5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect external keyboard to use with a Lenovo laptop
The keyboard is exactly identical to the one in recent Lenovo laptops (so slightly different from previous one as the Esc key is bigger and the F1 key is next to Esc and not below it). Being very thin I find it very good for my wrists and I love not having to use a mouse.
Published on 16 Mar 2012 by mbf

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, it has a trackpoint
Pros:
It has a trackpoint
It is small and compact
Spill proof

Cons:
The keyboard feeling is NOT the classic thinkpad one. It is close, but so annoyingly apart.
It has windows keys! (that means that ctrl and alt are smaller and you get to push the win key when you meant to hit control)
The trackpoint mouse buttons are ...wrong. They...
Published on 9 Jun 2010 by S. S. Stavropoulos

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect external keyboard to use with a Lenovo laptop, 16 Mar 2012
This review is from: Lenovo ThinkPad USB Travel Keyboard with TrackPoint - UK/English (Electronics)
If you have a Lenovo laptop that you use with a docking station and an external monitor, then this is the perfect keyboard for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good keyboard and excellent trackpoint., 16 Jun 2011
S. Adams "Steve Adams" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I'm a trackpoint fan and have been for many years, definately in the minority I probably should get used to touchpads but I have tried a few times. For me the trackpoint is just too easy and fast to use.

Been working in the IT industry for a long time and only recently switched my (10 hour a day) desktop keyboard to one with a trackpoint (this is pretty much the only one on the market that's worth looking at).

So far after 5 months use I'll never go back to an orddinary keyboard. The keys feel a little cheap but when you actually start using it it comes to the fore. keys are on the whole responsive enough.

Trackpoint is excellent. Highly recomend. will give 5 stars only really because as a package its probably worth it. If it had been a keyboard without the trackpoint I'd have gone for a 3.5 if the option was available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 12 July 2013
Just want to state up front that what follows is for the US version of the keyboard.

I am long time ThinkPad user. My recent ThinkPad - a trusty R400 - needed some attention and I had to buy a computer in a hurry. I bought a mid-spec'd Lenovo desktop. This came with what they call a Black Silk keyboard, which I really did not like. I did have a ThinkPad external keyboard which I had bought a few months back which I had not used. I immediately brought it out and hooked it in.

The keyboard may feel light (which it is) and flimsy (which it is not), but when I plugged it in, it was like I was working on my ThinkPad!!!

Yes, the trackpoint is there (though I don't use it too much). But the feel of the keyboard is amazing. I should also note that there is one thing that bothered me initially. This has to do with the number lock being on. I read in a review by a user here that there is a registry hack to it, which I followed. Took me a few seconds to do it and the problem's gone! You can either look it up or leave me a post here and I'll try to link his/ her review for you (If Amazon allows it, that is).

With minimal to no flex (though initially you may feel to the contrary), an identical layout to the famed ThinkPad keyboards (which they have apparently changed with their newer machines), this keyboard is fantastic. The key travel feels just right and the palm rest makes typing a pleasant experience.

If you have not used it and are in the market for one - especially if you are a current or past ThinkPad user - this is the keyboard for you!

Cheers!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, it has a trackpoint, 9 Jun 2010
Pros:
It has a trackpoint
It is small and compact
Spill proof

Cons:
The trackpoint mouse buttons are ...wrong. They are beneath the surface of the armrest and have a curious shape that makes pushing them not an easy and pleasant thing to do.

In the end of the day, I guess it is a good keyboard just because it has a trackpoint in it, but it is not nearly the keyboard it could be, based on the previous thinkpad keyboards I have used.

PS. In many reviews on the net people complain about a sticky shift key. I can confirm that there is no hardware problem with that as the keyboard works fine in Linux, but the windows drivers may have a problem though.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is me being disappointed, 9 Feb 2012
This keyboard is not worthy of carrying the name ThinkPad on it. The quality is miles below the one on IBM ThinkPads such as e.g. my X41.
For example you have to push the mouse buttons very straight in order to make a click - never had any sort of trouble with that on my X41.

Then there's the features. It doesn't have enough keys. It seems to be strictly designed for US purpose, meaning using it in the "civilized" world, such as Denmark or Germany will leave you wanting for a key. Poor...

And at last; the support.
Horrible.
I use it on a Win7 machine. As you may know the Trackpoint is a four-way key, and when you push the middle button you enable scroll (or optionally a magnifying glass). Unfortunately the scroll enables both horizontal and vertical scolling, leaving the scolling to be very messy - especially if you zoom in on web pages etc.
Disabling horizontal scrolling is not an option in Windows 7. I've talked to Microsoft and they won't even give me the registry string address so I can change the values manually.

And Lenovo? They do provide a driver, but with no options with regards to scrolling (v. 1.07)

So... I bought it for my living room PC, used on my TV. I wanted the features of the IBM ThinkPad keyboard. And I am really disappointed!

Quality is worse than, say an entry-level Logitech keyboard, and there are virtually no customization options.

No support from Lenovo bids the question why this keyboard must be more than twice as expensive as it's competitors.

There are positives; The Windows-key is convenient, as I miss the win-d option on my X41.
And it's not entirely useless...

But I still feel that this is a poor copy of a quality product which used to be the hallmark of the company, when it was called IBM...