5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio, better than Pure
I have been using a Pure 2000 for the last 3 years and thought that the signal drop out and gurgling went with the DAB territory.
Bought this Roberts and on my normal 14 miles cycle commute (towns and country) had zero signal drop off or gurgling, BRILLIANT!
Published on 22 Jan. 2010 by D. Dowdeswell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but prefer the Pure PocketDab 1500
I ordered this radio to replace an ageing Pure PocketDab 1500 which had given me excellent service. I sent mine back because I had the same problem as another reviewer in that it kept switching itself off and on again every few minutes. So, already for me a question mark over reliability. I expect I was just unlucky.
The appeal of this new model was the in-built...
Published on 10 April 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio, better than Pure, 22 Jan. 2010
D. Dowdeswell "Derekd137" (Gloucester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberts Sports DAB/FM RDS Personal Digital Radio with Loudspeaker - Black (Electronics)
Another good feature is the larger and brighter text size of the display, it saves me using glasses or squinting when navigating channels etc.
Also used it in the car with the same good reception and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Radio!!!, 9 Jan. 2010
Travel all over the country and always like to listen to the radio while i'm away.
I bought this little radio after having owned a few others that didn't come up to scratch and found it awesome.
Perfectly clear sound whether its in the house playing through the speaker or in my pocket playing through headphones as i'm out and about.
It really is the best personal audio player i've ever owned (and i've owned a lot).
DAB reception awesome!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio, 6 Jan. 2010
Excellent little radio , reception is excellent both on FM and DAB , the speaker is surprisingly good for a radio of this size and gives you another option to the headphones. Its not quite up to the build quality of the PURE DAB 1500 I also have but its not far off and also a bit smaller.really happy with the unit , I listen mainly to sports commentry etc and this is ideal for that, cant mention enough how good the reception is, found well over 50 DAB stations on what was a very cloudy , snowy day.If you need the added option of the speaker then go for this.Very simple to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but prefer the Pure PocketDab 1500, 10 April 2010
The appeal of this new model was the in-built speaker that gives it extra versatility. I agree with at least a couple of reviewers on here who say that the quality of the sound from the speaker is merely adequate, but it is a useful feature. To use it, though, you need to extend the very flimsy telescopic aerial. My immediate impression was that it could break off at the slightest touch.
Its smaller and lighter than the Pure. The light is visible all of the time, whereas the Pure only lights up when you touch the buttons. This means you can read the DAB text while you listen. I liked that, especially listening in the dark. Also handy was the sleep timer - another plus over the Pure.
The sound quality is good through the supplied headphones. For music stations I found it comparable to the Pure (i.e. excellent) but for speech programmes including 5 Live and football commentary (my main uses), the Pure beats it comprehensively in my view. Voices sound harsh and echoey to me. I did also experience some background hiss as others have mentioned, but again this was only really noticeable when listening to speech channels.
Navigation is fairly simple on the Roberts, but again the Pure scores higher in this area. In particular, access to presets on the Roberts seems slower than actually finding them by scrolling through the channels with the toggle switch. The Pure's presets are accessed in a matter of seconds - surely thats the point of setting them.
The charger supplied with the Roberts is light and compact, like a mobile phone charger. The Pure has a large and heavy one. Makes no difference is you're using it at home, but travellers may prefer the Roberts one for its better portability.
All in all, they're both very good, but for me, the Pure has the edge, even without the speaker.

4.0 out of 5 stars cute well performing personal radio, 7 Jan. 2010
T. F. Fliervoet "Timon" (Eindhoven, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I just acquired this little personal radio as a replacement for my E-TEN 100. I have tried a few others, but this one really performs beyond the others.

Pro's:
- reception quality in both DAB and FM; far superior to the E-TEN and the Pure 1500. I am living in an area with limited DAB stations and a weak network, but experienced only very few signal droppings.
- user interface to select different stations, jogwheel is nice to operate, although the direction of the wheel is counter intuitive (up should be down)
- extra loud speaker so you can listen without earphone
- size of the radio is nice and small, without lossing grip
- overall sound quality when listening with my shure headphone is well above average

Con's (and therefore a 4 star i.s.o. 5)
- no adjustment of treble / bass
- it would have been nice to also be supplied with a non-UK powerplug / adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality problem quickly resolved, 2 Feb. 2010
B. Kimber (England) - See all my reviews
When I first took it from the box I was very impressed with the solid neatness of this little radio and clarity of reception. However, the following day whilst out walking the quality of reception deteriorated and became intermittent. At first I thought it was probably due to poor signal but this was not to be - I had a faulty one. I followed Amazon's return procedure on the web link and having selected 'replacement' rather than 'refund' I soon discovered a replacement was on its way free of charge - even before I had returned the faulty unit. The replacement arrived in 4 days. I am absolutely delighted with this radio. It is so easy to select stations, display is very clear and the loudspeaker is a useful bonus.

B. Kimber

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 21 Jan. 2010
S. G. Whitehead (UK) - See all my reviews
I apprecite the size, quality of construction and the thought that's gone into the design of this pocket radio. However it is is let down badly by the quality of the audio. Using in-ear phones the background hiss is very annoying even in strong signal areas.
In comparison the audio from the rival Pure PocketDAB 1500 is superb.
Perhaps I got a poor one as other reviewers find the audio good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Portable DAB radio, 14 Mar. 2010
H. Aulak "Stratocruiser" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I can't fault this portable DAB radio. The reception is excellent and sound quality is goog. The loudspeaker is also a very useful addition (not many portable DAB radios have this). I listen to the radio daily whilst travelling around the UK and rarely lose reception of stations. It's easy to operate and neatly styled, with a lock button to prevent accidental button pressing. Battery life is also good - about 15 hours with headphones, though less when loudspeaker is used. I would recommend this product without hesitation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Battery life and sound quality, 10 Mar. 2010
Only had this a week, but overall I'm impressed. It's very light and small enough to fit in your pocket without discomfort. Yes the FM aerial is very flimsy, but it's often possible to get good FM reception without extending it at all, and of course for DAB you don't use it. I live in Brighton, and compared to my old Pure 1000, this definitely gets better DAB reception around here.
Another reviewer notes some problems with sound quality and I do also have concerns here. At very low volumes - I often listen to it as I'm falling asleep so don't want it too loud - there is indeed an audible hiss or sound of interference. And like all these modern radios, it's hard to get the perfect low volume, it's always just a little too loud or too quiet. But compared to the Pure in this specific respect, I think the Roberts wins out. And once the volume is a little higher, you would be hard pushed to notice any hiss. I should also point out that I mainly listen to talking radio, so sound quality isn't perhaps as important to me as it might be if I listened to a lot of music. (Unfortunately, the music from 'a history of the world in 100 objects' remains crystal clear.) If you do listen to music, I think you will certainly want to invest in some better quality headphones.
Battery life seems pretty good, but I am worried it will deteriorate. There is no way to easily replace the built-in battery and while it lasts for ages at the moment, I'm not sure what one can do once that battery life has shortened. After a full charge it goes from three bars to just two disconcertingly quickly, but it must be said that the charge remains on two and just one bars for an impressively long time. I listened to it frequently for a full two days before it finally gave up all together.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing reception when listening on the move, 18 July 2010
I'm a great fan of Roberts radios and have had several different versions of the analogue 'sports' radio. I like to listen to sports commentary through headphones when poddling in the garden. My last radio failed to recover - reasonably enough - from being dropped on a concrete floor, so I opted to try the new digital version of the sports radio. Like all the Roberts radios I have owned it is beautifully made and a pleasure to handle, and if I sit still and fine tune the radio by moving it around to get good consistent digital reception, either through the headphones or, with the aerial raised, through the speaker, it is a very good radio. The problem is that isn't how I want to use it and carrying in my pocket, in the way I have the analogue versions for years, means mostly listening through hubble-bubble and digital silence.It is unbearable as well as immensely frustrating. I live in the suburbs of a major city in the Midlands, so would expect reasonable digital coverage, and indeed the digital radios in the house work very well, but this beautiful little machine can't do the job I bought it to do.