5.0 out of 5 stars A good product - well worth the money
I purchased this GPS receiver to use with an ipod touch in the USA as our Tom Tom is bulky and the USA map for it was expensive.
Published on 25 April 2011 by lynnsmadhouse

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Service
Published 4 months ago by Charlie

5.0 out of 5 stars A good product - well worth the money, 25 April 2011
This review is from: TomTom Car Kit For iPod Touch compatible with Generation 1,2 & 3 (Accessory)
I downloaded 2 apps from iTunes (Co-pilot USA 2.99 and a free app - Nav Free - for UK navigation) and both work well with the unit. It is quick to pick up a GPS signal (Orlando area, and in SE London.) It also folds down to a convenient size to travel with. The only slight downside was that our hire car had no flat surface to adhere the suction stand to (didn't want to stick it to the window) but worked well with passengers in the front and rear holding it. It has it's own built in speaker and music from the ipod cuts out when a verbal navigation instruction is given. It is also compatible with our car radio and same applies. It also charges your ipod.
All in all this is cheap way of getting a Sat Nav for your car if you already have an ipod touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 14 April 2011
Mark Cameron (Dubai, United Arab Emirates) - See all my reviews
Before purchasing this I read the reviews which say that it doesn't work with the latest Touch however I really wanted something which would allow me to mount the iPod in the car to listen to music plus allow me to utilise the Tomtom app. So despite the reviews I purchased it.

I've got to say I have had no trouble at all with this product. It has been excellent. The Tomtom app is great and with the multi tasking touch I can switch over to my music and still get the occasional direction fading in and out or vice versa play my music whilst the Sat Nav is active.

With reference to the fit I have a clear crystal case on the back of the ipod which seems to make it just the right size for the system. Kills two birds with one stone ! Protects the iPod plus provides a nice snug fit in the dock.

Buy it. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making the TomTom car kit work reliably with a G4 iPod, 28 Nov 2011
Reading reviews which spoke of jamming pieces of paper into the cradle to make things work I thought there must be a better way, and there is.
Two things need to be done, both because the G4 pod is thinner than the others. Firstly a piece of rubber (a tyre repair patch is fine) should be stuck over the TomTom 'hands' sign. This stops the g4 pod slipping about.
Secondly there is a micro switch hidden behind the rocking pod connector. To make this work (every time) I used double sided sticky tape to attach a thin piece of plastic on the oblong back piece of the connector. I was worried about putting too much strain on the connector so looked for something thinner than a credit card. A thin plant label was the answer (happened to be from a Venus fly trap, but not essential).
This works reliably every time. Install the TomTom car kit app and then Navfree. I think it is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars tomtom car kit ipod 1-2-3G, 22 Jun 2011
This is a 2nd kit for our other car. Ordered late on Tues, received before 9am Wed! The first kit arrived equally adroitly! Nice and solid and I'll adapt the mount a little further to suit how I want it to sit on the dash. Ipod Touch 3G.
Importantly, GPS function works great with NavFree UK and UK Map Apps. Free tomtom gps utility app provides small amount of info and reassurance that the GPS is working, nothing more, although apparently it removes the pester from tomtom to buy their products. I don't do 30k miles per year so this combination of basic aid to navigation through free/inexpensive apps and music etc on the ipod is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ipod Gen 3 works perfectly, 21 April 2011
Simon Bull (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
The enclosed instructions said it was for ipods gen 1 & 2. I have a gen 3 and it worked perfectly first time. I don't have a line in on the car stereo so haven't been able to test the music out connection.
I use it with Tom Tom software and it takes about a minute to work out your initial location which is my only criticism, but I don't think that's a relection of the car kit but of the software.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Service, 6 Mar 2014
The product arrived in perfection condition and very timely, there is one major issue though and I am not sure where it sits. If you have io6s 6 or higher then this appears to affect the GPS signal achieved by the car kit, therefore rendering the Car Kit next to useless if using with an ipod touch. Either Apple or TomTom need to solve this problem, or if the sellers are aware then this should be noted as I now have a car kit which I am unable to use!

2.0 out of 5 stars perfect product until you try to use on iOS.6, 24 May 2013
This a very useful piece of kit with one major problem. When using on iOS.6 the GPS can't find you and you're stuck. The only way I have found to fix this is by turning off the automatic time & date update in the iOS settings, make sure you have both sat nav app off and make sure you reset the location settings. make sure you turn off bluetooth & internet connection, switch off ipod and switch back on, load your app and off you go.... This seems to work everytime but what a load of nonsense. Fix it Apple or TomTom this has to be a simple patch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ipod Sat nav, 1 Aug 2012
This gps unit in combination with some of the free apps available provides a practical cost effective alternative to the normal sat navs. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Purchase, 23 Jun 2012
Given I have a 4th Gen iPod Touch, I was a tad sceptical about purchasing this and whether it would work. I read the reviews and they seemed to indicate it did - so i took the plunge and ordered it.

How pleased am I?

VERY!

I have a thin Gear4 cover which brings the thickness up to that of a 3rd Gen - and it fits like a glove.
I can't believe how good this product is. Like some of the other purchasers I have used this in conjunction with the NavFree GPS UK & ROI app and it works a treat. Very quick to set up. I can also listen to tunes from my iPod - the SatNav mutes the music when it gives directions, so you don;t have to worry about missing what it says.

Highly Recommended - especially at 23.99!

4.0 out of 5 stars It works with ipod touch 4, 17 April 2012
I bought this item after reading many reviews most of which warned of contact problems with the ipod touch 4. They were right! But after jamming a folded piece of paper under the clip at the top I had no problems. By the 3 or 4th use I didn't need the paper any more.