4.0 out of 5 stars Was the ten year wait worth it? I think so!
Published on 31 Mar 2010 by Best Crime Books

2.0 out of 5 stars A real let down
I sat down to listen to this with great anticipation. One reviewer said this was a return to the form of Love Deluxe. Having bought all her albums from day 1, I thought Love Deluxe was her career peak, a view shared by many of my friends when they heard it. After the disappointing Lovers Rock here was I expecting Love Deluxe pt 2.

Not so by a long mile. I'm not...
Published on 26 Feb 2010 by Martin J. Bushell

4.0 out of 5 stars Was the ten year wait worth it? I think so!, 31 Mar 2010
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Soldier of Love (Audio CD)
Describing Sade's music is quite difficult and I cannot profess to be an expert in musical descriptions. Having said that, I can say that her voice is very smooth and a lot of her songs seem to have a jazz based feel to them. I own every one of her albums and if I'm honest was excited at the prospect of getting my mitts on her new album to see how much the music had changed since the release of Lovers Rock.

Soldier of Love the album has a mere 10 songs on it but as a fan it's more quality than quantity for me. With much trepidation I inserted the CD into my player and waited with baited breath. I had purposely avoided listening to any pre-release snippets so I could decide what I felt.

Her opening track is like the Sade I am used to, a slow and sultry beat and some nice lyrics. The best description is easy listening. However, when her song with the Album name Soldier of Love opened I wondered what had happened. The song opens with quite a fierce beat that I could almost imagine the Soldier's marching to. The song itself is unusual and at first I wasn't sure what my opinion was on it. Babyfather is another track that is a slight change form the Sade `norm'. It does not however fail to hit the right notes. It seems to have a slight reggae feel to it which I really liked. I do not want to describe in detail each song as I don't feel quite qualified to harp on about the music styles; I can only express my personal feeling on the album as a whole.

Just because I am a huge Sade fan, that doesn't mean that I love every track she has produced. I have my favourites and some that I point blank refuse to listen to. Sade has however, produced some amazing songs in her career and her new album will be proudly placed next to the rest of her albums I own. This album is certainly a change from her last one but when you listen to each album you realise that they are all different in their own way. Sade seems to hit the mark each time and I think the reason for this is the fact that she is an artist true to herself. She seems unafraid to try what her heart tells her to try, and doesn't seem to feel the need to go with whatever style is being favoured at the time. Her songs tell stories with sometimes beautiful and sometimes sad lyrics but with her velvet tones each one seems to makes an impact. Having the same band members since day one is telling in the success of Sade. This album took me a while to get used to but after playing 3 or 4 times each song grew on me and I love the album. If I am honest my least favourite track is actually Soldier of Love but The Moon and the Sky, In Another Time and Skin are clear winners.

This may be a slight departure from her last album but I think a good one and I can honestly say that I think she will again be successful in her album sales with this one. Overall I wouldn't label this as my all time favourite Sade album, but like others out there, I can't help but fall for the voice that is as smooth as silk.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gentle Kind Of Glory, 8 Feb 2010
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Soldier of Love (Audio CD)
Ten years is a long time to linger between albums
but with a performer of Sade's impeccable calibre
the wait has been more than worthwhile.
(Can it really be a quarter of a century since we fell
head-over-heels in love with her debut 'Diamond Life'?!)

This collection of ten fine compositions finds her
graceful presence undiminished. The velvet tones of her
unforced voice have deepened and darkened with time.
Always a captivating instrument, it has never sounded
better than with this mesmerising new material.

There really are some amazing songs here.

The stripped-down arrangement of 'Morning Bird' allows
the intensity of the rapturous melody to shine through.

The martial rhythm of title track 'Soldier Of Love'
delivers one of the most unusual songs she has recorded
in her long and distinguished career. The complex, layered,
harmonies add depth and atmosphere to the central vocal
performance. Martin Ditcham's staccato percussion and
Stuart Matthewman's angular guitar are perfectly judged.

'Long Hard Road' is an elementally soulful track.
The languorous vocal is perfectly focussed and deeply affecting.

'Bring Me Home', too, tugs at the heart-strings.
A sixties-flavoured ballad of captivating beauty.

'Skin' has everything we have come to know and love
about Sade wrapped up in music and lyrics of immediately
recognisable character and quality. A dream of a song!

Final track 'The Safest Place' is simply sublime!

There will be few finer albums this year.

Essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait!!, 8 April 2010
R. Johnson "rJay" (Peterborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soldier Of Love (MP3 Download)
I have been a Sade fan since Diamond Life and Promise, back in the early 80's. My original cassette tapes of those two wore out and were eventually replaced with CDs; I own all of her albums. We have waited a long time for this latest release and I am not disappointed. I bought it within the first few days and waited to review until I had played it through a number of times. She is at her soulful best on many tracks, her voice seems to be smokier and more soulful than ever, but there are also lighter notes. Beautiful music, I wish it was longer, but perhaps you can't have quality and quantity.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIQUID VELVET, 17 Feb 2010
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Soldier Of Love (MP3 Download)
Christmas break of 1998, second floor living-room of a New Jersey Victorian house, visiting friends; the snow started falling at dusk and now it was well underway, the generous flakes absorbing any sound in the atmosphere. The fireplace radiates a soft glow and the sweet scent of burning pine wood. Tucked in the couch, I am reading a good spy novel. And on the Stereo, Sade's Love Deluxe is playing over and over, making the evening unforgettable, etching every detail to my memory.

Since then the deep, magic voice of SADE provided the soundtrack of many evenings of my life. However, LOVE DELUXE remained unsurpassed. SOLDIER OF LOVE though came as close as none other album.

SOLDIER OF LOVE is a masterpiece. Every single song is wonderful and yet LONG HARD ROAD and IN ANOTHER TIME are the ones I feel longing for. Both of these songs remind of Sade's signature sounds. The rest of the album though takes well studied steps, dancing around her previous works.

Fans will find this album comfortable like an old favorite sweater and fresh like untouched morning snow. If you do not know Sade, this is one of her albums that you must have.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turkish Delight, 17 Sep 2010
Robohammer (Mersea Essex England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soldier of Love (Audio CD)
Sitting on a beach in Akyaka I heard this wonderful music drifting out from a beach bar. I thought it was some local gem and roused myself to ask the barman what was playing. He went on about how it all his customers from all around the world say it is their favourite afternoon chill out music by Sade. When I expressed disbelief as her music is lift musak I was goodnaturedly thrown into the sea. Having now bought the CD I am gradually changing my view on this type of music! Best CD I have bought for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIQUID VELVET, 10 Feb 2010
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars A triumph of subtlety, 8 April 2010
This review is from: Soldier Of Love (MP3 Download)
God, what is this? A new album by Sade? I saw her do Soldier of Love on Jonathan Ross. I was intrigued.
She looked and sounded as if she had avoided the last 25 years of aging. But the music.
With the album downloaded and safely on my IPod i delved into it. First listen, disappointed. Felt almost cheated.
Compelled to return to it without knowing why and found myself being treated to a masterclass of understatement.
The deftness of touch these musicians display both with melody and rythmically is incredible. The melodies slowly reveal themselves
until their simple beauty kind of aches when you hear it. Sade has done this before, and she can still do it only with more sensuality and
steamy languid phrases and pauses than ever before. Her soul is there for all to see, and I for one love what I see and hear from that
spiritual woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album.. now i can't hear anything else!, 10 Feb 2010
This review is from: Soldier of Love (Audio CD)
I didn't realise how I missed Sade's smoky voice and true gold talent till I heard Soldier of Love on her site few weeks back. I couldn't wait for the album to get released. And boy.. I am not disappointed!! Sade raises the bar even higher with this release with her genuine talent, amazing lyrics, perfect articulation of word meanings with her voice. The tracks grow on you the more you listen to them... the more you listen you discover new meanings and minute riffs and background instruments that you missed the first time. I particularly like "Soldier of Love" for its mellow mood, and daring fusion between tango and afro influences, you can even hear some distortion guitar riffs in the background, I really wish that this track would be a big hit in the next few weeks. "The Moon and the Sky" is also amazing. Another great song is "Skin". The only thing I hate is the fact that I can no longer enjoy listening to radio or other manufactured pop acts as I have the CD on full loop :-) Good luck Sade, we were thirsty for your talent, you are an amazing person and genuine artist who deserve the best. Go get it Soldier of Love

5.0 out of 5 stars It Is As Good As The First Time!, 11 Feb 2010
This review is from: Soldier of Love (Audio CD)
Been a fan from the beginning, was not keen on Lovers Rock and so wanted Soldier Of Love to be a return to form.

I should not have worried, from the opening note of the first track I knew we were in for a treat. The album is sensational,every track is an absolute stunner. As one of the reviewers said you forget how good an artist SADE is,compared to the absolute drivel of most "modern music": we are continually subjected to.

The album gets better on each play,great albums send a shiver up the spine and a tear in the eye!, Soldier of Love does both!

One of her best,if not the best of a fantastic career to date.

Pure Class!! ,THANKS SADE!! Now What about that tour?

4.0 out of 5 stars Solider of Love, 22 Feb 2010
This review is from: Soldier of Love (Audio CD)
It's been a long time coming, I heard her interviewed on Radio 2 and listened to hear input on some of the tracks and appreciate the amount of work that's gone into this album, and the reason for its delay. I really like this new album, but it is nothing very new from her, I guess 'tried and trusted' is what it is, but very easy, mellow listening which put me in mind of Norah Jones first album in some ways... Certainly worth adding to your collection, even though it is a bit on the short side!

Soldier of Love
Soldier of Love by Sade (Audio CD - 2010)