on 18 May 2010
My 3-year old son is a Thomas addict. For the past 18 months we've been amassing a collection of the Thomas Wooden Railway. Suddenly, the existing wooden range has been discontinued and replaced with a larger, more babyish train collection. My son doesn't like it, so we've switched lines to this, the Thomas Take-n-Play series, which is itself a new version of Thomas Take Along, another series that has also been discontinued. I is all very confusing and easy to buy the wrong series. If you ask me, with so many different versions of Thomas, the brand licensing is a mess. HIT Entertainment, which owns the rights to the Thomas name, has given anyone with cash the right to produce toys and games with the TV / film series characters.

If you own wooden tracks, you'll need the new track, which is now made of plastic. What is annoying is that none of the Take-n-Play trains work with the old wooden track. Made by the US toy company, Fisher-Price / Mattel, the Thomas Take-n-play series is very well made, with wonderful detailing that gives enormous play value to the under 5s. The die-cast engines are attractive and durable with magnetised couplings that hold well. They have a charm that's missing from the more basic wooden models. So, all in all, this is a step in the right direction. Both individual engines as well as the sets are much cheaper. Even the new plastic track is good and provides a more stable and easier to assemble line for the trains to run on. My only complaint is the lack of commonality with the wooden series, which means we'll need to buy every engine all over again - which is exactly what Fisher-price wanted to achieve, that's what makes me somewhat cynical and annoyed.

However, if you're a first-time Thomas buyer or just stuck wondering which version of Thomas to get, I'd say that Take-n-Play is the one to go for. This particular item, Tidmouth Sheds, is great. Not only does it have excellent play value, it is also a useful carrying case for the various engines. There is an increasing number of new engines, including a talking Thomas. Wonderful stuff, but so far no battery-operated engine that chuffs along under its own steam. (Please produce one Fisher-Price). I expect this range to get better. In the meantime, I just hope it will have greater longevity than previous Thomas versions.
22 comments|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2011
Bought this for my 2yr old. It has taken a lot of abuse and still looks like new! The sheds can also be used to store the trains which is handy when they are taking it somewhere. It also clicks onto other take and play items easily. The carry handle is excellent and it is really light for the little ones to hold. A must for all thomas fans!
on 23 August 2012
What a great design. Really easy to pack and travel with. The track is attached and folds out, I initally purchased this thinking it would be one that we have to put together. Very happy when it all came attached as my 2 year old just wants the trains to go round & round and doesn't have time to assemble a track!
on 11 January 2012
This was bought for my 3 year old nephew and he loves it. Luckily he already had some Take-n-Play tracks and engines so has been happily adding it all together but this is more useful as it is so portable and is a good toy on its own. its a shame it only comes with 1 engine as if the child doesnt already have extra engines there are a lot of empty sheds at tidmouth. So my advice is to purchase at least one other engine if giving as a gift. Very happy with this and so glad it can be added to as that sorts the next few birthday and christmas's out.
on 6 October 2011
Added this to my kid's ever growing Thomas tracks and engines collection, since i thought it will be a nice addition. The small chap likes it but instantly had a complain that the larger engines (Henry and Gordan) could not fit into the shed with their tender boxes! Checked it out and he was correct, with the tender boxes the front door could not be closed!

The small chap refuses to only keep the engines, and hence is regularly complaining that engines won't fit.

Kids definitely are sharp, the little fellow got very upset when i put the big engines in the middle, and i asked him why. He said gordon goes to the corner, and indeed i checked the videos, gordan does have the corner slot.

The implementation here has the corner sheds smaller than the rest, making it impossible to even squeeze Gordon with the tender box.

Wish the designers of these toys would look at the actual series when they implement these toys, as kids are not easy to convince and they definitely are aware of the finer details. The tidmouth shed implementation in other sets (wooden, etc) are longer based on the pictures, so clearly the designers were thinking better.

On another note, the shed is also only able to house 5 engines, which means no space for Edward, and Emily.
on 29 May 2016
Overall my son enjoys playing with this so that's the main thing. However on closer inspection we noticed it's a different design to what's pictured. I do like how you can fold it up for on the go, however this often comes loose & the back of the shed opens easily. It seems cheaply made considering the price.
review image
on 19 November 2010
My 24 month year old loves this. The recomendation is for 3 years plus, but my 25 month year old loves turning the turn table, putting Thomas in and taking him out of the sheds, saying night night to him, opening and closing the doors (front and back) etc.

Nothing to assemble, the track just folds out and away when finished, which is a great space saver when stored and keeps any engines you might want to collect all together.

THERE'S JUST ONE ENGINE with this and most other packs, which they state, fair enough, but you always see a number of trains being used on the packing images.

Durable? Yeeesss,,,, but there are always some children who can break any plastic toy (except lego).

Before buyying this, I bought the Thomas 17 piece Starter Pack. i needn't have bothered as this one has its own track, and is bigger.

Educational? Not if you leave them alone to play, but if you sit with them and explain it all, yes, a very good educational aid.
on 24 January 2015
Best Christmas present by far. Hours of fun has been had by my son with this toy. Would definitely recommend as it is a great toy packs away neatly, great for on the go. Worth every penny!
on 5 October 2012
We bought this for our son when he was 2.5 year old. He I'd a total Thomas addict. Loves anything Thomas. This toy has its positives and negatives. Negatives first: turntable is quite stiff to turn and did cause a lot of frustration for my son until he'd mastered the art of using it! Doors are also a bit fiddly to open. The clip that holds the track folded away is a bit flimsy and opens a bit too easily at times.
Positive points: ideal to store the trains in to carry anywhere without loosing any! Small when folded up so can be taken anywhere u need them to be entertained!

My son adores this toy and there isn't a day goes by he doesn't play with it or the trains. Its quite an expensive toy but I think its a brilliant purchase. Ours has been on holiday with us, to weddings, friends houses. Keeps them entertained for ages and very good at encouraging role play. Would give 5 stars if it wasn't for the few negatives I mentioned.
on 11 June 2015
pricey for what it is but reasonable quality and 2yr old son loves it. Convenient for storage and no need to be mending tracks all the time.