5.0 out of 5 stars Great little router
Edit: Please note that this review is for version 1 of this router and may not be applicable to the current version 2 that has replaced it.

I cannot comment on this router in terms of its DHCP as I have never used that function, similarly for the NAS.
Published on 10 Jan. 2011 by Mr. S. Hissaund

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its moments
I'm another Virgin Superhub user looking for wifi that works and was led to the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND by price and review.

When it works, it works very well. But it has spells where the Wifi performance fluctuates to the point I want to reach for a hammer.

Published on 14 Oct. 2012 by SM Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little router, 10 Jan. 2011
Mr. S. Hissaund (Luton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND 300 Mbps Wireless N 4 Gigabit Port Cable Router with UK 3 Pin Plug (USB Port for Printers, Files or Media Sharing) (Accessory)

However everything else is quite commendable. Most of the negative reviews on this site are as a result of improper setup as opposed to problems with the actual unit.

Firstly, please note that if you plan to expand your wireless range with this router and you only have "G" devices, you will not notice any difference. You will also need up upgrade your devices to "N" to gain the increased range. This is not a restriction of the router, this is a restriction of the wireless standard itself.

Very simple to set up with a very easy to use interface; in fact the TP Link firmware is one of the easiest to navigate I've come across. The router was set up in no time at all and offered a very high level of stability. A nice touch is the ability to enable QoS, meaning that if someone decides to start downloading a movie then they don't immediately hog all the bandwidth for the other users!

I then installed DD-WRT onto it very easily, and configured it as a custom wireless bridge point. The beauty of this router is that it even states in the manual that the DD-WRT firmware is supported, although they will offer no technical assistance if you choose to use it.
The router was easily reconfigured as part of my wireless bridge setup and has been stable ever since I turned it on, both before and after the firmware change.

I cannot fault this router in any way; it is stable, has a good signal range and has effective native firmware - supporting DD-WRT to boot. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars DD-WRT & Virgin Media's 100Mbs+ Compatible, 23 Jun. 2012
I needed a router compatible with Virgin Media's 100Mbs (soon to be 120Mbps) plan and DD-WRT firmware. My old D-Link 615 router kept bottlenecking when I was downloading at full speed which averaging at 90Mbps download at speedtest.net and knowing I was in need of an upgrade from 10/100Mbps to 1000Mbps ports. After I upgraded to the P-Link TL-WR1043ND with cat6 cables I average at 105Mbps download at speedtest.net with no bottlenecks what so ever. So far I haven't had a problems with Wi-Fi dropping out and I have 5+ devices connected but I did boost TX POWER in advanced wireless setting to 80 in DD-WRT firmware.

Only problem I had was with DD-WRT firmware blocking access to my VPN (virtual private network) from an outside source. After looking around the forums I had this command script (listed below) which I added to the start-up and it worked a treat.

VPN COMMAND SCRIPT:
/sbin/insmod xt_connmark
/sbin/insmod xt_mark
/sbin/insmod nf_conntrack_proto_gre
/sbin/insmod nf_conntrack_pptp
/sbin/insmod nf_nat_proto_gre
/sbin/insmod nf_nat_pptp

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value wireless router, 18 Jan. 2012
I was swayed to buy this due to its good ratings from other customers, and I must say, i'm not disappointed. This router is superb for the relative cost, the wireless is powerful (my reception in the top of the house has improved by two bars, and is now reliable), the set up was a breeze and it never drops wireless devices for no reason as the old router used to.

I also bought this predominantly for Xbox -the UPnP and Quality of Service features work really well with the Xbox. It negates the need to open ports manually on the router in order to avoid 'NAT Closed' errors when using Xbox Live and has a really strong connection due to its Auto channel feature (it automatically picks the wireless channel with the least noise, which if you live in an urban environment with heavy wireless traffic from a multitude of routers, is invaluable).

Now, instead of having to manually input IP addresses, DNS server addresses and open ports, I just let the Xbox connect and the UPnP feature does the rest seamlessly. The QOS feature ensures that gaming and HD video streaming take priority on the bandwidth, so I don't have any lag (also invaluable if you have housemates who like to hog your connection by downloading reams of videos and music)

The set up screens are easy to use and everything is explained in depth for those with a shallow knowledge of routers and thier settings.

Highly recommended.

NB beware, this router cannot recieve your internet instead of your existing modem from the phone line or fibre optic cable - it works in tandem with the existing modem and provides (or replaces) wireless capability.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its moments, 14 Oct. 2012
SM Davies "bonegang" (UK) - See all my reviews

Some context: I have a large amount of professional experience in configuring commercial networks large and small... in my most important network there are six users each with a plethora of network devices. The four kids have laptops, desktops, Wifi mobile devices in addition to games consoles and my partner has iPhone, iPad and iMac ("it should just bloody work"). And I have my own modest collection of laptops and desktops. And a wifi printer. And the NAS. You should also know that I resent spending my time at home in network support mode. Which is why I wanted to replace the Superhub wifi function after that recent, disastrous firmware update became the last straw.

Switching the TP-WR1043ND on straight out of the box showed that setup on defaults was easy and worked fine. But I clearly like to configure things so I set up my preferred IP ranges and fixed device addresses. Still good. A few problems with something retaining my previous SSID name, but this wasn't the fault of the router and changing the SSID worked fine. I saw speed to the big iMac nearly double and all devices had noticeable improvement in signal strength around the house: the router is in the same place as the Superhub was (thats now tucked behind the TV out of sight, grrrrr).

There is no 'guest network' facility, which is only a pain because I don't like having to configure and re-configure the kid's Nintendo Gameboys... I prefer to leave a non-secured DHCP wifi network running that has a list of known devices but, ok, the rise in performance and stability was the payoff.

BUT.

When PCs and Macs awoke from sleep mode ('Hibernate' or 'Standby') they would not pick up wifi again. Lots of playing around with locking IP addresses via the ARP tables seemed to fix things for a while but not for long. Same for static IP addresses. Seemed we needed to switch off wifi on the device, switch it back on again: that got tiresome pretty quickly...."Dad, I can't print again!".

Worse, every few days the networking just disappeared... five star signal and connection but no data moved, the ping was dead... the router equivalent of all the lights are on but the car won't go.

Today I got in and everybody moaned that the 'internet was down'. It wasn't , the TP-WR1043ND had gone into 'erratic mode' again. If I hooked a laptop directly into the Superhub (still in 'modem mode') by wire, the internet WAN was rock solid. If I hooked the laptop into the router by wire, it looked fine, all functions reportedly OK. On wifi, though, the ping was ranging between 50 and 13000 ms, averaging 4500 ms. That's terrible, really, really bad and my trusty laptop was the only connected device, I was on an empty wifi channel and there was no bleed-over, cross-over or interference from anything else that I could measure.

Power off....power on, same story. Same story three times.... and then it behaved properly on the fourth reboot. As I write I'm looking at the last ping test to the router which, across 1400 tests, was solidly between 2 to 10 ms. That's good, that's what I expect. The ping to bbc.co.uk was great too, between 14 and 87 ms; really pleased with that.

So, maybe its a bad box: I'm going to send it back and try another, I've had enough of this erratic behaviour, it should 'just work'. If it turns out to be a case of 'you get what you pay for', then maybe I need to pay a little more. I'll let you know how the new unit gets on.

3.0 out of 5 stars No UK adapter included!, 25 July 2014
The router DOES NOT come with a UK plug or adapter, only a two pin 'Euro' plug. This is in clear breach of the "Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994" which states that a UK adapter must be fitted to the device.

Router works well though. DD-WRT will work on this revision (v2.1), however it is Beta only at the moment

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value wireless router that can also become a server, 11 May 2011
Fcr Vincent - See all my reviews
I have owned wireless routers from Netgear, D-Link, BT, Linksys (i.e. Cisco) and I can say confidently that the TP-Link 1043ND is the most impressive I have used. Not only does it perform all the standard wireless routing functions flawlessly but it can also be customised as a small reliable general purpose server when upgraded with the open source linux-based OpenWRT operating system. So far, I have been able to configure the TP-Link 1043ND/OpenWRT as a file server, a USB multifunction printer and scanner, a USB webcam server, a secured key-based SSH server, an rsync backup server, a kerberos domain server, a filtering web-proxy; and from what I have seen the TP-Link 1043ND hardware with OpenWRT should also allow functions such as multiple ADSL/Cable modems with load balancing, VLANs, openvpn client/server, a small asterisk VOIP telephone server (performance is probably fine for a handful of simultaneous lines), a nagios monitoring server and a caching web-proxy amongst many other available features!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 3 Feb. 2012
I was looking for the cheapest router with both Wifi-n and Gigabit Ethernet to play the role of 'supporting actor' in my lan: as an additional Wifi Access Point in fact.
The price, the reviews, and finally the convenience of being able to return it to Amazon at no cost if my choice proved wrong, convinced me to buy it.

Another insurance was the DD-WRT support in case I couldn't set the router in bridge mode with the original software (it wasn't too clear from the options in the demo interface [...]

Finally it arrived promptly after confirming the order, and was ready to run in less than 10 minutes (All it took in the end was to disable the DCHP server and set the address of the primary router as DNS, no need to flash an 3rd party firmware for that).

The coverage is excellent and the user interface very clear with a detailed help panel for every single option, explaining how and why you should use them!

Overall and excellent choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid as a rock, 26 July 2012
I bought this to cure problems I was having with a Virgin Media "Super" hub. It's done that and more!

I was initially hesitant to buy what I'd consider a "budget" router from a brand I had no history with. In the end, the price being approx. 50% less than the other routers with similar feature sets I was looking at meant I had to choose with my wallet.

I am VERY glad I did. Wireless devices authenticate and connect exceptionally quickly, and I've only rebooted it once to change the settings, otherwise it's been up constantly since i bought it.

Finding that the router features Quality Of Service (QOS) for distributing bandwidth between internal IP's was something I didn't expect at this price point - a pleasant surprise.

General points: Range is exceptional, Min 80% signal strength every where in my (admittedly small) house, and good signal outside and even in my car. Transfer speeds are consistant and fast.

If you're looking at expensive D-links / Netgears / Apple Airports, then stop! This is all you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Wireless Router, 23 July 2012
R. Gardner "Corriebob" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this to boost the signal so that I could use my Wifi tablet and laptop more efficiently. This it has done, also it seems to down load emails/files in fact everything much faster, cause less interruptions and I get a connection a greater distance away than before. The better/faster down is the main feature, very easy to set up with no complications that I found. quite often there are a number of separate downloads at the same time this seems to make no difference. very good product...

5.0 out of 5 stars Works With BT Infinity ! Great router, 13 Jan. 2014
I bought this router on Sunday 12/01/2014, I was fed up with my BT homehub 3 dropping signal to my wireless network, blah blah.. ok some tips on setting this router up to work on an infinity line, save you a bit of searching if you decide to buy one.

System comes with an easy install wizard, it asks you to connect the router to your PC via LAN cable to start with, my router access point is too far away from my pc, so I connected it via a TP wall plug LAN, this worked fine with no issues discovering router, as you go through the wizard, you will come to a part which says, connection type or connect by, the top option is dynamic IP, ignore this and choose PPoE, the user ID you need to enter is :

User ID : bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password : BT

The router wont let you continue without a password, after this it was a breeze, but note to use the wizard you need it connected via LAN. Hope this helps.