5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, does exactly what it says on the cover.....
Published on 25 Jun 2001 by Dr. S. Comtois

2.0 out of 5 stars Obviously I was just too dumb???
Ok, so I ignored the advice given in the introduction and tried to read the book from cover to cover, so you might say that it was my own fault I didn't enjoy it. However, I would maintain that - however I'd read it - I'd have found this book very disappointing.
Published on 19 Mar 2004 by Joanna Lloyd-Rogers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, does exactly what it says on the cover....., 25 Jun 2001
Dr. S. Comtois (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after realising my knowledge of world history was lacking and I wanted a quick fix solution to the problem. This book does this in a friendly, easy to read manner. The author takes you on a rollercoaster of a ride on the formation of the first known human civilisations through politics, religion, philosophy and how this has affected our our current global topography. It is also full of little anecdotes wich are both amusing and very informative. If you would like to know how the saying "Dr Livingstone, I presume" came about, I would reccomend this book wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Information, 24 Feb 2010
Alan Stone "corky" (Cumbernauld, Scotland) - See all my reviews
A great book for anyone wishing to brush up on their world history knowledge.Very easy to read and very informative, it gives you an overview of all the important landmarks in history without being too in-depth. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Obviously I was just too dumb???, 19 Mar 2004
Joanna Lloyd-Rogers (London) - See all my reviews
In general I wouldn't consider myself a dummy, I am well educated and knowledgeable on many subjects. History NOT being one of these I hoped that this book would give me some background. I wanted there to be a spark of knowledge in my head when I heard reference to a particular period of history on the radio for example!
Sadly, having read much of the book I feel none the wiser. The information was often difficult to understand and even more difficult to retain.
For a guide that is marketed to "dummies", the author assumes a fair degree of knowledge in his readership. The most glaring example of this is the almost complete absence of maps in the book. Especially in the early chapters, there are numerous references to ancient kingdoms etc. Are we supposed to know where all these places were? Or does the author think we are so "dumb" that we won't care?
Packed with facts and dates the book does indeed tackle the whole of history in one volume. However, much of this information lacks the interesting context or logical structure that would make it stick in the readers mind.
It's a nice try at tackling a huge subject, but sadly the author did not manage to get the information from the page into my brain as I had hoped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does Exactly What it Says on the Book Cover, 17 Nov 2009
T. CURRY "Topcat70" (West Mids, England) - See all my reviews
Great book, easy to follow and in simple terms. We use it as a reference book to keep handy when we want to check on something we've heard mention of on TV but don't really know much about it!

4.0 out of 5 stars for dummies... really!!, 4 Feb 2010
Josie Reich (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
It really is what it says it is, a general overview of the world history, very brief and very general. But it is a good starting point for anyone who really does not know anything... What I don't understand is why it isn't all in chronological order, I don't know if the author was trying to be a bit inventive, funky or so, but it is hard to follow history that is not in order...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 28 Oct 2013
This a going to be a Christmas present for my wife and is just what I ordered. It arrived in just three days and was packed well. Looking forward to ordering more in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars World history or American history, 9 Jun 2013
E. Lee (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Too much focus on the history of america and so it did not really do the job of increasing my understanding of history.

5.0 out of 5 stars All good, 6 Jan 2013
I bought this as a gift. The recipient is enjoying it. For my part it turned up as I expected and was in god condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good :), 14 Feb 2011
This book is a very good basis for learning about work history, from BC to AD. Wouldn't be able to reference this book in a university essay but it is ideal for getting your head round topics that academic books make too complicated!

World History For Dummies