5.0 out of 5 stars Getting out of bed is no longer such a chore
Ever since childhood I have been a very poor getter upper. This became more evident when living on my own and having no one to stand over me and insist I get up.

I have seen some of the reviews where people were unhappy with the product or felt that they didn't get what they thought they were getting.

I don't know about SAD, but there has been a...
Published on 2 May 2011 by Gilly

2.0 out of 5 stars A brief sound of nature, and a lot of sleeping
I bought this because I wanted the light and sounds to be an easier wake up than my usual alarm. Oh dear. Well, the concept is good and this clock has a lot of apparently good features, but the implementation is badly flawed.

Published on 3 Feb 2011 by clive1379

2.0 out of 5 stars A brief sound of nature, and a lot of sleeping, 3 Feb 2011
This review is from: High Tech Sunrise Alarm Clock - Dawn Simulator - Set Gradual Wake Up Light Alarm Up To 60 Mins - Nature Sounds Alarm Clock (Electronics)

The light never claims to be a `SAD' light and it isn't, fair enough. But it is not bright enough ever to wake me of its own accord. That said, I like waking up to find it on and it is not too bright to hurt my eyes.

My biggest issue is the alarm. Bizarrely the manufacturers decided each sounding of the alarm should last only ONE MINUTE! So I get just one minute of a tweeting bird (or alternative), after which there is silence. The light remains on. Five minutes later I get one more minute of a tweeting bird, after which both sound and light go out. Then five whole minutes later, the light reappears and another minute of sound occurs before stopping again. After that, silence and darkness - and yep, I'm fast asleep.

I don't call that an alarm. If Lifemax want to make this product work, then the alarm should come on and remain on until I decide to switch it off. The various sounds are OK and loud enough, but the short repeat cycle is noticeable. I have a kind of photographic memory for music and sound, and it irritates me to hear the repeat of the very short recording cycle.

The build quality is lightweight for the price (I paid @£25), but I have no particular concerns over this. It looks OK on the table and the display lights up with the light, which is a nice point.

So, I believe it fails at being an alarm clock. I am sure it would succeed if:
1. The alarm comes on and remains on the second time until I switch it off (allowing that first 5 minutes snooze - which I think is a nice idea).
2. The light would ramp up one more level of brightness.
3. The instructions tell you how to use the `lull to sleep' function.

If Lifemax would like to take my clock back and make these amendments, I'd be happy to recommend it and I would alter this review accordingly. As it is, I cannot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting out of bed is no longer such a chore, 2 May 2011

I don't know about SAD, but there has been a revolutionary change in my getting up habits since using this clock. I have tried various methods, but the results were much the same. I would either sleep through the alarm, or press snooze and then sleep through the alarm. And when I did get up I felt groggy.

I can't scientifically say that this alarm clock has categorically solved my waking problems. But what I can say is that from the first time I used this clock - with a 30 minute light effect thingy and a strange frog chorus which I think I should change (by the way, I think the telephone option is ingenious but probably a little too confusing for the state of my brain in the morning) - I awoke naturally before the frogs starting chuntering, and I felt rested and refreshed. And I have got up successfully every subsequent time that I have used it.

Which is a miracle. Ask my mum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!!!, 11 Feb 2013
Great way to wake up. In the time I have used this I have only needed the alarm backup once. I no longer feel groggy on waking with the gradual lighting up of my bedroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars High tech sunrise alarm clock Dawn simulator, 6 Feb 2013
It does its job well . It has realistic sounds and operates reasonably easily. and does wake you up gently

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!, 13 Jan 2013
I bought this for my son for Christmas ......... so far it's woken him up at 5am every working morning & more importantly it's not disturbed the rest of the house!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy cheap buy twice, 28 Oct 2012
To be honest I am not sure what I was expecting. As per previous reviews the light was very artificial and it did not actually wake me up until the sounds started. Also a 'snooze' button would help for the sounds as in the morning it is difficult to rememember which button to press. I like the idea and as soon as I can save up will be getting what is hopefully a more effective one. Please note the recommended adaptor DOES NOT WORK with this product and I therefore had to not only use batteries but spend the £10 on a adaptor which is now not needed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Should have gone to poundland, 21 Jan 2011
expensive and nasty, I get more light from my energy efficient lamp and the sounds are a seriously annoying way to start the day. I feel that this product was not worth a quarter of what I paid and the advertisment picture has been enhanced to make it look much brighter that it is. I would recommend paying more for one that does what it says.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good purchase, 31 Aug 2012
Square Eyes (Beverley, East Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my deaf daughter, to tell her when she can get up.
The light is ideal for her and the wave sounds also gets her hearing sister out of bed to turn it off.
When the dark mornings come the light will be very effective.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work or just poor?, 14 Feb 2011
T. Baraclough (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
We sent this back as not working because the light seemed to just switch on at the time that it was supposed to start gradually lighting up. Either there was something wrong with ours, or the difference between the dimly lit and fully bright settings was just too small to do the job.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 16 Jun 2011
Sorry but this was a REAL disappointment - plastic - difficult to set up, change settings etc. The button to switch the light on at night is tiny and not easily found in the dark as is the button to switch off the alarm. I set it up to try the 'out of house' option and now I can't turn it off, so it comes on for 30 mins every night at 11pm and has to be turned off manually. Guess I need to go and de-cipher the 'instructions' which have obviously been translated from another language!
On the plus side - it doesn't tick, but that's about it.