5.0 out of 5 stars DD-WRT & Virgin Media's 100Mbs+ Compatible
Published on 23 Jun. 2012 by Mr. Adrian Colbert

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its moments
I'm another Virgin Superhub user looking for wifi that works and was led to the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND by price and review.

When it works, it works very well. But it has spells where the Wifi performance fluctuates to the point I want to reach for a hammer.

Published on 14 Oct. 2012 by SM Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars DD-WRT & Virgin Media's 100Mbs+ Compatible, 23 Jun. 2012
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND 300Mbps Wireless N 4 Gigabit Port Cable Router (USB Port for Printers, Files or Media Sharing) (Accessory)
I needed a router compatible with Virgin Media's 100Mbs (soon to be 120Mbps) plan and DD-WRT firmware. My old D-Link 615 router kept bottlenecking when I was downloading at full speed which averaging at 90Mbps download at speedtest.net and knowing I was in need of an upgrade from 10/100Mbps to 1000Mbps ports. After I upgraded to the P-Link TL-WR1043ND with cat6 cables I average at 105Mbps download at speedtest.net with no bottlenecks what so ever. So far I haven't had a problems with Wi-Fi dropping out and I have 5+ devices connected but I did boost TX POWER in advanced wireless setting to 80 in DD-WRT firmware.

Only problem I had was with DD-WRT firmware blocking access to my VPN (virtual private network) from an outside source. After looking around the forums I had this command script (listed below) which I added to the start-up and it worked a treat.

VPN COMMAND SCRIPT:
/sbin/insmod nf_nat_proto_gre
/sbin/insmod nf_nat_pptp

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its moments, 14 Oct. 2012
SM Davies "bonegang" (UK) - See all my reviews

Some context: I have a large amount of professional experience in configuring commercial networks large and small... in my most important network there are six users each with a plethora of network devices. The four kids have laptops, desktops, Wifi mobile devices in addition to games consoles and my partner has iPhone, iPad and iMac ("it should just bloody work"). And I have my own modest collection of laptops and desktops. And a wifi printer. And the NAS. You should also know that I resent spending my time at home in network support mode. Which is why I wanted to replace the Superhub wifi function after that recent, disastrous firmware update became the last straw.

Switching the TP-WR1043ND on straight out of the box showed that setup on defaults was easy and worked fine. But I clearly like to configure things so I set up my preferred IP ranges and fixed device addresses. Still good. A few problems with something retaining my previous SSID name, but this wasn't the fault of the router and changing the SSID worked fine. I saw speed to the big iMac nearly double and all devices had noticeable improvement in signal strength around the house: the router is in the same place as the Superhub was (thats now tucked behind the TV out of sight, grrrrr).

There is no 'guest network' facility, which is only a pain because I don't like having to configure and re-configure the kid's Nintendo Gameboys... I prefer to leave a non-secured DHCP wifi network running that has a list of known devices but, ok, the rise in performance and stability was the payoff.

BUT.

When PCs and Macs awoke from sleep mode ('Hibernate' or 'Standby') they would not pick up wifi again. Lots of playing around with locking IP addresses via the ARP tables seemed to fix things for a while but not for long. Same for static IP addresses. Seemed we needed to switch off wifi on the device, switch it back on again: that got tiresome pretty quickly...."Dad, I can't print again!".

Worse, every few days the networking just disappeared... five star signal and connection but no data moved, the ping was dead... the router equivalent of all the lights are on but the car won't go.

Today I got in and everybody moaned that the 'internet was down'. It wasn't , the TP-WR1043ND had gone into 'erratic mode' again. If I hooked a laptop directly into the Superhub (still in 'modem mode') by wire, the internet WAN was rock solid. If I hooked the laptop into the router by wire, it looked fine, all functions reportedly OK. On wifi, though, the ping was ranging between 50 and 13000 ms, averaging 4500 ms. That's terrible, really, really bad and my trusty laptop was the only connected device, I was on an empty wifi channel and there was no bleed-over, cross-over or interference from anything else that I could measure.

Power off....power on, same story. Same story three times.... and then it behaved properly on the fourth reboot. As I write I'm looking at the last ping test to the router which, across 1400 tests, was solidly between 2 to 10 ms. That's good, that's what I expect. The ping to bbc.co.uk was great too, between 14 and 87 ms; really pleased with that.

So, maybe its a bad box: I'm going to send it back and try another, I've had enough of this erratic behaviour, it should 'just work'. If it turns out to be a case of 'you get what you pay for', then maybe I need to pay a little more. I'll let you know how the new unit gets on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little router, 10 Jan. 2011
Mr. S. Hissaund (Luton, UK) - See all my reviews
Edit: Please note that this review is for version 1 of this router and may not be applicable to the current version 2 that has replaced it.

I cannot comment on this router in terms of its DHCP as I have never used that function, similarly for the NAS.
However everything else is quite commendable. Most of the negative reviews on this site are as a result of improper setup as opposed to problems with the actual unit.

Firstly, please note that if you plan to expand your wireless range with this router and you only have "G" devices, you will not notice any difference. You will also need up upgrade your devices to "N" to gain the increased range. This is not a restriction of the router, this is a restriction of the wireless standard itself.

Very simple to set up with a very easy to use interface; in fact the TP Link firmware is one of the easiest to navigate I've come across. The router was set up in no time at all and offered a very high level of stability. A nice touch is the ability to enable QoS, meaning that if someone decides to start downloading a movie then they don't immediately hog all the bandwidth for the other users!

I then installed DD-WRT onto it very easily, and configured it as a custom wireless bridge point. The beauty of this router is that it even states in the manual that the DD-WRT firmware is supported, although they will offer no technical assistance if you choose to use it.
The router was easily reconfigured as part of my wireless bridge setup and has been stable ever since I turned it on, both before and after the firmware change.

I cannot fault this router in any way; it is stable, has a good signal range and has effective native firmware - supporting DD-WRT to boot. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gigabit perfection, 21 Jun. 2011
After updating the router's firmware (which adds a few features like GMT<->BST, and more importantly different service/internal ports for port forwarding) this router has worked flawlessly with both my wireless and wired equipment. Just waiting for TP-Link to release an update for encrypted SMTP authentication (for emailing logs) but it doesn't deserve to lose a star for that. Thoroughly recommended. (also, mine did come with a UK plug...)

3.0 out of 5 stars No UK adapter included!, 25 July 2014
The router DOES NOT come with a UK plug or adapter, only a two pin 'Euro' plug. This is in clear breach of the "Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994" which states that a UK adapter must be fitted to the device.

Router works well though. DD-WRT will work on this revision (v2.1), however it is Beta only at the moment

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value wireless router that can also become a server, 11 May 2011
Fcr Vincent - See all my reviews
I have owned wireless routers from Netgear, D-Link, BT, Linksys (i.e. Cisco) and I can say confidently that the TP-Link 1043ND is the most impressive I have used. Not only does it perform all the standard wireless routing functions flawlessly but it can also be customised as a small reliable general purpose server when upgraded with the open source linux-based OpenWRT operating system. So far, I have been able to configure the TP-Link 1043ND/OpenWRT as a file server, a USB multifunction printer and scanner, a USB webcam server, a secured key-based SSH server, an rsync backup server, a kerberos domain server, a filtering web-proxy; and from what I have seen the TP-Link 1043ND hardware with OpenWRT should also allow functions such as multiple ADSL/Cable modems with load balancing, VLANs, openvpn client/server, a small asterisk VOIP telephone server (performance is probably fine for a handful of simultaneous lines), a nagios monitoring server and a caching web-proxy amongst many other available features!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Router, works well if you set it up correctly!!, 30 Nov. 2011
Ok, first off i will admit that even though im a professional IT person it took me about 4 hours to get it set up and working correctly, but it was not the fault of the router

The router has a fantastic interface and i understand the quick start cd is quite good for the basic user, there are some really good options however some of them are not named particurally helpfully, port forwarding for instance is called Virtual Servers, nevermind though it wors just as well,

Im using Virgin media as my ISP, turns out their Hub is rubbish, it was the cause of all my problems, turns out even with the wireless off on the virgin box, it still manages to create so much EM interferance that it will kill any wireless signal within a 5ft radius,
SOLOUTION: move the TP-Link away from the Virgin Hub, everything comes back working perfectly, i had to get a friend to confirm what i was seeing, i couldnt belive what was happening, try this if your having wireless problems

Back to the TP-Link the gigabit Lan worked like a dream straight out of the box so no problems with that, wireless auto chanel select had a few problems but once i changed it to a static channel and everything was good, though this could have been my area rather than the router,

Pro's
Inexpensive,
Feature Packed
DD-Wrt compatible (i did not try this)
Simple Setup CD for the non-technical

Con's
Some Translations from the original korean are a bit dubious

Overall Thoughts
Very good router for the price, feature packed and apart from interferance from another device it performs perfectly

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 3 Feb. 2012
I was looking for the cheapest router with both Wifi-n and Gigabit Ethernet to play the role of 'supporting actor' in my lan: as an additional Wifi Access Point in fact.
The price, the reviews, and finally the convenience of being able to return it to Amazon at no cost if my choice proved wrong, convinced me to buy it.

Another insurance was the DD-WRT support in case I couldn't set the router in bridge mode with the original software (it wasn't too clear from the options in the demo interface [...]

Finally it arrived promptly after confirming the order, and was ready to run in less than 10 minutes (All it took in the end was to disable the DCHP server and set the address of the primary router as DNS, no need to flash an 3rd party firmware for that).

The coverage is excellent and the user interface very clear with a detailed help panel for every single option, explaining how and why you should use them!

Overall and excellent choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for OpenWrt, 20 Sept. 2014
D. Lemos - See all my reviews
I've set this router working with openwrt and I am completely satisfied. Don't bother using the default firmware as you'll be missing all the hardware capabilities of this device. Openwrt is an advanced open-source unix distribution. Most important of all it's rock stable comparing to any other firmware. Openwrt itself is a bit hard to work with if you do not have any knowledge of unix command line, however there's projects that install a web interface so you beginners can benefit from it. One of them is the Gargoyle-Router.

Here's the instructions on how to install the Gargoyle-Router:

In my case I got a modem from my ISP and it's connected to the TP-Link via the WAN port. My servers and desktop are connected to the switch and then I have two wireless networks. One is the normal way for my family and the other is a guest wireless for my friends or casual visitors without access to my LAN (just internet).

Some of the benefits you will get from this firmware:
- Wireless optimisation. Tweak wifi settings to improve signal and throughput
- Set Quotas
- Bandwidth monitor
- Configure Wireless repeater/bridges
- Set up streaming software for audio/video
- Set Up a VPN
- Install a BitTorrent Client
- Create a Guest Network
- Install server software
- A lot more

Now to the router itself. It is one of the best routers you can buy in terms of cost/performance when using with openwrt or even dd-wrt.

--> Pros
- It has 3 big antennas which improves the signal a lot (I hate the fact that nowadays most of them come without antennas)
- Gigabit switch
- Price
- Looks nice
- USB port

--> Cons
- A tad bulky
- Only supports 2.4Ghz
- Provided ethernet cable could be better

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Wireless Router, 23 July 2012
R. Gardner "Corriebob" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this to boost the signal so that I could use my Wifi tablet and laptop more efficiently. This it has done, also it seems to down load emails/files in fact everything much faster, cause less interruptions and I get a connection a greater distance away than before. The better/faster down is the main feature, very easy to set up with no complications that I found. quite often there are a number of separate downloads at the same time this seems to make no difference. very good product...