5.0 out of 5 stars perfect summer sandal
I love the footbed shape of birkenstock they are very comfortable & supportive and the toe post does not rub.
Published on 17 May 2011 by barb

1.0 out of 5 stars Baffled by sizing
Published on 5 May 2012 by Janet from Barnet

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect summer sandal, 17 May 2011
I ordered these in a 38N as my feet are-I think - a normal width - I have never needed wide shoes. They are a perfect fit but only just - if you intend to do a lot of walking I would suggest the Medium width rather than the narrow as these shoes encourage your feet to spread a little and feet naturally swell during the heat. There are very good guides to help decide which width on walkingshoereview and birkenstocks own website
They are so comfortable I intend to buy more colours soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Birkenstock, 9 Aug. 2011
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
These shoes are fab. Granted they don't look particularly flattering with a dress but boy are they comfortable. I've had this pair for just over a year and every day it is marginally warm they come out. Be warned though, Birkenstocks take a while to adjust to. The first few times you wear them your feet will feel sore but they aren't, it is your feet getting adjusted to a correct walking position. The shoes are supportive, they fit well and they can take you miles. I can wear them day after day after day for an assortment of activities and they never let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Birkenstock, 22 Mar. 2014
These are my fifth pair of Birkenstock sandals and my second in this particular style. In most shoes I wear a UK size 5 /EU 38 but, on past experience, ordered size 4 / EU 37, as I know that Birkenstock sizes are larger than average. The sandals arrived very promptly; they are a perfect fit and as comfortable as I expected them to be. A word of caution: once you have treated your feet to a pair of Birkenstock, you won't want to wear anything else!

5.0 out of 5 stars classicbirky, 21 April 2012
These birkys are my faveourite style - they last forever and are very comfotable - I use them for holidays as walking shoes and they never hurt/rub
The sizing is slightly large so although I am size 8 I always order size 7 and they fit perfectly

5.0 out of 5 stars Birkenstocks are brilliant, 29 Jun. 2010
I bought my first pair a few years ago and was introduced to them by a colleague who swore by them. I didn't really get what all the fuss was about and always considered them to be a bit overpriced for what is essentially a summer shoe. How wrong I was!
After buying my first pair and having worn them to death, I promised myself I would get a smarter pair. I've just had delivery of the Gizeh in Black Patent and they are everything I wanted. They're smart and can be dressed up or down and are SO comfy. I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant and have had to let the strap out to accommodate my swollen feet and they are STILL comfy!
I would imagine for those people who don't like 'thong' or 'toe post' designs, these wouldn't be their thing, but I absolutely love them.
Like most shoes you do have to be careful of sizing, so I would suggest trying some on in a shop before buying online. I'm usually a UK size 8, and I wear a Birkenstock EU size 40 as they are quite wide.
Don't bother with cheap immitations- Birkenstocks are wonderful and will last for years if you look after them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Baffled by sizing, 5 May 2012
I would love to order a pair of these but I'm put off by the baffling sizing guidelines. I'm a UK size 4, EU size 37 but there are 2 size charts - a Women's chart, where a UK 4 is a EU 37 (length 240mm) and a Unisex chart, where a UK 4 is a EU 35 (225mm)?!?! As if this wasn't confusing enough, there is a 37M and a 37N and I can't find any explanation of the difference. If anyone has successfully ordered the right size, please could they explain how the sizing works?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!, 16 Jun. 2010
Reg (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Arrived after a few days, and the size was perfect. Tip: choose one size smaller than your regular size. This was my first birkenstock purchase, and I really like them so will buy from this retailer in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant after a little wearing in around the house, 30 Aug. 2013
Chris M (York) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I purchased these in White Patent for my wife for an upcoming trip to the states.

She wanted comfortable yet stylish flat shoes that she could wear out whilst shopping or walking during the day. Based on reviews here we went for Birkenstocks.

Pros:
Very comfortable – both between the toes and on the soles of the feet
Stylish – matches well with casual jeans / day dresses, so very versatile
Easy to keep clean – White Patent style means any dirt rubs off easily and keeps your shoes nice and white

Cons:
Can feel a little clumsy at first if not used to thicker soled shoes

Summary:
When the shoes first arrived she wanted me to return them as she thought they seemed ‘too clompy’ (this is her terminology not mine I hasten to add). And also the base of the shoe didn’t seem to flex as she walked.
She liked the look of the shoes on, just not the feel.

For some reason though (probably apathy), we kept them and I my wife wore them in around the house, after only a couple of days and a couple of hours wear my wife found them to be very comfortable, especially so between the toes, and she got used to the size of the thicker soles, which turned out to cushion her feet well on longer walks when on holiday.

The White Patent style is very good. Not only does it mean they’re a nice bright white in colour, but they stay that way because the dirt and dust just wipes off.

All in all my wife would recommend these shoes, still look great today after 3 months of solid wear through the summer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable but stylish, 15 Nov. 2011
Bought for me by my husband these have supremely comfortable soles providing fantastic support for the feet and body as with all Birkenstocks. They are still in the process of being broken in, however, the plastic toe prong being a bit harder and less forgiving than I am used to. The 3 mm thick leather is strong and supple and is of lasting quality. The strap design looks elegant on the foot and holds it well in place while walking. I have already ordered another pair of the same design in a different colour. Good width fitting and only a little generous on the length but not enough to be a problem. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birkenstock Gizeh Chain - Style With Comfort, 18 July 2010
The perfect footwear for hot summer days. They are so comfy!! I've not had them off my feet since they arrived. Not cheap but well worth the money. I love them so much I've just ordered another pair in a different colour.