11,607 Reviews
 (8,936)
 (1,532)

8,869 of 9,001 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I hoped it would be
I hemmed and hawed a lot before ordering the Kindle; my first e-reader. I thought perhaps I'd miss something about the experience of reading a book. Perhaps I'd miss the feel of it, or the smell, or turning the pages. In actual fact, the only thing I miss is being able to re-read the cover and back page when I put it to rest after a long read. There's something satisfying...
Published on 9 Sept. 2010 by Amazon Customer

3,828 of 3,929 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Purchase of the year
Last year I moved to an offshore office which requires me to travel quite a lot by air back and forth to my family (exactly 57 flights in the last 10 months according to my frequent flyer account) and during those 10 months I've rediscovered my love of books. I always loved books but not having any other practical medium to distract my attention on such commutes has...
Published on 24 Sept. 2010 by M. Reid

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle - probably the future of reading, 16 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display (Electronics)
Having received my Kindle 3 I now feel qualified to review it; trying to be as balanced as possible.

First thing is I give this 4.5 stars, however since there is no half setting and a 4 isn't quite justified I popped it into the 5 star category.

When I received my Kindle it had protective films front and back, peeling these off reveals a matt textured back and a screen with a satin finish. For something so thin it feels quite solid and pleasingly weighted.

Whilst the screen is not as white as regular paper it is really rather good, Pearl grey is an excellent description and for those who are not sure, you can download the free Kindle for PC App and a free book from the store; once you have this go to the text button (Aa) and set the brightness control to about 70%. This will show you what the screen looks like in average lighting conditions. Dimmer conditions make the screen look somewhat darker but it is nice and clear with good contrast. Much has been made of the ability to read in bright sunlight and while some people have said there is glare from the screen I have not found this to be so. Admittedly if you hold your kindle at just the right angle you can get the screen to be difficult to read due to reflection but I would argue that this is true for almost any kind of screen and unless you really try to make it a problem it wont be!

The main page buttons are on the sides and feel good, with the forward button being twice the size of the back button. The keypad is functional and while the buttons are small (about 5mm across) they are quite usable. The 5 way controller is small but I find no problem using it and all the buttons have a slightly roughened texture that means your fingers feel secure on them.

Using the Kindle is a doddle and I'd reccomend reading the manual before using it but anyone familiar with menu driven systems will be able to do basic things without help. My Kindle was not registered to my account when it arrived, but I had changed the Names etc while the order was being filled, so that wasn't a shock. I found the registration quickly enough and it took seconds to complete as did connecting to my WiFi. As soon as that was done the books I'd ordered started to download and it took maybe 10 minutes for 32 books.

Reading a book is as simple as looking up the title on the home screen, simply press Home, use the page buttons to find the page with the book you want, use the 5 way to underline the title and then click the centre of the 5 way to select. Once reading a book you can set your kindle to sleep mode or turn it off then simply turn it on again and carry on reading from where you left off.

To summarize, It feels good in the hand, the screen gives great readability and whilst it could be whiter it is fine as it is. The interface is good but not perfect, but can and probably will be updated. Books are easy to get and can be obtained from places other than Amazon so you aren't tied to them.

If you're thinking of buying an E-reader then this is probably the best their is!, I don't regret buying it and in fact am happy to reccomend it to anyone...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Useless Brick Solution!, 20 Oct. 2010
I've always had a bit of an issue with books. I love reading, but when I've bought books and read them I always felt like I was left with a useless brick taking up space in my home, but at the same time I'm loathed to just give or throw them away because A, I've paid for it, and B, you never know I might want to read it again! Wouldn't it be great if you could own lots of books but have them take up no space?....

I'd had an awareness of ebook readers for some time now and much as I liked the idea there was always something holding me back from buying one. The price, the screen refresh rate, the quality of the text, availability of books, battery life... the list goes on. When I discovered the new Kindle 3 and looked into it I was intrigued as this seemed like a real step forward. My concerns appeared to be addressed so I took the plunge and bought one.

I've got to say this is a truly amazing product! I plumped for the wifi + 3G version as I figured the free worldwide 3G use means I can download new books almost anywhere. The book buying experience on the Kindle 3 is incredibly quick and easy to use, and no computer required making it a truly standalone device. Oh, and if you lose or break it, you don't lose your books. Amazon has a record of everything you bought so you'd just download it again. The text is utterly remarkable in quality, exactly like reading a page of a book, it works excellently outdoors too. It's not backlit, so if you were reading in a dark room you'd need a light on, but thats the same with a standard book anyway. Personally I think thats a good thing as it prolongs the battery life, and the battery life is massive! The main thing that surprised me about the reading experience was it's actually better than a normal book. It's light, you can read it very comfortably with one hand (or none if you lay it flat!), plus you can adjust the text size, no need for bookmarks (or dog-eared pages). On top of this, I've got an iPhone and the Kindle App works a treat. I often leave my Kindle at home and if I've got a spare moment when I'm out and about, I'll pick up exactly where I left off on my phone, then return to the Kindle and it syncs with where I left off on the phone - brilliant!

Now I know the Kindle 3 does other stuff like reads to you, has internet access and all bells and whistles like that. If that's you're bag then you'll find other reviews which go into it. Me - I was looking for a pure, standalone, reading device and this has exceeded all my expectations. Put simply, I can't recommend it enough!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My first eBook reader, 28 Aug. 2010
* Why I Bought a Kindle *
I'm one of those people who have been intrigued by the idea of eBook readers for some time but could never quite justify spending that much money on something for themselves. As a student at university, most weeks we seem to have great big PDFs to read which meant either developing really bad eye strain or murdering a good few trees just to print something I only planned on reading once or twice. Various reviews for the different readers seemed to imply PDFs were always awkward even on the most expensive of readers, so I kept telling myself that maybe if I waited for the next generation to be released additional functionality may be included. The day the newest model of the Kindle was announced in the UK I pre-ordered, with the affordable price tag and improved PDF handling I just couldn't resist.

* First Impressions *
Upon opening the box the first thing that struck me was how slim it was. I'd seen the Amazon photo showing it next sidewards on next to pencil, but it was only seeing it for myself that I realised it was incredibly sleek. The other thing I noticed was that the protective sticker on the screen telling me how to charge up my Kindle was just a transparent film & the writing was the actual Kindle display. Wow! I'd never so much as seen an eBook reader beforehand, so figured people were seriously overhyping when they claimed eInk looked just like a page from a book, turns out they weren't.

* Getting to Grips *
I stuck my Kindle on to charge and set about playing round with the settings. I expected setting up the wireless connection to be rather tricky and time consuming, but my network was immediately detected & I just needed to input my password. Very quick & pain-free. The eBooks I'd ordered from Amazon all started absolutely flying down, I was really impressed with the speed at which they downloaded (admittedly we do have a pretty fast internet connection though!) I'd heard negative feedback about how loud previous generation Kindles were when turning pages & that it took too long to load the next page, but to someone totally new to eReaders I didn't feel either were a problem. In fact, I was impressed with how quiet it was. One of the criticisms I do have is that when reading through a book I automatically expected the biggest key on the right to take me forwards a page & the largest key on the left to take me back one. Not a major gripe though & it's something I'm adapting to.

Next was time to try out the experimental browser, again I was impressed by just how crisp the pages were. Even without zooming in even the tiniest text was crisp & clear. One gripe I do have is that my Kindle doesn't seem to like dealing with secure connections, it has taken an instant dislike to both gmail & yahoo mail. Weirdly enough other uses have reported back theirs is totally fine, so please don't let this put you off. In fact, it disliked Yahoo so much my entire Kindle froze, which got me concerned I'd managed to break it within a couple of hours of receipt. Sliding the power button to the right for 15 seconds made everything better again though. I don't quite understand why Amazon decided against having an additional line of keys on the keyboard for numbers, I really think that was a mistake. Even with being able to use Alt & the keys from the top row it's still awkward, I find myself having to count along the top row in order to find the higher numbers. I have read some people saying they feel light grey on a dark grey background was a big design mistake but I think it looks nice & have no difficulties seeing which key is which even with my eyesight. In fact, I think if there was more contrast between the two it would be slightly distracting when trying to read. The keys may look much too close together, but my husband who normally has difficulties with tiny keys has tried out typing on it & had no problems at all.

* Document Transfer & PDFs *
I'd read through the help pages beforehand so knew how to go about getting a document converted by Amazon for free. I expected a lengthy delay, but within 2 minutes of e-mailing off my PDF it was available on my Kindle. I also manually loaded a PDF on via the USB lead. I actually preferred the PDF I'd manually added to the converted format, though I think that's just personal preference because it was much easier to navigate around the document. I found it particularly useful to rotate the screen 90 degrees & fit the document to width in order to easily read everything. I also liked how using the shift key & direction button gently nudged the PDF in the required direction - very nifty. Highlighting within the PDFs was rather hit & miss as sometimes it would save the line below the one highlighted, but then that sometimes happens on my PC so I think it's an accepted fact of PDFs. I liked being able to open the menu & have it tell me what all the highlighted parts or notes of the document were.

* MP3s & Text-to-Speech *
I already have several devices I can listen to MP3s on, so do not really intend on using this feature much. I added 3 songs to my Kindle though to test the sound quality. I certainly didn't expect that sort of sound quality from such a tiny device. I do think it's a shame you cannot easily go back a track, plus not being able to see what order the tracks are in or even what's playing is a shame, but isn't any cause of concern for me. The text-to-speech function was much better than expected, I was expecting a really flat, monotone voice & was pleasantly surprised by the variation in inflection. I also really liked being able to use the cursor to select where to start reading from. A nice addition would have been to have more than two options for voices (one male, one female - both american), but it works perfectly fine as is.

* Conclusion*
All in all I am really impressed with my newest little gadget. The text was clear enough for me to read without glasses, the reading experience itself was nice & quiet and the additional features such as the MP3 player & web browser may not be perfect but are not essential to the Kindle's main purpose. (Plus they are, after all, experimental) I haven't tried out a great selection of PDFs yet, but the ones I have seem to imply it really meets my needs. All I need now is to find a gorgeous purple cover to keep it safe & I'll be a very happy woman.

Edited 2 Sept to clarify two voice options are available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Converted!, 20 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display (Electronics)
I had my doubts - but now I am a complete convert! I love my Kindle. My ageing eyes are grateful for being able to increase the font size. Once you get the hang of it, it is easy to find your way around - and all too easy to buy new books while lying in bed of a morning ......

As a voracious reader all my life (I'm 61 now), I had reservations about the e-reader experience. However, I've had no problems changing to this format. In fact, I am actually preferring it to real life books! It's so nice not to have piles of paperbacks stacked up around the flat, with page corners turned down or spread-eagled open.

The Kindle is ready to use straight from the box and it was a breeze to set up. The battery lasts for a couple of weeks even with heavy use, and books really do download in a minute or less. My rave reviews have even persuaded others to go down the e-reader route.

So why only four stars? Well, the buttons can be fiddly. One of the Kindle's target markets is surely the elderly. Large print books are few in number, usually only available from libraries, and can be bulky and heavy. The ability to enlarge the font, is one of the great strengths of e-readers, and they are also light to handle. So giving the Kindle tiny little buttons that the elderly are going to find hard to use seems a bit of an own goal.

I suspect that improvements in the technology and formatting will continue apace over the next couple of years, and soon we will be wondering how we ever managed with such a basic product! But, for now, it's just wonderful. I can definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle newbie, 18 Sept. 2010
Mr. I. Ahmad "Kingy" (London) - See all my reviews
As a first time user of the Kindle i was unsure what to expect, i've never so much as laid hands on any previous incarnation.

First impressions:

Very slim and stylish device. All the curves are in the right place but not too "girlie" so i can happily show it in public!

I also ordered the leather case and light and for anyone who hasn't got this it is a MUST. It fits like a glove and makes it look a million times better, the light is very useful and not just an irrelevant add on. It is extremely well designed. Very light too.

Ease of use:

I couldn't believe just how easy it was to download books. It already had my details stored on one-click, all i had to do was add my wifi password and that was it. Just went to the kindle store and chose a book and pushed the button. That was it. by the time i clicked home, the book was all ready for me to read. So ridiculously simple it shouldn't be allowed. The speed of downloads was exceptional. No hassles, no hold-ups. Nothing.

Readability:

Again never having used any other device before i was unsure what to expect. The text was clear and crisp. The font perfectly sized. I fiddled around with the font and spacing settings and realised that the default font is the best. The turn page button is in the right place. At first i was hoping it would be lower as my thumb was too lazy to move the required half an inch upwards to turn the page, then i realised it was deliberately set like that so that there would be no "accidental" page turns. I like the fact there are no other unneceasary buttons on the side.

The speed of page turns at the beginning was a slight concern, i wasn't expecting the very slight delay. But i soon got used to it and now no longer even think about it.

Other features:

I havent used the 3G on it yet so cant comment, but the wifi is so good the 3g is barely required unless if someone wants to download on the move.

The text to speech was novel, i wasnt expecting that. But the software behind it needs a bit of work. Great idea, that a future software patch will improve.

The browser again is very basic, but since it wasn't a feature i was even expecting it does not matter. Again a future software update could improve it considerably.

Downsides:

Hardly anything. I am having to scratch my head as it really does everything i want it too. Although i am slightly curious why the screen size is not extended out slightly as there is a lot of "spare real estate" on the kindle. At least 1cm on either side. Or if the screen size is to remain the same size, the kindle can easily be shrunk a little more. The 5 way controller is slightly fiddly due to my fat fingers, and i would have designed it slightly differently. But hardly a show stopper.

Overall:

Superb device in pretty much every aspect. I have read 4 books on it in less than a week, it literally invites you to read. Superb design and functionality. Hardly any gripes at all and a couple of software patches could make it even better than it is. And definitely make sure you get the leather case and light for it. It makes an already brilliant device even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle 3G beats the Sony Reader Touch hands down!, 11 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display (Electronics)
When I first decided that it was time to invest in an eReader I was torn between the Amazon Kindle and the Sony Reader Touch. In the end I plumped for the Sony because it was cheaper that the Kindle at the time and I didn't have to ship it from the US.

It took a little while to get used to because it was obvious that I was reading books on a screen, if the light wan't quite right then the glare could be quite distracting. I figured that's what all ereaders were like though so I just tried to forget about it.

Everything was going well with my Sony Reader Touch until I discovered that one of my favourite authors had released a new paperback. I jumped online to download the ebook version and nearly fell off my chair. The ebook was 3 times more expensive than the paperback!

I was complaining about this to my brother who told me that Amazon were releasing a new Latest Generation Kindle, that it was affordable, but better still Amazon had promised that their ebooks would always be cheaper than the paperback versions.

That day I put my Sony Reader Touch on eBay and ordered my Latest Generation Kindle 3!

I ordered my Kindle in the middle of August and the estimated dispatch was September 8, they then emailed to say there would be a delay. Eventually it shipped on the 9th and arrived yesterday. Not bad next day delivery since I took the free saver option - however it did come from the HDLN and when no one was home they just left the parcel behind my wheelie bin! Thanks HDLN - you are lucky that it didn't rain, or get pinched!

The very first thing that I want to say about the Latest Generation Kindle 3G is that the screen is AMAZING! It is just like looking at a piece of paper. When I first bought my iPod Nano I was amazed to be able to watch videos on this little tiny device, and the Kindle 3G is a similar experience. I just keep looking at it thinking it's like having a piece of paper in the unit. It's almost like someone has stuck a piece of paper on the front of a dummy model to demonstrate what the screen looks like.

Works in all lights too. No glare like that awful Sony Reader Touch. Sorry Sony, but now I've got my Kindle I can see how poor my experience was with the Touch!

The other things worth mentioning are:
You can post favourite quotes and passages to FaceBook and Twitter at the touch of a button
You can listen to audio books
It doesn't get hot and burn your fingers.

The one downside? No case. Come on Amazon, even a neoprene temporary case would have been useful. Now I need to invest in a case so it doesn't get scratched - I'm actually thinking about making my own just to tide me over until there are more cases to choose from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi - Latest Generation, 22 Sept. 2010
There has been so much said and written about Kindle (both for and against) that I will keep my review short and sweet. Purchasing the new 3G Kindle has already greatly impacted on me and I've only had it 5 days.

1. Being disabled with chronic pain, getting to and from the library or book shop was strictly off limits for me - now I am free to browse at my leisure thanks to Kindle.
2. I have limited space to store all the books I would like to read - Kindle has freed me to store all the books I will ever need.
3. The niggles regarding the page turning that some are marking down in their review - I find that I hardly notice the change any more than turning a page in a real book.
4. In my case, Kindle worked straight out the box - both 3G and wi-fi registered without a hitch, a blessing as I am not the most IT literate person in the world.
5. It is easy to hold and because it is lighter than a paperback, I can read in comfort for longer.

Thank you, Amazon, for making my love of the written word a joy rediscovered as I take my pick from the "classics" to sci-fi and beyond - Kindle IS the e-reader I have been waiting for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful device, 2 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display (Electronics)
As a pensioner I was finding reading more difficlut because of eye strain and the massive differences in size and density of print in library books. There was also the hassle of reading a book which got heavier when reading in bed. The Kindle has returned me to being an avid reader. I carry it with me all round the house and can simply click and read a couple of pages when time allows. The screen is WONDERFUL the ink and print is terrific ,easy on the eye and causes no strain whatsoever. It is so good I keep finding myself trying to physically turn the page as you soon forget that you are reading on an electronic device. The other thing that is excellent is that there are less words on the page which makes reading more pleasurable. One of the best purchases I've made in a long time. BRILLIANT
I forgot to mention that it is ideal for accessing emails when I'm travelling in my caravan.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Great Rock `n' Roll Kindle, 30 Oct. 2010
Coincidence Vs Fate - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display (Electronics)
As a librarian I feel pretty torn in two regarding readers such as the Kindle. While I'm all for encouraging reading amongst all ages - particularly teens - I'm loathe to see anything that is a threat to a traditional book. However, the Kindle is such a beautifully simple piece of kit I can't help but sing from the rafters how great this device is.

Firstly, it's very simple to use; I had downloaded and started reading some Conan Doyle free from Amazon within ten minutes of excitedly ripping open the box (the City Link guy said he was "sick of seeing those boxes!"). Secondly it really is like reading a real book. The display is crisp and clear and does need to be seen to be believed. Talking of which, at first I was a little bit of a dullard and was disappointed that I couldn't read this in poor light that the display didn't "brighten". Obviously, you don't read a real book in the dark or poor light and you don't and shouldn't with a Kindle.

I was using my Kindle on the way to work this morning on the train. The display wasn't affected at all by the bright winter sunshine, everything was perfect.

A couple of moans, but only small ones. The device can be a little slow and take a few seconds to catch up with itself (if you know what I mean). Battery power has been pretty useless, only a day rather than the month promised by Amazon, but I have had WiFi turned on constantly; I've turned that off now so let's see how we get on. I've also had a couple of "lock-ups" where the Kindle has just had a blank screen and has taken a few reboots to come back to life. One last thing, it doesn't read .lit documents which was disappointing, but I did manage to download a free converter from the Internet which does the job.

I went for the Wifi only version and I doubt I will ever need the 3G as a book isn't like a song so I don't think I'll ever think "oh, I desperately need to read the Da Vinci Code" and download it in the street.

The Kindle is an absolutely brilliant device and I would encourage parents to buy these for their kids after all reading is the new rock and roll!

EDIT: Kindle charge lasts for less than a day so Amazon are going to replace. Good service.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was wrong !!!!, 14 Oct. 2010
P. J. Long (England) - See all my reviews
This really is an example of real thought being put into something. Within ten minutes of opening I had downloaded five books, looked up my website, and surfed with Google. So simple, and it works. The 3G is free, how long is anybodys guess, so many great classic books are free, and I really did forget that I wasn't reading a book. In fact, when drinking or having a snack, not having to find a way of keeping the book open AND turning the page is an absolute Godsend. The only reason I will buy a book in the future is because I can't get it on Kindle. I didn't think it possible but they really have come up with something better than a book. Please God let me live long enough to see instruction books given on Kindle as well as on CD. If you're wondering I'm 66 years and I love my Kindle. My wife bought it for me and I love her to!!