5.0 out of 5 stars well said by Carter Woodson
I woill recommend this book to be read by all black people. we need to rise up and unite and learn to do things for ourselves as the author said. Like a previous reviewer has noted, it is a shame that 75% of what is in the book still exists. Black people, we can turn things around and we can, with a positve midset and turn things around from a brainwashed state
Published 18 months ago by vizer

3.0 out of 5 stars PROBABLY SINCERE BUT PATERNALISTIC AND PATRONISING
Published 24 days ago by M. Leal

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars well said by Carter Woodson, 25 Oct. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly educative, 27 Feb. 2005
Michael Brown (Greensboro, NC, USA) - See all my reviews
What I find amazing about this book is its almost prophetic nature. The author writes in a masterly manner, virtually giving directions to the subjects dealt with. Written more than six and a half decades ago, this book spoke of the misdirection in education and the consequences it can have on a society without deep a sense of purpose, a society that is failing to nurture its own values and build on genuine and progressive thoughts. The greatest strength of this book is that it shows us not only the strength of a proper education, but also the negative imparts of an improper education. This book is still relevant today. Few books have so masterfully challenged the minds of both the mis-educated and the mis-educators as 'Mis-Education of the Negro' has done, by calling on society to be humble, accept its errors and choose new directions in education. I strong recommend readers to make themselves familiar with the pages of this book. You will not regret it.
Also recommended: Race matters, Disciples of Fortune

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful book and a neccesary reading!, 19 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
I am a twenty-four year old African American man and I read this book six years ago, and even at that young age I found it "On point". Dr. Woodson wrote this book over 60 years ago and his observations of social and educational conditions hold true to this day. This book was my introduction to my continuing studies of African American history, and I recommend that anyone beginning their studies begin with this book. There will be many instances when you will nod your head in agreement with what is stated, and other times when you will learn things about your own behaviors that you could not previously understand. The only reason that I couldn't give this book five stars is because it is a scholarly text and it is a little difficult for less sophisticated readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need i say more, 20 Jun. 2014
This book is perfect!
It reminds you of things you may of forgotten or too ignorant to admit, and forces you to look at the truth as well as put modern issues into context, and see its nothing new.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mis-Education of the Negro., 25 April 2014
The book was interesting to a point-.apart from only relating to America it is dated refering to the mid 20th century and before . I found it of little relevence to today (though it probably has an importance being that it started a movement which is a possitive thing for black people in America.) I would like books which show the struggle and achievements of black people in England.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a book all Americans should read, 22 Oct. 1997
By A Customer
This book, written in the 1930's is as timely today as it was 60 years ago. The mis-education of black children in segregated America now reads as a national indictment of our entire education system. I highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars a must read!, 20 Jan. 2011
i have wanted to read this book for a long time, and glad i finally purchased it! have not finished it yet but so far its an interesting read examining the behaviour of the "negro". it seems that alot of what the author talks about is still very much relevant today...

5.0 out of 5 stars The in-for-mation for all AFRICANS, 5 Feb. 2010
Loretta B. Thomas "Loretta" (London) - See all my reviews
I have only begun reading this and already I have an overstanding as to why our children are growing into lost adults and why some of us as black people find it hard to nuture our children into adults. We have been to pre-occupied with trying to fit in to a system that was never set up for our gain. However an African American has wrote this book and proves we can triumph and do triumph over adversity. We are a mighty race.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowingly exciting, 3 Feb. 2014
This is a very inspiring book. i bought it for a group of young men and women back home in Africa who I have put on a reading programme and the feedback from them is sensational. Its an excellent book to be read by anyone looking to becoming tomorrow's leaders. Excellent read.

A wholesomely excellent book!!

3.0 out of 5 stars PROBABLY SINCERE BUT PATERNALISTIC AND PATRONISING, 8 April 2015
M. Leal "Book Shine" (London) - See all my reviews
Oh my, was this a tough read. I have to admit, I have still not finished it. It is written in VERY old speak, from a very patronising angle, from what I believe was a well meaning fellow; but it is truly old fashioned in both dialogue and ways of thinking, and captured a time in history when small acts of grace towards black people were seen as giant acts of defiant philanthropy. However, considering the horrific travesties of justice at the time, a paternalistic attitude towards black people was better than the savage treatment some employers and slave masters meted out. I am sure Carter Godwin Woodson meant well, but this is not for me; the mood of dominance springs from every word and, as hard as he tried to be nice, the inequality rankled. I take partial blame for identifying with the bright people he was trying to help, whose only 'crime' was to be born with a bigger dose of melanin than the author's.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›