4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect
I was a little nervous ordering this earphones as they were listed on Amazon at the half the price of John Lewis - would I end up with a set of shoddy Sennheiser fakes?

Published on 5 Feb. 2013 by B. Davey

3.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser MM 80 iPhone
Published on 27 April 2010 by Kofi Barimah

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect, 5 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 80 I Noise Reduction Ear Canal Headphones (Electronics)

Once I saw the packaging and looked over the earphones I was able to breathe a sigh of relief. From my job, I could see that the product packaging was expensive and high end and certainly not the sort of thing you get from cheap imitations - it's a small thing but something I know to look out for.

The earphones themselves, were initially a bit of a disappointment. I had previously had Klipsch S4's and Shure SE215's, and my initial thoughts were that MM80i's didn't compare well. The sound was a bit hollow, the cable and earpieces lightweight and the noise isolation terrible - particularly for so-called travel headphones. But I persevered, first I replaced the eartips with a set of Comply TX400. The noise isolation sorted and as a result the clarity of the sound vastly improved - there is a lot more to hear than could be picked up with the supplied silicon tips. Secondly, with repeat wearing the cable started to hang more comfortably behind the ears - as a wearer of glasses the supplied hooks were a nuisance, but the cable is quite flimsy and and doesn't hold it's shape well to begin with. It took some time before the cable stopped jumping over my ears.

I have now had the MM80i's for 3 weeks and can honestly say I like them - although I doubt I would be able to say that had I not £20 on the Comply eartips. The remote is good and makes up for some of the initial deficiencies. Whilst I won't be rushing to replace, I seriously doubt I could justify spending £105 (£85+£20) on these again

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, 5 May 2011
The headphones sound fantastic, much better than the ones apples bundles with the Ipod, I usem them with an iPod touch rather and anPhone and the microphone works fine with Skype and for voice control, the microphone and peadphones are seperate and the headphones plug into the microphone so you could use another set of headphones with it if you wanted to. Sound Isolation was good but does not completly shut it out you can still hear train or plane engines in the background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Headphones, 20 Jan. 2014
J. Edmonds "bamba" (hastings, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought these for one of my daughters who travel on buses and tubes a lot and needed a good pair of noise reduction ear phones,
she was very happy with the gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 13 Nov. 2012
JOHN BROWES (Buckingham, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Let me start by introducing myself as an extremely fussy consumer. I would honestly say that of every 10 items I order online, 9 will be returned. I am in particular even more critical when buying earphones and headphones. I have tried dozens. I have never been to drawn towards 'in ear' 'phones as I really do not like pushing things into my rather sensitive ear canals! There, however, I find to be very comfortable as I can get a good fit and seal with the minimum of the ear bud pushed into my ear. I like the cable behind the ear, however I do not like the supplied ear hooks. Not for me. I wear these primarily when I am out walking my dogs, up to a couple of hours at a time. I barely notice them in my ears, I do like the feel of these.
Now to sound. At this price these Sennheiser's are an absolute steal. Bargain price for the sound you get. Really good sound stage and good separation. Very defined mids and highs with just the right amount of bass for my taste. Seriously, if you paid £150 for these you would not be disappointed. I cannot imagine there are too many comparable earphones for this price. Besides, at any price these sound FANTASTIC.
The inline remote is superb for my iPhone. You can control 'Siri' with this as well as full iPod control and mic. My only small criticism of these phones is that the detachable cable into the inline remote is pointless as it is too short - there should have been a cable without an inline remote included otherwise no point in making the cable detachable. A small moan that should not detract away from these great 'phones.

My advice? If you're looking to spend around £80 on headphones these have to be on your short list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser IP 80 earphones, 20 Sept. 2013
Mr. D. Smallman "governor" (England) - See all my reviews
Absolutely what i had hoped for. Choice of earbuds very useful. good sound reproduction and insulation. i live it!
Delivered within forecast.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser MM 80 iPhone, 27 April 2010
Kofi Barimah (Enfield, UK) - See all my reviews
This product sounds fantastic, especially when used to listen to music without the separated microphone unit. The only problem is that the earphone without the microphone unit attached is just 46 cm (approximately) long. Therefore the earphone is virtually unusable on its own. I wonder why it was separable from the microphone unit if it were not meant to be used on its own. The picture on both the Amazon and Sennheiser sites appear as if the earphone, without the microphone unit, is long; indeed the specification on Sennheiser states the length as 1.3 m, though it is not clear if that includes the microphone unit. As stated earlier, buyers should be aware that the length of the earphone is only about 46 cm long and can only be conveniently used with the micrphone attachment, which reduces the sound quality of music slightly. I have given the product 3 stars. If the length of the earphone unit were long enough and usable on its own I would have awarded 5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bass levels poor., 28 Feb. 2015
Very disappointing sound for the price. Bass levels poor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 18 Mar. 2015
Excellent. Easy to use

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, comfortable fit, works well with Android, too, 28 Dec. 2013
These earphones will serve you well, sound just right for the price, they are plenty comfortable and will work well with just about any device. I am using them on my desktop, notebook and android phone (Galaxy S4). Note that volume buttons do not work on phones, other than the iPhone and likes, but the headset part (including the mic and call button) work perfectly fine on any system, including most android phones.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser MM80i - not the best from Sennheiser, 17 Nov. 2013
R. Tovey (Worcester - UK) - See all my reviews
I had a pair of these headphones to replace my fantastic Sennheiser CX880 (which are not the best build quality at all). Anyway the CX880 headphone socket went faulty so upgraded to the MM80i, WOW what a HUGE disappointment! As I do sound production for a living, I found these MM80i servilely lacked clarity. These headphones are bottom end to mid rage heavy sounding headphones, with zero high end frequencies at all!

These headphones are double and on other sites triple the price of the poorly built CX880, but the CX880 waer so detailed you could hear every instrument in a band or orchestra, everything that is lacked in the MM80i's.
I am so disappointed with my MM80i's that they are now on ebay!

Of course you're thinking "I'm use to the sound of my old headphones over the new" or "I need to give them time for the headphones to break in", sadly not. I use a wide variety of headphones for work, and my personal headphones have always been Sennheiser's, but the MM80i's do not come anywhere near the quality of sound from my old CX880's, infact I have to say the MM80i's produces the same sounding quality like the lower end CX300's (which are a very good sounding headphone for the price), with all the instruments all mixed into one overall "warm sound", but I need clarity crisp clear headphones and for the price of the MM80i's, I would recommend buying the CX300's as they are just as good!

Think I may upgrade again to the IE 7's see how I get on with those, if not another set of CX880's!

Sennheiser MM 80 I Noise Reduction Ear Canal Headphones