5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars aren't enough!!!!!! I give it 10 out of 5 !!!!!!
10 Things I Hate About You is a fairly basic teen love story, but with the added twist of Shakespeare and very good comedic acting.
Published on 5 Oct 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Teeny Chick Flick
Great for a rainy day, or when you just need perking up with a good bit of teeny romance.

It's a lovely, feel-good romantic teen movie - and it's not sickeningly girly either. I like Kat's wild independent, but underneath vulnerable character.

However, it is Ledger and Stiles' performances which have made this a successful movie of it's genre. They...
Published on 10 Oct 2007 by Fiona

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars aren't enough!!!!!! I give it 10 out of 5 !!!!!!, 5 Oct 2002
By A Customer
The story is based on Shakespeare's Taiming of the Shrew. It is about two sisters, one very popular, Bianca Stratford(sexy: Larisa Oleynik) and the other, Katrina or "Kat"(superb: Julia Stiles) hated because of her gruff character. Their overbearing father(hilarious: Larry Miller), devises a scheme whereby Bianca cannot date until rebellious Kat does, which seems an impossibility. Thereby is set up a scheme to pair Kat off with the roguish Patrick Verona(outstanding: Heath Ledger). One of the masterminds of this plot is Cameron James(cute: Joseph Gordon-Levitt), a newcomer to Padua high, where the movie takes place. The other is his assistant of sorts, Michael Eckman(David Khyumoltz).
Though somewhat predictable, especially if you have read Taming of the Shrew, it is an interesting light diversion. The dialogue is quite well done, interwining a word or phrase from Shakespeares with modern teen slang. Other does to Shakespeare are seen in Kat's friend who idolizes him as if he is a teen heartthrob, plus reading of his works in one Kat's classes. The timing in the dialogue is also very Shakespearean. It's very rapid fire. I think both David Khumoltz and Larry Miller are amazingly funny!
Overall, this is not your typical shallow teen romance movie, but can appeal to anyone who enjoys witty dialogue, and many literary references.
The DVD is unremarkable. It has a good DD 5.1 soundtrack driven by a nice selection of alternative rock - Letters from Clio had several cameos, but I believe they mainly played cover tunes, not their own stuff. The DVD does not contain any special features.

4.0 out of 5 stars 10 Things I Hate About You, 25 Jun 2006
Dave Kraven (Burbage, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A classy teen update on Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew, this handsomely made and very diverting romantic comedy more than hits all the right comedic buttons as well as the romantic ones. Kat (played tremendously well by Julia Stiles) hates everybody which causes a slight problem for her gorgeous sister Bianca (Larisa Oleynik), when their dad tells her that she can't date until Kat does. Presenting loner Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger) who's the unlucky guy who introduces Kat to the dating scene while Cameron Jones (Third Rock from the Sun's Joseph Gordon-Levitt) tries his luck with Bianca. The young cast are impressive with Ledger and Stiles being on top with their excellent conversations that includes bickering and sweet-talk whilst Gordon-Levitt surprises as Bianca's sweet but geeky admirer. The script's nicely paced, the slick direction from newcomer Gil Junger's inspiring and delightful and the end result is predictable but ever-so rewarding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, disappointing DVD!, 19 Feb 2001
By A Customer
10 Things I Hate About You is an excellent film. It's full of the usual, pathetic, American high school prom stuff but manages to keep you entertained throughout. Performances are fantastic especially Julia Stiles' spot on portrayel of the school outcast. Definitely worth viewing.
The main let down with this DVD is the extra content, or lack of it! There are no extra features on the Region 2 disk which is a real disappointment. There's lots of potential for quotes or information about the inspiration (William Shakespeare's Taming Of The Shrew).
Worth buying for the film content but not exceptional for DVD features.

5.0 out of 5 stars There are more than 10 things I love about this film, 27 Mar 2007
H. Coles "Walking contradiction" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
I have to admit I was a little sceptical when I first approached this film as I absolutely love Shakespeare, however I was pleasantly surprised! The plot is of course brilliant and the casting equally so with charasmatic Heath Ledger as Patrick Verona and Julia Stiles as Kat Stratford and the partnership works very well. Gordon-Levitt on the other hand offers us a relatively weak performance, but don't let it put you off. Not only is this film funny and moving (I cry every time Kat reads her poem in front of the class) but it is also one I would recommend for every dvd collection. It may not be up there as far as adaptations go with Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet, however it is fresh, sharp and very entertaining. Buy it if you havn't already!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Film Ever!, 27 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This is my favourite film of all time, a take on Shakespear in a way that is fun and interesting to watch. A great love story you find yourself getting really involved with all the characters. Once you've watched it once you'll want to watch it again. I dont know how I coped without this film, I absolutely love it! A must have for everyones collection, Buy it now. Its also got a catchy soundtrack.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Than 10 Reasons Why This Film Rocks!!, 14 Sep 2004
If you haven't seen this film yet, RUN! don't WALK! to a video store and WATCH IT... I thought this film would be a little too sarcastic for me, lol, but nope! It has been pretty subtly adapted from Shakespeare's 'The Taming of the Shrew' and I don't know anyone who hasn't laughed @ it. Basically the plot is, Bianca (Larisa Oleynik), the teenage princess who all the guys fall for, is forbidden from dating until her bitchy older sister, Kat (Julia Stiles) does. Bianca asks the new boy (Joseph Gordon Levitz) to help her find a guy who will date Kat, and the only guy crazy enough turns out to be "the bad boy" Patrick (Heath Ledger)... This is the ultimate teen film. It's funny, very cool and great. The only reason I gave it just 4 stars is because I'm mad that I can't find any other movies with Larisa Oleynik in them!
Reviewed by britishfairyprincess :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Feisty, Funny and Fantastic, 2 Sep 2003
sjs101 "SJ" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
10 things I hate about you is a refreshing adaptation of Shakespeare’s classic the taming of the shrew. In it we see the feisty, tempestuous Kat Stratford angry at the world for being full of loser guys and her overbearing father not wanting her to go to University on the opposite coast. All this and she has a perfect little sister, Bianca whose only current concerns are loser guys, Prada backpacks and being popular, not surprisingly they have arguments when Bianca learns that she can’t have a boyfriend until her sister does and if she carries on like she has been doing Bianca won’t get to see a boy until she’s 50. So a plan is hatched to get Kat a date, for a price of course and in true teen movie fashion she finds out she was only there because her boyfriend had been bought with financial rewards, but now it’s too late because she’s fallen in love and is feeling hurt and dejected as a result.
10 things is set to a fantastic soundtrack with songs from Letters to Cleo, Save Ferris and Spiderbait. Alongside this are various scenes of hilarity, Kat crashing her car into the schools most popular boys’ car and being told by her father that insurance doesn’t cover PMS so she retorts to this ‘tell them I had a seizure’, Bianca having a dilemma over what she loves most Prada backpack or her Skechers and Bianca swinging a left hook into the nose of the now most hated boy in school. Oh and don’t miss the bit where Patrick sings ‘can’t take my eyes off of you’ to Kat over the tannoy system a very well directed scene shot over the school football field complete with full marching band what more can you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 things I love about 10 things I hate about you., 10 May 2003
1. Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The most adorable guy on the planet. If there was only one reason to watch '10 things', this awesome 3rd rock star would be it.
2.The fantastic cast. Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger work perfectly together, Larisa Oleynik is Stunning, David Krumholtz has the geeky best friend to a tee and Andrew Keegan shines as the guy we love to hate. Extra credit to Daryl Mitchell as the coolest teacher ever.
3.The fab soundtrack. Letters To Cleo are brilliant, and the entire songlist is hip and cool. I personally can't stop playing the CD!
4.The brilliant script. I love all the subtle hints to shakespeare, and I reckon this film holds the greatest one liners in hollywood!
5.The setting. The backdrop of seattle if gorgeous, and what wouldn't I give to go to school at Padua?
6.The bloopers. I don't think I've ever seen actors be so cool (and so funny) about messing up!
7.The storyline. I love the way everything is changed ever so slightly, and how shakespeare transfers so neatly into a teen scene.
8.The singing scene on the quad. What wouldn't I give to have Joseph G-L sing to me like Patrick sings to Kat? You're just to good to be true.....
9.The director. Some of the stuff is shot perfectly, e.g the "invitations down the stairs" scene. Congrats to Gil Junger.
10. The bit where Bianca kicks the crap out of Joey. Difinative Girl Power moment.
WATCH IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not Shakespeare, but it's close, 24 July 2000
By A Customer
Bored? Nothing to do? Have a few hours to spend? Then I highly recommend a movie I've watched this past weekend, 10 Things I Hate About You.
It's loosely based on Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew, but it's set in a high school in modern day. The premise of the movie is as follows:
Popular, beautiful teenager cannot date due to paranoid father. Father lays down the rule that she can only date when her older sister starts to do so, older sister being a mean, foul-mouthed girl. Boy who is crazily in love with popular, beautiful teenager hatches a plan to get the older sister dating.
Nowe I know what you guys are thinking- it's the same 'ol same 'ol, an average mindless teen flick. But it's not. It's much better than that. Sure it's not a terribly deep film with a fairly predictable sotry-line. But this movie has many witty lines and very watchable characters- even the minor characters are very well-developed, especially the paranoid father. Furthermore, the lead actress is extremely watchable- Julia Stiles- with her sassy attitude and warped outlook on life. Watch it, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
I liked it so much when I watched it for the first time on video that I rewound to my favourite parts and watched it again twice. It is so much better than the vaguely similar She's All That, which is dead boring.
Trust me. Watch it. But remember, it's not Shakespeare. It's not violent, mindless action. It's a gentle romantic comedy with a really good lead actress, many funny lines and a rocking soundtrack.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 30 Sep 2004
I watched this after being recommended by many people to!
Ok, so its a good film and yes it is enjoyable. But I'm not as stir crazy as everyone else seems to be. Maybe its the fact that there are so many teen type movies around that they each become slightly predictable.
Stiles and Ledger play their roles well, and his dance routine on the steps certainly brought the giggles out.
At the end of the day its an easy film to watch, and hard not to enjoy!

10 Things I hate about you 10th Anniv SE [DVD]