others.

Pro's:
- reception quality in both DAB and FM; far superior to the E-TEN and the Pure 1500. I am living in an area with limited DAB stations and a weak network, but experienced only very few signal droppings.
- user interface to select different stations, jogwheel is nice to operate, although the direction of the wheel is counter intuitive (up should be down)
- extra loud speaker so you can listen without earphone
- size of the radio is nice and small, without lossing grip
- overall sound quality when listening with my shure headphone is well above average

Con's (and therefore a 4 star i.s.o. 5)
- no adjustment of treble / bass
- it would have been nice to also be supplied with a non-UK powerplug / adapter

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 21 Jan. 2010
S. G. Whitehead (UK) - See all my reviews
I apprecite the size, quality of construction and the thought that's gone into the design of this pocket radio. However it is is let down badly by the quality of the audio. Using in-ear phones the background hiss is very annoying even in strong signal areas.
In comparison the audio from the rival Pure PocketDAB 1500 is superb.
Perhaps I got a poor one as other reviewers find the audio good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Battery life and sound quality, 10 Mar. 2010
Only had this a week, but overall I'm impressed. It's very light and small enough to fit in your pocket without discomfort. Yes the FM aerial is very flimsy, but it's often possible to get good FM reception without extending it at all, and of course for DAB you don't use it. I live in Brighton, and compared to my old Pure 1000, this definitely gets better DAB reception around here.
Another reviewer notes some problems with sound quality and I do also have concerns here. At very low volumes - I often listen to it as I'm falling asleep so don't want it too loud - there is indeed an audible hiss or sound of interference. And like all these modern radios, it's hard to get the perfect low volume, it's always just a little too loud or too quiet. But compared to the Pure in this specific respect, I think the Roberts wins out. And once the volume is a little higher, you would be hard pushed to notice any hiss. I should also point out that I mainly listen to talking radio, so sound quality isn't perhaps as important to me as it might be if I listened to a lot of music. (Unfortunately, the music from 'a history of the world in 100 objects' remains crystal clear.) If you do listen to music, I think you will certainly want to invest in some better quality headphones.
Battery life seems pretty good, but I am worried it will deteriorate. There is no way to easily replace the built-in battery and while it lasts for ages at the moment, I'm not sure what one can do once that battery life has shortened. After a full charge it goes from three bars to just two disconcertingly quickly, but it must be said that the charge remains on two and just one bars for an impressively long time. I listened to it frequently for a full two days before it finally gave up all together.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing reception when listening on the move, 18 July 2010
I'm a great fan of Roberts radios and have had several different versions of the analogue 'sports' radio. I like to listen to sports commentary through headphones when poddling in the garden. My last radio failed to recover - reasonably enough - from being dropped on a concrete floor, so I opted to try the new digital version of the sports radio. Like all the Roberts radios I have owned it is beautifully made and a pleasure to handle, and if I sit still and fine tune the radio by moving it around to get good consistent digital reception, either through the headphones or, with the aerial raised, through the speaker, it is a very good radio. The problem is that isn't how I want to use it and carrying in my pocket, in the way I have the analogue versions for years, means mostly listening through hubble-bubble and digital silence.It is unbearable as well as immensely frustrating. I live in the suburbs of a major city in the Midlands, so would expect reasonable digital coverage, and indeed the digital radios in the house work very well, but this beautiful little machine can't do the job I bought it to do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware the battery! Very disappointing from Roberts., 5 Aug. 2010
When I first saw this radio I seriously considered buying it but hesitated when I read about the dreaded sealed lithium battery.

I noticed it said nothing about being able to replace it when it died so I emailed Roberts to find out more. They emailed me back and said that at present there was no facility for replacing it and added that they'd anticipated the life expectancy at around 3 years with 'normal' usage.

In my opinion this will obviously vary greatly from listener to listener. So does that mean that if you listen a lot to this £70 radio then in a year or two it may stop working? And not because of any technical fault but simply because the sealed, non replaceable battery has died. Or even if Roberts do eventually set up a way of replacing it how much will it cost and will you have to send it away somewhere etc.

Why has Roberts suddenly changed its battery technology for this radio? Who at the company took that ridiculous and costly decision? Surely they're not going to hop on the Pure bandwagon and start charging people £30 a time for lithiums?

Why doesn't it run on rechargeable AA or AAA batteries please? At approximately only £1.50 p/cell retail the technology is now very cheap and well sussed thanks to the latest Hybrio cells. They retain 85% of their charge for 12 months even if left idle in a drawer! What's more if you're away from home and really stuck you can always just buy some normal Alkaline batteries at any shop and pop them in the unit to keep you going until you're back again. Apart from cry what are you going to do if you're lithium battery dies halfway through a weekend's fishing trip?

Roberts already have a perfect prototype to work off amongst their premier, portable, analogue radios. It's called the Sports 988 (R9988) and costs less than £50 on Amazon. It's the mutt's nuts and with a bit of tweaking they could have done us all a big DAB favour, cleaned up financially, and stuck it up Pure's lithium big time.

Dear oh dear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Sports DAB2 radio, 1 Nov. 2010
I have now had a chance to use this Roberts radio for about a month or so now, and having had the Pure DAB pocket sized radio prior to this one, i feel that i can fairly compare the two. Both are very good in their own right, but i must say that i prefer the Roberts one over the pure one. I think that the sound quality is pretty much the same for both when using the headphones, so no real advantage for either there, but for me the Roberts one has the edge in that you can use it as an ordinary type of radio and play it so that everyone can hear it if thats want you want to do. The quality of sound is pretty good considering its size, and sufficient for what anyone would probably want it for. Its not going to fill a room with wall to wall sound, but i doubt that anyone would really expect it to given its size, but it is really useful when perhaps you dont want to put your headphones in and just listen to it in the traditional way. A very nice little product in my opinion.