4.0 out of 5 stars Good device, very good price
Published on 9 Dec. 2010 by yankie

3.0 out of 5 stars cant say
cant say if good or not because bought for myself but mis sold mines pata this is sata so be careful other wise its onlygood as a tea cup coaster.
Published 12 months ago by Sgt A Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars Good device, very good price, 9 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Sony BD-5730S 6x Internal Slimline Blu-Ray BD Writer SATA (Personal Computers)
I bought this drive to upgrade my laptops dvd rewriter, cause I wanted to have blu-ray reading enabled device, I found many blu-ray combo devices not much cheaper than this rewriter, so I ordered this one. It is my first contact with blu-ray technology, except for PS3, so first I was afraid if my laptop is powerful enough to read blu-ray movies (Pentium dual core 2.2GHz, 3GB RAM, Intel GM45 integrated Graphics Card), but I rented few blu-ray movies and it handled them well, video is smooth and full of details, no jerking, audio is synchronized. CPU load was about 20-30%, so I'm guessing if your laptop has less computing power it still should handle them. I hadn't yet much experience with burning blu-rays, I bought Verbatim BD-RE 2x single layer 25 GB rewritable disc, just to test it. I used Ashampoo Burning Studio 2010(it's free for personal use) it took me about 1h to burn 15GB of data with 2x speed. It should be better with non rewritable media as it allows up to 4x with BD-R DL, and up to 6x with BD-R (SL/LTH). So If you want to back up your data it will be probably better than swapping DVDs, and possibility to have it all on one 50GB disc is great.
The only reason I don't give it 5 stars, even though I really wanted, is lack of any software with it, specially for playing movies, any OEM version of PowerDVD or WinDVD with blu-ray support would be great, If you want to buy them they cost about £50, so it's like half of the price of drive itself, and it's just for playing blu-ray movies, which I won't need that often, as DVD players you can get for free, so as burning software (like Ashampoo which I use). Good bargain could be Nero Multimedia Suite 10 Platinum HD which allows you to play blu-rays and write them, but I have to check it's trial version before I buy it(as far as I remember I never liked much Nero player for some reason, I have to try it again).
I can recommend it to any one who wants to upgrade their laptops with blu-ray drive, because for little more money than combo drive you get blu-ray writing possibilities. And if you don't care about playing movies, and you just want it for data storage than you should definitively buy it, as it won't need that much power from your CPU as for playing movies and you can easily find free software to write discs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price, a cable would have been nice., 28 Feb. 2011
Great value, works well. It comes absolutely bare so you need to find a combined power/data SATA cable to connect it up as it will not accept standard cables.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony BD-5730S Laptop Blu Ray Drive, 30 Nov. 2010
If you buy just one upgrade for you Core i3/i5/i7 based laptop, this is the one to get, faultless blu ray movie playback, plus the ability to burn up to 50gb data disc's, GREAT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compatability, 4 Sept. 2011
I bought this drive to replace my existing drive in my Samsung R780, but nowhere could I find if it was a straight swap or if I was buying a drive that would eventually become a white elephant and sit on the desk as a paper weight. Well to any other owner of a Samsung R780 or similar it fits.... Check your old drive to make sure its a S-ATA interface, If not, then its probably a P-ATA which isn't compatable with this drive.

Replace the fascia with the one from your old drive (otherwise it will look very odd), simple to do as its only held on by two clips, take the bracket off the rear of the old one (held by 2 tiny screws) and fit to the rear of the BD-5730S. Slide it in and secure it with the screw you removed earlier and as they
say "Bob's your Uncle"

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 May 2015
Very good.

3.0 out of 5 stars cant say, 13 May 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong unit delivered, 2 Mar. 2015
I am sure the Sony unit is very good but it is impossible for me to give a review for this drive as a Pioneer drive was sent to me instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars will this fit my laptop ????, 21 Jan. 2011
Mr. Steve Griffiths (uk) - See all my reviews
will this fit any sata laptops? , i want it in my samsung r519 and does the fachsia come off so i can put my samsung one on