5.0 out of 5 stars Great little router
I cannot comment on this router in terms of its DHCP as I have never used that function, similarly for the NAS.
However everything else is quite commendable. Most of the negative reviews on this site are as a result of improper setup as opposed to problems with the actual unit.

Published on 10 Jan 2011 by Mr. S. Hissaund

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its moments
I'm another Virgin Superhub user looking for wifi that works and was led to the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND by price and review.

When it works, it works very well. But it has spells where the Wifi performance fluctuates to the point I want to reach for a hammer.

Published 18 months ago by SM Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little router, 10 Jan 2011
Mr. S. Hissaund (Luton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND 300Mbps Wireless N 4 Gigabit Port Cable Router (USB Port for Printers, Files or Media Sharing) (Accessory)

Firstly, please note that if you plan to expand your wireless range with this router and you only have "G" devices, you will not notice any difference. You will also need up upgrade your devices to "N" to gain the increased range. This is not a restriction of the router, this is a restriction of the wireless standard itself.

Very simple to set up with a very easy to use interface; in fact the TP Link firmware is one of the easiest to navigate I've come across. The router was set up in no time at all and offered a very high level of stability. A nice touch is the ability to enable QoS, meaning that if someone decides to start downloading a movie then they don't immediately hog all the bandwidth for the other users!

I then installed DD-WRT onto it very easily, and configured it as a custom wireless bridge point. The beauty of this router is that it even states in the manual that the DD-WRT firmware is supported, although they will offer no technical assistance if you choose to use it.
The router was easily reconfigured as part of my wireless bridge setup and has been stable ever since I turned it on, both before and after the firmware change.

I cannot fault this router in any way; it is stable, has a good signal range and has effective native firmware - supporting DD-WRT to boot. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars DD-WRT & Virgin Media's 100Mbs+ Compatible, 23 Jun 2012
I needed a router compatible with Virgin Media's 100Mbs (soon to be 120Mbps) plan and DD-WRT firmware. My old D-Link 615 router kept bottlenecking when I was downloading at full speed which averaging at 90Mbps download at speedtest.net and knowing I was in need of an upgrade from 10/100Mbps to 1000Mbps ports. After I upgraded to the P-Link TL-WR1043ND with cat6 cables I average at 105Mbps download at speedtest.net with no bottlenecks what so ever. So far I haven't had a problems with Wi-Fi dropping out and I have 5+ devices connected but I did boost TX POWER in advanced wireless setting to 80 in DD-WRT firmware.

Only problem I had was with DD-WRT firmware blocking access to my VPN (virtual private network) from an outside source. After looking around the forums I had this command script (listed below) which I added to the start-up and it worked a treat.

VPN COMMAND SCRIPT:
/sbin/insmod nf_nat_proto_gre
/sbin/insmod nf_nat_pptp

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its moments, 14 Oct 2012
SM Davies "bonegang" (UK) - See all my reviews

Some context: I have a large amount of professional experience in configuring commercial networks large and small... in my most important network there are six users each with a plethora of network devices. The four kids have laptops, desktops, Wifi mobile devices in addition to games consoles and my partner has iPhone, iPad and iMac ("it should just bloody work"). And I have my own modest collection of laptops and desktops. And a wifi printer. And the NAS. You should also know that I resent spending my time at home in network support mode. Which is why I wanted to replace the Superhub wifi function after that recent, disastrous firmware update became the last straw.

Switching the TP-WR1043ND on straight out of the box showed that setup on defaults was easy and worked fine. But I clearly like to configure things so I set up my preferred IP ranges and fixed device addresses. Still good. A few problems with something retaining my previous SSID name, but this wasn't the fault of the router and changing the SSID worked fine. I saw speed to the big iMac nearly double and all devices had noticeable improvement in signal strength around the house: the router is in the same place as the Superhub was (thats now tucked behind the TV out of sight, grrrrr).

There is no 'guest network' facility, which is only a pain because I don't like having to configure and re-configure the kid's Nintendo Gameboys... I prefer to leave a non-secured DHCP wifi network running that has a list of known devices but, ok, the rise in performance and stability was the payoff.

BUT.

When PCs and Macs awoke from sleep mode ('Hibernate' or 'Standby') they would not pick up wifi again. Lots of playing around with locking IP addresses via the ARP tables seemed to fix things for a while but not for long. Same for static IP addresses. Seemed we needed to switch off wifi on the device, switch it back on again: that got tiresome pretty quickly...."Dad, I can't print again!".

Worse, every few days the networking just disappeared... five star signal and connection but no data moved, the ping was dead... the router equivalent of all the lights are on but the car won't go.

Today I got in and everybody moaned that the 'internet was down'. It wasn't , the TP-WR1043ND had gone into 'erratic mode' again. If I hooked a laptop directly into the Superhub (still in 'modem mode') by wire, the internet WAN was rock solid. If I hooked the laptop into the router by wire, it looked fine, all functions reportedly OK. On wifi, though, the ping was ranging between 50 and 13000 ms, averaging 4500 ms. That's terrible, really, really bad and my trusty laptop was the only connected device, I was on an empty wifi channel and there was no bleed-over, cross-over or interference from anything else that I could measure.

Power off....power on, same story. Same story three times.... and then it behaved properly on the fourth reboot. As I write I'm looking at the last ping test to the router which, across 1400 tests, was solidly between 2 to 10 ms. That's good, that's what I expect. The ping to bbc.co.uk was great too, between 14 and 87 ms; really pleased with that.

So, maybe its a bad box: I'm going to send it back and try another, I've had enough of this erratic behaviour, it should 'just work'. If it turns out to be a case of 'you get what you pay for', then maybe I need to pay a little more. I'll let you know how the new unit gets on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gigabit perfection, 21 Jun 2011
After updating the router's firmware (which adds a few features like GMT<->BST, and more importantly different service/internal ports for port forwarding) this router has worked flawlessly with both my wireless and wired equipment. Just waiting for TP-Link to release an update for encrypted SMTP authentication (for emailing logs) but it doesn't deserve to lose a star for that. Thoroughly recommended. (also, mine did come with a UK plug...)

4.0 out of 5 stars a little more fiddly to set up than previous TP-Link routers., 28 May 2012
I've had a TP-Link router before when i used an ADSL connection at my previous home. Having moved into an area where fibre broadband was available, I decided to upgrade. Like most routers provided free of charge by ISPs (in my case Plusnet), the one they provided was right at the bottom of the Netgear's spec list. I routinely connect 2 devices via ethernet and up to 8 devices wirelessly in a reasonably large house, so the Netgear wasn't really going to cut it. This isn't to say Netgear don't produce good routers - they do, I've owned many, but they are comparatively expensive.

My first TP-Link router was a marvel: easy to set-up, stable (never lost a connection) and was extremely fast (albeit in a relatively small house) with the same number of devices connected as mentioned above. So when I was looking for an alternative to the ISP provided Netgear router, I looked straight at TP-Link. This fibre compatible router arrived very promptly (thanks Amazon) but the seamless set-up process of its predecessor wasn't immediately apparent. Honestly, I can't say this is because of the router itself or because the connection protocols and manual setup info required is slightly more complex for a fibre connection. All I know is my ADSL router required just a username and password and did the rest itself. This time, I had to dig a little deeper through the settings. I've also had a few dropped connections requiring a re-boot (on the wireless side only, the ethernet connections persisted).

Overall I'm entirely happy with the speed of the connection (particularly the wireless connection) and aside from a few dropped connections and slightly fiddle set-up - the TP-Link is a top choice at a great price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, 50/50 really, 1 Feb 2012
First off, it's a top class router, well built and very strong signal. Most of the time. This is where the problem lies, as many other reviewers have stated, this thing occasionally loses internet connection for some weird reason. After doing a bit of reading on the net I "think" it may have something to do with the mobile phones in the house that are using wi-fi and then going into sleep mode, possibly, not 100% sure on that.

But anyway, my son xbox's on it quite a bit, there are 3 mobile phones in the house, 3 laptops, 1 Archos A43 and 1 iPod touch that connect to this router without any problems. I managed to solve the occasional loss in internet by upgrading the firmware to one of the customized firmwares available out there, bit of a risk and definitely not for the faint-hearted and I wouldn't recommend doing it as it voids your warranty and you run the risk of breaking your router. You also have to be fairly internet savvy to figure out all the settings as well. But I took a chance and it's working like a dream now, so perhaps TP-Link need to update their firmware to resolve this issue?

So yeah, signal wise, top notch, I lay in bed upstairs at night and like to browse the net on my little 4" A43 (iPod touch kinda thing) and on the old router (D-Link DIR 615) I would have to turn the device upside down and hang it over the edge of the bed towards the floor so it could pick up the wi-fi signal, lol, with this new router there is none of that, the whole of upstairs now has really strong solid wi-fi signal so top marks for that.

I am on Virgin Media 20MB broadband and it connects flawlessly, although there is a bit of a trick to get it working if you struggle getting it to connect initially. I've misplaced the bit of paper where I wrote down how to do it, but if anybody wants to know then ask and I'll see if I can find it again.

Conclusion:

Very nice router, firmware needs to be updated due to some connection issues, but overall I am 100% happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Router, works well if you set it up correctly!!, 30 Nov 2011
Ok, first off i will admit that even though im a professional IT person it took me about 4 hours to get it set up and working correctly, but it was not the fault of the router

The router has a fantastic interface and i understand the quick start cd is quite good for the basic user, there are some really good options however some of them are not named particurally helpfully, port forwarding for instance is called Virtual Servers, nevermind though it wors just as well,

Im using Virgin media as my ISP, turns out their Hub is rubbish, it was the cause of all my problems, turns out even with the wireless off on the virgin box, it still manages to create so much EM interferance that it will kill any wireless signal within a 5ft radius,
SOLOUTION: move the TP-Link away from the Virgin Hub, everything comes back working perfectly, i had to get a friend to confirm what i was seeing, i couldnt belive what was happening, try this if your having wireless problems

Back to the TP-Link the gigabit Lan worked like a dream straight out of the box so no problems with that, wireless auto chanel select had a few problems but once i changed it to a static channel and everything was good, though this could have been my area rather than the router,

Pro's
Inexpensive,
Feature Packed
DD-Wrt compatible (i did not try this)
Simple Setup CD for the non-technical

Con's
Some Translations from the original korean are a bit dubious

Overall Thoughts
Very good router for the price, feature packed and apart from interferance from another device it performs perfectly

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value wireless router that can also become a server, 11 May 2011
Fcr Vincent - See all my reviews
I have owned wireless routers from Netgear, D-Link, BT, Linksys (i.e. Cisco) and I can say confidently that the TP-Link 1043ND is the most impressive I have used. Not only does it perform all the standard wireless routing functions flawlessly but it can also be customised as a small reliable general purpose server when upgraded with the open source linux-based OpenWRT operating system. So far, I have been able to configure the TP-Link 1043ND/OpenWRT as a file server, a USB multifunction printer and scanner, a USB webcam server, a secured key-based SSH server, an rsync backup server, a kerberos domain server, a filtering web-proxy; and from what I have seen the TP-Link 1043ND hardware with OpenWRT should also allow functions such as multiple ADSL/Cable modems with load balancing, VLANs, openvpn client/server, a small asterisk VOIP telephone server (performance is probably fine for a handful of simultaneous lines), a nagios monitoring server and a caching web-proxy amongst many other available features!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 3 Feb 2012
I was looking for the cheapest router with both Wifi-n and Gigabit Ethernet to play the role of 'supporting actor' in my lan: as an additional Wifi Access Point in fact.
The price, the reviews, and finally the convenience of being able to return it to Amazon at no cost if my choice proved wrong, convinced me to buy it.

Another insurance was the DD-WRT support in case I couldn't set the router in bridge mode with the original software (it wasn't too clear from the options in the demo interface [...]

Finally it arrived promptly after confirming the order, and was ready to run in less than 10 minutes (All it took in the end was to disable the DCHP server and set the address of the primary router as DNS, no need to flash an 3rd party firmware for that).

The coverage is excellent and the user interface very clear with a detailed help panel for every single option, explaining how and why you should use them!

Overall and excellent choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Wireless Router, 23 July 2012
R. Gardner "Corriebob" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this to boost the signal so that I could use my Wifi tablet and laptop more efficiently. This it has done, also it seems to down load emails/files in fact everything much faster, cause less interruptions and I get a connection a greater distance away than before. The better/faster down is the main feature, very easy to set up with no complications that I found. quite often there are a number of separate downloads at the same time this seems to make no difference. very good product...

ARRAY(0xa8aa78ac)