5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent trio of top tip camera books
Published on 24 Sept. 2010 by Snoopysnape

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, Annoying and Unreadable
1) The author, on just about every page, has to try and be funny 2) He isn't funny 3) If you erased all the wasted text of him trying to be funny you could possibly condense all four books into one meaningful book containing useful photographic information 4) If I wanted to buy a boxed set of books containing silly jokes then that would be fine, but these were not...
Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent trio of top tip camera books, 24 Sept. 2010
I really like the style of these books written by Scott Kelby, because they are written in such a way that doesn't require you to read pages and pages of text and technical jargon to get to the point. In fact most of the tips are little more that a 3rd of a page long and the author has made each one easy to understand - even for the novice photographer. The books deal with all aspects of photography, not just the art of taking great photos and although some of the tips might appear obvious, the vast majority are unique and highly useful. I orignally began to read my Nikon D90 manual to get to know my camera - but in reality that was far too in-depth and heavy going for a person at my stage of learning. These books on the other hand allow me to understand the functions of my camera and basics of photography without trawling through pages and pages of endless text. The books are not solely biased towards Nikon or Canon users - the principals apply to any make of camera you may own.
If I have one slight criticisim of the books it would be that Scott Kelbys humour is a little bit annoying at times (especially in the 1st book) but that shouldn't stop you enjoying these books and learning lots of new tips. All in all a really good set of books highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 14 July 2010
These books seem to divide opinion with a number of reviews commenting on flippancy and style. It is undoubtedly written in an idiosyncratic manner that is fairly common in US books and magazines. For all that, the content is excellent and very direct. I have learnt more in a week with these tomes than from any other photography guide I have ever looked at previously. The content is catchy such that you can actually recall it when shooting and for that reason I rate it highly. Ignore the naysayers and buy it, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, easy to read, 6 Aug. 2010
Scott Kelby's style of writing is easy, comfortable to follow, and informative.
This three book set is excellent value for the money.
The books concentrate on using either Nikon or Canon DSLR cameras, but don't let this put you off if you don't have one of these, the techniques described apply to all levels of digital photography and is ideal for the beginner, and ideal for the more experienced person looking for a bit more clarity of how to do things. These books are not full of technical jargoneez they provide how to snippets for a massive variety of situations. I also happen to like Scott's quirky sense of humour which helps to make the books easier to read.

WARNING
_______

Once you pick these books up its difficult to put them down again.

Also try http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-Digital-Photographers-Voices-Matter/dp/0321580095/ref=pd_sim_b_4 if you are using Photoshop CS4 as Scott brings the same informative manner to the effective use of this software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 17 May 2010
Mrs. H. Wyeth (UK) - See all my reviews
This is by far the best book on photography I have ever read.
After only reading book one, I have learned so much.
It is full of helpful hints tips and humour.
Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phil, 15 Feb. 2010
P. Bunce (London UK) - See all my reviews
I found this to be an excellent choice of books. They teach you what you need to know to get of the ground. The examples are good and the points made are very clear and easy to follow.

Highy recomentd the product.

Phil

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott Kelby's box set, 11 July 2010
Ae Murray (global) - See all my reviews
Fantastic set of books. Lead you from common "mistakes" made by enthusiastic "snappers" to looking for shot composition. Especially handy are the "how to take this stype of shot" hints - what to look, for, what shutter and aperture settings, what light, with/without tripod. All in easy to understand, non-tech speak. Superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!, 12 Feb. 2010
B. Langhorne "Bentastic" (Albourne, UK) - See all my reviews
I have never written a review before, but as I thought this book collection was so amazing I just had to!

Scott Kelby brings your camera alive in these 3 easy-to-read yet comprehensive books. He talks to us as if we were his mate in a pub, whilst providing us with the full comfort and support that any amateur or professional photographer needs. Hi books are easy to navigate and explain your camera and what you can do with it in a step-by-step manner!

I cannot explain how great these books are, but I am a fully amateur photographer, and have only read the first chapter and already I need to write a review!

Well done Scott,
keep 'em coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kelby's 123, 21 Mar. 2010
The best, no nonsense information available on photography.
No techno-speak, just plain info on "how to" achieve a desired picture.
This guy gives you tricks of the trade that pros have been using for ever.
Simply the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had bought this sooner!, 1 July 2011
I purchased this box set on recomendation from a professional photographer who refered to it as his 'bible' .

I wish that I had bought this when I first got my DSLR rather than spending money on other books that were no way as near as usefull as this.

It's not split into detailed chapers on aperture, iso etc , it's more like each page is a 'tip' that points you in the right direction, under headins of 'how to take great portraits' 'animals' 'Sports' .

If you already have grasp of basic DSLR operation, this realy will improve your photography. You may not like his sense of humour but I found him light hearted and I felt that I didn't get 'bogged down' with the tech side. I'ts definately shown me what to buy next in terms of equiptment, i.e don't spend a lot on these 'gimmicky' filters, get yourself a few staple filters and an off camera flash and you will be doing great. Since it is split into tips, you may not take all the info in at once, but a good idea is to 'dog ear'/bookmark the pages you think are usefull for future reference.

Be warned, the books are almost magazine quality in terms of print & binding - but mine will be so messed up from taking them out this does not bother me. Each book also contains a 'recipe' section at the back - so in other words, 'if you want to take a photo like this, then do this....' which is a great quick reference.
I look forward to reading more of Scott Kelby's books, yes, he does churn the books out like there is no tomorow but I think they are great. Looking forward to his no nonsense, no jargon teachings of Photoshop in the future. This amazon Box set was purchased at £19.99 or thereabouts which is a bargain, as the RRP of each volume is about £12 and the box set retails in WHSmith etc. for arround £35.99. Hope this was usefull, and sorry for any typos!. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars You MUST have this set of books, 8 July 2011
This is my second purcase of this set of photography books.(This set is going to NZ as a Christmas present!) If you are just starting to get serious about digital photography, just let Scott show you the right way to take professional photos without all the technical jargon! His approach is light hearted and the presentation makes everything easy to follow.