on 25 October 2013
I woill recommend this book to be read by all black people. we need to rise up and unite and learn to do things for ourselves as the author said. Like a previous reviewer has noted, it is a shame that 75% of what is in the book still exists. Black people, we can turn things around and we can, with a positve midset and turn things around from a brainwashed state
on 8 April 2015
Oh my, was this a tough read. I have to admit, I have still not finished it. It is written in VERY old speak, from a very patronising angle, from what I believe was a well meaning fellow; but it is truly old fashioned in both dialogue and ways of thinking, and captured a time in history when small acts of grace towards black people were seen as giant acts of defiant philanthropy. However, considering the horrific travesties of justice at the time, a paternalistic attitude towards black people was better than the savage treatment some employers and slave masters meted out. I am sure Carter Godwin Woodson meant well, but this is not for me; the mood of dominance springs from every word and, as hard as he tried to be nice, the inequality rankled. I take partial blame for identifying with the bright people he was trying to help, whose only 'crime' was to be born with a bigger dose of melanin than the author's.
on 20 June 2014
This book is perfect!
It reminds you of things you may of forgotten or too ignorant to admit, and forces you to look at the truth as well as put modern issues into context, and see its nothing new.
on 27 February 2005
What I find amazing about this book is its almost prophetic nature. The author writes in a masterly manner, virtually giving directions to the subjects dealt with. Written more than six and a half decades ago, this book spoke of the misdirection in education and the consequences it can have on a society without deep a sense of purpose, a society that is failing to nurture its own values and build on genuine and progressive thoughts. The greatest strength of this book is that it shows us not only the strength of a proper education, but also the negative imparts of an improper education. This book is still relevant today. Few books have so masterfully challenged the minds of both the mis-educated and the mis-educators as 'Mis-Education of the Negro' has done, by calling on society to be humble, accept its errors and choose new directions in education. I strong recommend readers to make themselves familiar with the pages of this book. You will not regret it.
Also recommended: Race matters, Disciples of Fortune
on 10 June 2015
I bought this book to examine what the title meant. My son took charge of it and started questioning me about the contents. It sounded like he was talking about things happening present day to him and how things had not changed. He was captured by the literature of this book and found not much had changed at all.
I guess he liked this book
on 19 October 1998
I am a twenty-four year old African American man and I read this book six years ago, and even at that young age I found it "On point". Dr. Woodson wrote this book over 60 years ago and his observations of social and educational conditions hold true to this day. This book was my introduction to my continuing studies of African American history, and I recommend that anyone beginning their studies begin with this book. There will be many instances when you will nod your head in agreement with what is stated, and other times when you will learn things about your own behaviors that you could not previously understand. The only reason that I couldn't give this book five stars is because it is a scholarly text and it is a little difficult for less sophisticated readers.
on 22 October 1997
This book, written in the 1930's is as timely today as it was 60 years ago. The mis-education of black children in segregated America now reads as a national indictment of our entire education system. I highly recommend this book.
on 15 April 2016
I wanted to read that book for years but couldn't find it anywhere in Switzerland. I was glad when I discover that Amazon had it and I am currently reading it. I am not disappointed by my expectation this book is accurate at so many level and bring a deeper perspective of the problems faced by the African american community that were relevant back then and still is today! I would recommend this book to everybody it's worth your money.
on 21 July 2015
Every person of African descent needs this book in their library along with How Europe Underdeveloped Africa. Read it over and over and over again. The more times you read them, the wiser you become.
Woodson had a quote that went something like ... A person has two kinds of education. One you get at school and the other you give yourself
Very badly paraphrased I know
on 4 November 2013
This is a great book which stands the test of time. Language may have changed but the essentials of racism/white supremacy and mis-education have not and this book is sadly just as relevant as it was 80 years ago.