4.0 out of 5 stars I'm lovin' it!, 12 Feb. 2010
This review is from: I Bring What I Love (Audio CD)
A bit of a dodgy start with piano and keyboards and some soppy flute - perhaps it works better as a soundtrack? The vocals are very clear which is the only real plus point.
Then we're off into a wonderful bubbling tama (talking drum) and the familiar sound of Immigres with 8 backing singers including Viviane N'dour, Seun Anikulapo Kuti and Julia Sarr. The whole of the album is a 'best of' with acoustic and/or live versions of Youssou's songs.
There's a wonderful laid back version of Birima with Cheikh Lo amongst the backing singers and some lovely gentle percussive keyboards and acoustic guitar.
Yonnet has some nice kora and balafon, a touch too much soft keyboards, but is topped off by the wonderful textured voice of Mustapha Mbaye trading lines with Youssou.
There are a couple of great tracks from the 'Egypt' album with full Arabic string orchestra. The recording is really detailed and you can listen right in to the different strings of the orchestra and kora, counter balanced by the trilling flute. Mame Bamba starts slowly with an intro on oud and then some English vocals by Youssou before the orchestra, percussion and chorus come in with the catchy tune of Touba Daru Samba.
There are some great sing-along-a tracks like Atou Reer Na, Xel and Li Ma Weesu. The CD ends with an overly syrupy version of New Africa - I think it's probably the obviously emotional end to the film for the Americans!
Overall this is a great CD - however for me the soft keyboards are a little annoying at times. The best aspect is the softer acoustic setting that really gives Youssou the space to sing beautifully without competing with crashing sabars, electric guitars and horn section.

4.0 out of 5 stars THE LION OF SENEGAL, 7 Mar. 2011
This review is from: I Bring What I Love (Audio CD)
The music and voice of Youssou N'dour can be very emotional when the spirits combine,this is a part studio and live a lbum and is every bit as good as we have come to expect from Ndour.
The bulk of the album seems to extend from his magnificenT "Egypt" album with its atmospheric string arrangements
buy this album and enjoy hearing the heart of Senegals lion roar in full flight.

I Bring What I Love
I Bring What I Love by Youssou N'Dour (Audio CD - 2010)