Platform: PC|Edition: Standard Edition|Change

on 9 July 2010
Best (and simplest) LEGO game yet and suitable for all ages.

Excellent tech support (and you most likely will need it). Be sure your machine WELL EXCEEDS the basic hardware requirements required for the game to function properly. I would even recommend that it surpasses recommended hardware specs for a trouble-free gaming experience as this game makes some serious demands on your system if run with all options enabled.

I had many issues and challenges with this game the first weeks after release but have since resolved all challenges I faced both with TT Games support and through personal trial and error. Now it's back to fun and am looking to complete it this weekend.

Incidentally, I am running this on Windows 7 32-bit with 4 GB of RAM on an Intel Dual-Core 1.86 GHz machine. Just make sure that you have a VERY good video card with sufficient power to run this game. Some of the later levels are very graphics intensive and will bog your machine down to crash mode if you do not have sufficient resources.
on 24 March 2014
Once upon a time, I liked all lego games. Then the wicked four years of Harry Potter turned up and turned my joy to stone.

I first tried this on Windows 7. This worked great, except for the annoying "main executable.exe has failed" error which popped up anytime between 2 and 30 mins of play. So I checked online - I was not the only one to have this problem. As per the advice on some forums, I changed my sound settings, which helped many, but seemed to make mine worse as my average play time was reduced to 5 mins before the dreaded error came up, and I was getting bored of replaying the same bit over and over in the hope of surviving long enough to reach a save point.

Luckily, we have an old XP at home. So, giving up on using Windows 7, I installed it on that instead. Worked like a dream - played for about 2 hours, no problem at all. Until I reached a cut-scene. And it crashed. Wanting to give it the benefit of the doubt (and knowing the XP is quite old now), I decided to restart the computer and reload my save game, played until I reached the cut-scene, and lo and behold, it crashed. Again. So, once again I decided to google this new issue I had found with the game. Was I the only one who couldn't get past this bit? No, I was not. Thanks to the forums, I learned how to change my config file, get some less pleasing aesthetics in the game and finally got past that cut-scene...

...Onto the next level where I decided that I would give up on the game entirely. I eventually needed to put a key in a lock. As I was magically attempting to get it in there, it froze. The music got stuck on a loop. Could I pause the game? No. Use Alt+ F4? No. Alt and Tab? Nope. Task manager? No. Force it to switch off by pressing and holding the off button? No. Eventually after almost 10 mins, I thought it may be a good idea to disconnect the power after it decided to hibernate itself and I couldn't get it to turn back on. That worked :)

God knows why I decided to do this, perhaps because I had wasted so, so many hours attempting to try and play this game, but I decided to have 1 final go. I got to the area where it almost bricked my laptop, then found I was unable to go in an alcove I was allowed to go in previously (but thankfully could just about grab the needed item). Then I got the key, and was walking towards the gate, was almost there, then a brand new shiny error appeared. I was taken back to my desktop screen.

The end.
on 26 August 2011
I was a little worried about purchasing this given the reviews about trouble installing but decided to take the risk. I installed it on a HP Windows 7 64-Bit Pentium Dual Core 260GHz PC with 4GB of Ram and have experienced no problems so far.

I felt I needed a Harry Potter fix after the last film and this gives it to me, the graphics are fabulous and the little characters made of Lego are simply genius! I am perhaps a bit to old at 30-something to be playing this game without children but everyone loves Harry Potter right?
on 3 December 2011
After debating to purchase this game I decided to go ahead and buy it to play over the Christmas holidays. I have to say the game is incredible, it runs well, looks brilliant and most importantly is terrible amounts of fun.

The two player co-op on PC is very nice as well, with the ability to play with a friend on one computer isn't something you see very often in PC games.

Once I've completed years 1-4 I'll give 5-7 ago!
on 14 August 2010
Another great title from the lego series.

Harry Potter Episodes 1-4 is extremly addictive and very entertaining. The puzzles are fun to figure out and the gameplay is outstanding

Like with all Lego games you get to explore your enviroment and can find many fun little additions just to add to the interest

I would highly recommend this game to friends and family of all ages
on 17 August 2010
As the title suggests I've played all the lego games and was really looking forward to this one. I've finished it to the end and completed it 100% well worth playing. However the game has so major bugs such as not even being able to start if your sounds over 48000Hz. Luckily I didn't have that problem however like most people I got cought at the sneezing statues glitch which I finally managed to get past by changing some settings in the options menu and in the actual files of the game. I contacted Traveller's Tales and they blamed it on the computers manufacturer (of cource it wasn't Acers fault). To sum up I would only reccounmend geting this game if your a computer wiz and can change game settings and files.

Great game except for the major bugs.
66 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 June 2011
Unlike some other people who've posted reviews I found the game installed and runs without any problems. I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 450 GTS running Windows 7 64bit.

The controls section of the manual has the heading 'Keyboard & Mouse' above a table of controls which don't mention the mouse at all. The mouse part is of the heading is a lie because as with previous Lego games you can't use the mouse at all for playing the came. Given the style of the games it's hard to see how the mouse could feasibly be incorporated in to the controls. This means that you're left using the keyboard. Playing with the keyboard isn't really very satisfactory and it's hopeless for two player. As with previous Lego games this is best played with a games pad. I use an XBox 360 controller. (If you have Windows 7 you don't need to buy the version that's branded for use with Windows and is more expensive, just buy the XBox version and it will 'just work'. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VD56KW/)

If you've played other Lego games you know what to expect. If you haven't go watch some video reviews and maybe download the demo that's available. As with the other games a lot of progress involves running around smashing up the scenery to see what happens. You might just get points, you might unlock collectables. It's not a game which challenges you much, it's rare that you'll find yourself not knowing what to do next and getting through each level is usually fairly easy. However once you've played through each level in story mode you'll still find you've only completed about 50% of the game. There's lots of left to discover and unlock and you'll have to play each level through at least a couple more times with the right characters available to be able to full complete them. The game play is a little more complicated than previous Lego games due to the presence of spells, but they're implemented in a way which makes them very easy to use. Usually you can just 'fire' at an object and the appropriate spell will be cast, assuming you have it available. (Some spells have to be learnt, some can be bought, not all spells are available to all characters. For example Harry can use the Patronus spell but Hermione can't.)

On the whole, it's the usual good fun I've come to expect from the Lego games. Sadly though this is the first Lego game where I have encountered a bug. Apparently there are quite a few bugs, perhaps I've been lucky in only encountering one. Sadly TT haven't bothered to release an update for the PC version to fix any of the bugs, although I have seen references to updates for other platforms. The bug I encountered is that the fourth level in year 2 (the Tom Riddle level) isn't available for playing again. This bug is present on multiple platforms but hasn't been fixed on any of them. It doesn't always occur, as far as I can tell it is triggered if you exit that level without completing it whilst playing for the first time. The next time you load the game up to play and select 'continue story' you start on the next level and there will be no way to access the Tom Riddle level again. So after you play that level, make sure it's available to play again. If it's not then you either have to decide that you are OK with now not being able to complete the game, or start again from the very beginning. This is what makes the bug so annoying. I got the game to 94% complete before I realised the bug existed. It's now impossible for me to get that final 6% without starting all over again because I can't replay that one level to unlock all the characters and objects that are hidden in it.

It it wasn't for that bug I'd probably give this five stars. One day I shall play it through again making sure not to trigger the bug in the process.
on 30 July 2010
This is, without a doubt, the best LEGO game since the two original LEGO Star Wars games. It's loads of fun, and (just like the others in the series) best played with a friend/sibling/child/partner. Of course, I'm assuming a lot here, as my wife and I had to return our PC version and get the Wii disc instead.

Now, our PC components are all getting on a bit, but they still exceed the laughably-labelled 'Minimum Requirements'. Don't kid yourself. You're going to need at least a 3GHz dual-core processor, a graphics card less than six months old with 512MB RAM, and 2GB system memory. Don't push the boat out on the Video Settings screen, though - you'll need proper top-end kit to do that.

But fear not, grasshopper: you will be rewarded. I've seen some impressive YouTube videos. With all the graphics settings turned up, it looks nice. However having played the very busy later levels on the Wii (no gorgeous HDR lighting for me, folks), I'd advise turning down the graphics quality settings unless your PC is a beast.

Finally, you're going to need a whole shedload of patience. Yes, this is buggiest, glitchiest, most frustratingly excellent game I've played in 20 years of gaming - it even crashes our Wii, and that takes some serious cajones. All the techie, games, and customer support forums online say the same about the PC version. Based on past experience, Traveller's Tales will take a while to come through with a bug-fixing patch, and they'll probably only release one. So keep checking the game site (which also needs a decent PC just to run the ridiculous HD Flash content). And shed a tear for us console players, who probably can't even get a patch.

Buy it if you dare. You'll have fun. And you'll tear out your hair.
on 8 August 2010
My kids (13 and 11) both love this game. The Lego franchise really hits the spot, they are fun and also funny.
The game itself is fine. I'm not getting the annoying bugs and crashes that other people have reported. My system exceeds all the recommended specs and yet I'm still having one huge issue with it; targeting. Now, I'm a disabled gamer. But I'm not expecting miracles or an insanely easy mode. I'm just asking that the targeting system in games works consistently and without lag. I've had this game for a year and a day. I've played the first few bits without any issue and then I get to a point that should be as simple as the lead up to it is and it's impossible for me to get past because the targeting simply does not work. I wanted to enjoy this as much as I enjoyed the first few Harry Potter for PC games. It has all the potential, but the controls have let it down. It has put me off the Lego games franchise completely. I even bought an Xbox controller for PC to try and get it working, but still the same issue. Utterly disappointed.