5.0 out of 5 stars Best Season Yet!
Wow.
Having bought Season 5 (as with all the other box sets as they are released much earlier in the US and I couldn't wait!!) from amazon.com, I can honestly say this is the best season of Grey's yet.

Published on 2 Nov 2009 by Bob and Billy's Mum

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Corny
Nowhere near as good as previous sets. This is just full of annoyances - the dead Denny character being the worst.
Published 17 months ago by David

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Season Yet!, 2 Nov 2009
Bob and Billy's Mum (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Wow.

A slow start, but once you begin to devour each episode it gathers such momentum until you reach the incredible, intense, thrilling and emeotional end, and it all loops back to the beginning of episode 1. I then had to watch it again and it was just as good 2nd time round!

Stunning performances from all the cast, great plot lines, medical dilemmas, hair issues, comic one liners, romance, tragedy, and sweeping scenery of Seattle shots - its all here.

I don't want to spoil any story for anyone, so no plot details or hints from me. But what I will say is if you (like me) can't resist an open box set, prepare to lose an entire weekend in your pyjamas. So so worth it - but now I'm desperate for season 6!!! You have been warned!!

**For those wanting to order from the US as I did - do check out the region coding on your DVD player. Mine is multi region, so I can play Region 1 (US) discs along with Region 2 (UK etc) discs. Check out the information pages on Amazon if you are in any doubt at all, and google too, as there may be a 'fix' for your player to enable multi-region discs.**

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it - the ending is AMAZING!!!!, 6 Sep 2009
Ok ok, I know most of you will be put off by the whole Denny and Izzie thing, but believe me, there is a reason behind it and one that will shock you to the core (unless of course you have read one of the idiots who puts spoliers in everything!)

The final episode of this season is still haunting me and I cannot wait for the next series to start, although i almost don't want what I think is going to happen to indeed happen.

If you love Grey's Anatomy, you will love this series, and it's new charaters just as much, if not more, than ever before!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 26 April 2010
SJ Armstrong - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grey's Anatomy - Complete Season 5 + extra's (DVD)
Extremely speedy delivery - got it the next day and as a new Grey's addict this was brilliant. Loved the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars hooked, 29 July 2010
I love it ! Completely hooked and cant stop watching episode after episode till silly o'clock every night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough to Write! But the good far outweighs the bad! Spoilers., 24 Aug 2014
Ed (Hampshire ,England) - See all my reviews
Wow, This has now become my favorite series despite a few gripes.

The premier introduces a new man for Christina Major Owen Hunt (played by the Scottish Actor Kevin McKidd who I didn't even twig wasn't American until I googled him) a Trauma Surgeon on leave from Iraq who becomes a main cast member later on and eventual boyfriend of Christina.

The premier was an excellent opening with the revelation that the hospital has been downgraded in the teaching rankings due to poor performance and the announcement by Webber that things are gonna change! Christina's reaction to Meredith's constant barrage of questions about whether she and Derek will work out was a brutally honest answer that I felt spoke directly to Christina as a person and showed that she will always tell the truth, even when it hurts.

The introduction and relatively speedy departure of Meredith's childhood friend Sadie, was quite boring to me. She didn't seem to add anything to the show except eye candy for the now bi-sexual Callie, however the "Scalpel-Crazy" interns brought fresh drama to the show and thankfully opened the door (so to speak) for Sadie to leave. Much as it pains me to see attractive blondes leave the show, she really annoyed me!

Onto Izzie. Yet again it seems like the writers either want Izzie to be hated or just can't put enough effort into making her likeable. I really hated the whole "Ghost Denny" storyline frustrated me from the start. Seriously? You Are a Doctor! Get a damn MRI of your head! You have something wrong! But as always Izzie reveals herself to be not only a poor excuse for a person but as a doctor too. The only sadness I felt at her cancer was for her friends who would be devastated if she died. Not for her. (hey, call me a bastard but I really, really, REALLY don't like Izzie) As an aside I laughed so hard when Izzie asked Christina to move in with her and Christina and Callie took the apartment for themselves, to be fair Izzie, you were so mysterious about the whole thing it was fair enough for them to assume you were just giving them them flyer as a kind gesture.

The burgeoning relationship between Christina and Owen has the inevitable ups and downs of anything on Grey's Anatomy but becomes VERY dark when Owen has a PTSD flashback and chokes her in her sleep. Despite this making it easy to hate Owen, I like him as a character and find his forthright approach to medicine refreshing and in stark contrast to Izzie's over-emotional displays of increasingly poor judgement that would have her fired from any real hospital. This might go some way to explaining why SGH's ranking has dropped to low, eh Richard?

Another new addition to the cast, Jessica Capshaw as Arizona Robbins and the new love interest for Callie was welcome to me and went some way to removing the lingering annoyance I have felt towards Callie since the start of Series 4. Robbins enters as the new Head of Paediatric Surgery, a department we haven't seen before and became one of my favorite characters very quickly.

Once again however, Derek shows that when things go bad, he turns into a pretty poor excuse for a human being. After losing a patient he declares he is finished with being a doctor and runs away to the woods to hide. (a darkly comic episode ensues in which Hunt and Torres are sent to convince him to come back and he "infects" them with his depression) But the real issue is his treatment of Meredith when she comes to see him. After calling her names and accusing her of being unable to commit to him (despite her asking him to move in with her earlier in the series and his acceptance) he takes the ring he had planned to propose to her with and hits it with a bat into the woods. All this being said, I haven't been able to actively dislike Derek as a result of his actions simply because I think that one of the overarching messages of this show is that nobody is perfect and everyone has something, big or small, wrong with them. Richard was an alcoholic, Derek lashes out in anger, Meredith is "dark and twisty", Alex can be an ass, Mark is a Man-Whore, the list goes on and on and on.

Alex's brother's appearance and the revelations as to the true extent of Alex's past goes some way to explaining his personality while showing that he is still undeniably a good person, I also liked his interactions with Meredith in this episode which showed to me that Meredith and Alex have a very strong bond of friendship and trust.

The Cancer storyline was a bit so-so for me if I am brutally honest. My dislike of Izzie and her ever continuing attempts to be a "good person" while only succeeding in being a Class-A Hypocritical Bitch have been omni-present since I started watching this show.

The finale and the revelation that George was the "John Doe" hit by a bus was excellent, however I felt that the whole "George joins the army" plot was shoe-horned in as a way to get him out of the hospital on that day in a way that would not make it obvious that he was the John Doe (let's face it, if he simply hadn't turned up for work that day then it would have been pretty obvious)

Overall, My favorite season so far, (apologies for the length of this review, I have tried before to miss out certain aspects of the show to avoid writing too much but this one was great!)

Despite a few things that I didn't like, specifically the Izzie/Denny/Ghost plot which in my opinion dragged on way too long as I realised straight away that she had some kind of brain issue. I found this series to be the best yet, I found the plot regarding Derek's depression to be interesting and I liked that it was eventually Richard who finally pulled him out of it.

In short, the best yet, thoroughly enjoyable with all the ups and downs we have come to expect of Grey's Anatomy.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Grey's so far., 6 Feb 2013
I have reviewed a couple of the other seasons that I bought of Grey's Anatomy and am just as thrilled with Season 5. Grey's is great for taking some time to zone-out and become involved in the ups and downs of the characters of Seattle Grace. Continually strong characters will have everyone watching identifying with someone on screen and laughing/ crying with them in a little slice of time removed from reality. Everyone needs some time out and this is easy to watch and really does allow you to switch off from everything else, so highly recommended to both Grey's fans and those looking for a great addition to their collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars greys anatomy season 5, 16 Jun 2011
This season includes more entertaining medical puzzles to be solved and continues to focus on relationships. Highlights of this season are the introduction of new characters including Owen Hunt, Izzies' illness and Meredith and Dereks' wedding. The season finale is of the typical Grey's Anatomy standard with a large build up and a cliff hanger to leave viewers waiting for season 7. The extras for this season are also very entertaining and worth watching as they provide added insight into the show and the actors playing characters alongside how the cast prepare for shooting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best season, but still good, 2 Jun 2010
Having watched Grey's since the start and become hooked, I have to say that season five is a strange one.

The show is Grey's Anatomy, but at times one could be convinced that it has become The Izzie Stevens Show, with a lot of emphasis (complete with appearances by the annoying Denny, who still manages to be annoying in death) on one of Seattle Grace's least likeable characters.

What I think is lacking in season five is some of the subtlety Grey's has always done so well. There is also the development of one particular storyline that simply does not work, not with the character at the heart of it.

All that said, for me the heart of Grey's is the relationships Meredith Grey has with both Derek Shepherd and Cristina Yang, her boyfriend and best friend respectively. Both these relationships are a lot healthier in season five which adds depth to Meredith's character and pushes her story along to a great degree. It also means we see some real growth in her relationship with Derek, though the way this develops won't please everyone. In turn, because the relationship with Meredith is healthier, we see a side of Derek that is new with the development of a back story for him.

All in all, though I do think this is not the best season of Grey's, it is still well worth a look.

Purchasers should also not be concerned if the packaging says region one. It is most definitely region 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best season yet, 10 May 2010
Ms. L. Hobson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grey's Anatomy - Complete Season 5 + extra's (DVD)
Yet another action packed season of Greys Anatomy, emotionally frought episodes and what a way to end the season. Awesome writting. The best drama series ever!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars greys anatomy the complete series fifth, 21 Jan 2010
Ms. Tracey Jackson (england) - See all my reviews
hi today ive recieved my copy of greys anatomy the complete fifth season

wow its brilliant the best one yet,im hooked on it so far today ive watched 3 discs..

all i wil say is just order it and watch it... i highly recomend it...

there are lots of twists in it....series 6 starts tomorrow on tv so i must finish watching series 5...its so addictive

please buy it and you will i promice enjoy it as much as i have

bye bye