Published on 25 Jun. 2010 by Dragonlord

2.0 out of 5 stars Not in the same class as other lego games
Published on 30 Dec. 2012 by Blissra

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego Harry Potter is alot more fun then EA's Harry Potter games., 25 Jun. 2010
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
As with all the lego games the cutscenes are very funny and for me this is the best lego game since Star Wars: The Complete Saga. You get to play as Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, and there are over 100 playable characters for you to unlock. The Stylus is used for casting different spells which are fun to use, talking to the many different characters, solving puzzles. The Harry Potter universe is captured brilliantly in it's lego form with the films music in the background. You get to have fun with potion making and the puzzle solving is set at just right level for the younger Harry Potter fans out there or not such able gamers.
This is important there is no two-player co-op mode for us to enjoy on the DS version of this game like we could on Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga. Both the two main uk websites state in there write up about this game on the ds that there is a co-op mode.
This Lego Harry Potter game only covers years 1-4 and that means we should have another Lego Harry Potter game at some point that covers the years 5-7. This is a must have game for all Harry Potter fans and I can't wait for the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars nearly as good as lego star wars, 6 July 2010
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I really enjoyed this game, having played lego star wars, indiana jones and batman this is now my second favourite lego game.

The game play is intuitive and can be played in story mode and free play. There is a fun way using the DS stylus to cast spells and mix potions. Each year you complete you learn more and more spells and these are then used in free play to unlock hidden areas. There is the standard format of collecting studs and wizard hats (the new canisters), red bricks and this time trading cards to unlock characters who can then be bought. There are of course the classic lego clips which are funny in a way that only lego can manage.

The only down side to this game is that there are no mini games. Also you need to use the stylus to make the characters jump which can be a little frustrating if you are used to using the A and B keys. For this reason the game loses a star.

In summary this is a great game for the DS and I will be on the look out for lego harry potter years 5 - 7 and I will be pre-ordering it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not in the same class as other lego games, 30 Dec. 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I LOVE lego games, but after playing 20% of this game, I'm pretty dissapointed and tired of playing it already. You have to use the pen stylus for everything which gets annoying after a while and my hands hurt which didn't ever happen on the other games. If you could even use A or B for the normal spell casting it would be something, but everything involves stylus movements, some of which are difficult to trace accurately. Also the graphics are really poor compared to other games, and some scenes like the classroom and commonroom are repeated far too many times and become boring. Because all the characters are litle grainy things which to me lack personality, I'm not excited about unlocking any of them, and so far none have special cool abilities that make free play fun. I've completed the first of 4 zones and still not got one of the red ability characters to be able to go back into freeplay to complete the levels. If you prefer puzzles and slower game play then this game is for you. However if you love lego games for their 'smash everything is sight' qualities then avoid this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 21 Dec. 2010
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
This game is a very good buy! Loads of characters to unlock, with quite tricky bits for young players. A great game- but not multi player.

4.0 out of 5 stars The amount of characters is insane, 6 July 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
The simple fact that on this game you can use almost every single character from years 1-4 from Barty Crouch jr to Victor Krum just makes this game a fantastic buy it is very addictive and a fresher look on the Lego video game series. Drawing the spells on the touch screen is just a fantastic idea. Small children and big Harry potter nerds(i.e. me) will love this game the jokes are hilarious and cheesy it's a great game all round you can even play as big D now there's some fine video game playing. The only reason I gave this game 4 stars instead of 5 is that the screen on the ds isn't really big enough to give you the scale on the lego hogwarts and that the graphics are not the best inthe world but apart from that totally worth your hard earned cash I cannot wait for Harry potter years 5-7 I know that will be just as excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 6 Jan. 2011
A Kid's Review
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I had this game for Christmas. It has taken a while for me to understand it but I am only 7. Once I knew what to do it was great fun and quite easy to play. I love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but not as playable as others, 26 Jun. 2010
Ash - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
As a huge Harry Potter fan and player of all previous Lego games I was really looking forward to this Lego Harry Potter. Whilst it certainly hasn't disappointed, I'm not sure it has recreated the same levels as the Lego Star Wars series.

As usual you start as Harry but have the option to rotate to others in your group. You also have the ability to us your wand and spells to interact with your surroundings much in the same way as the Jedi's Force or Indy's whip. You also have the True Wizard level, ability to customise characters and unlock other characters as you progress.

There are a couple of new elements to this though which adapt it to the Harry Potter world:

Firstly, they have changed the interaction element - whereas the jedi's force or Indy's whip would automatically perform the correct action, in this game you need to use the stylus to perform the correct spell. This is a neat little invention at first but can become slightly irritating when the DS keeps mis-reading your stylus action.

Secondly, you come across lots of other characters who have little or nothing to do with the game. Whereas in Indy or Batman almost all the characters you meet are enemies or friends, here they are just other characters. Obviously with it being set in a school this is a nice touch but my one issue with it is that even when Harry is in class these characters are just called "boy" or "girl" which makes it slightly less enjoyable - it would have been nice if they could have chosen names familiar from the book or just made some up.

Thirdly they have introduced a new "pet sense" which allows the played to see when there is something hidden in the local proximity. Whilst this does give the game something different, I can't help but wonder whether they could've have dropped this and focussed on something which might have benefitted the actual gameplay.

Fourth - and probably my biggest issue with Lego Harry Potter is that they have taken away almot all the in-game functionality of the buttons and rely almsot solely on the stylus. By doing this they have removed the ability to just do simple actions such as jump or perfom simple actions with the appropriate character. Whereas previously an ewok could've gone through a tunnel, Indy fire his gun, or batman all at the press of the button, you are now solely reliant on tapping the correct bit of the screen to perform all the actions. Whilst yes the DS does have the stylus and they have also given the option to use it, being forced to use it irrespective of what you need to do quickly became frustrating and seemed to slow the game as does having to use the stylus to indicate where you want to jump and waiting for it to be automatically performed.

Whilst I am sure that many people will have no problems with this change, I have found it increasingly irritating both because I have become so used to having the stylus or button option on every other game I have. It is all the more disappointing because I have found all the other Lego games so enjoyable, in gameplay even if not always in subject (batman has never been a my favourite character but still a cracking game).

This is still a very very good game and definitely a must have for Harry Potter and Lego games alike, and whilst there are some very good developments with this game, the flaws are just enough to prevent it getting that fifth star and see it overtake Star Wars as the best Lego game for the DS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Gift, 18 Dec. 2010
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Bought this game for my little brother - it's everything you would expect from Lego Harry Potter. Varied challenges provide many hours of entertainment, the graphics are good for the DS (obviously it's no comparison to other graphics-centred consoles like the Xbox 360), and perhaps most importantly it immerses you in the world of Harry Potter whilst maintaining the charm of Lego.

Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 24 July 2011
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Let me start off by saying I am still on Philosophers Stone, and I have never played the other lego games, so this review may not be helpful if YOU have played the other games.

I have always loved the Harry Potter franchise, and wanted to purchase a video game so this game that would allow me to play years 1-4 was the perfect fit. I was not sure what the quality of the graphics would be, but as far as my Nintendo DS goes the graphics are reasonably good - If I had to pick one fault with the image I would say it can be a little dark (but changing the light settings on my DS fixed that)

The game play is wonderful, you use your stylus for a majority of the actions and it makes the game more engaging. I also adore the ability to go back to earlier levels when you have gotten more used to the game in free-play mode and use characters with more ability to collect more money and rewards, because it allows you to make the most of the game and spend more time playing it. I also think the fact you can create your own player is great, and I found the 'Room of Requirement' section where you can pick your year and find out how much time you have spent playing very useful.

So all in all I am pleasantly surprised with the game and have enjoyed playing it greatly.

4.0 out of 5 stars H.P. 1-4 DS Not Bad, 26 Aug. 2010
A Kid's Review
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
This Game is rather fun, how ever, it is the most fustrating of all the lego games as there is so much to do in each level but you can't acsess it with your current characters. I am completely bamboozaled (is that actually a real word?!!) by the level in the chamber of secrets bit called "Slytherin common room", I dont know how to sneak past filch the second time, is ths actually possible (this is on ds, i dont know if it is different on other consoles), therefore, I cant play any levels after this (which is a bit annoying). Apart from this the game is pretty good. I love the little animations!!! If you have read the books or watched the films as I have you will recognise the characters and settings.
J.K.Rowling is Magnificent!!!

P.S. Why does a red cross appear at the top of the screen at random moments? The instructions dont mention this.

P.P.S. I didn't know Ron could play the trumpet*.

*See forbidden corridor 1 animation.

LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Nintendo DS)
LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (Nintendo DS) by Warner Bros. Interactive (Nintendo DS)