5.0 out of 5 stars Tells the time
I looked at this watch the day before in a high steet shop then paid £30 less for it from Amazon. Tells the time ok, looks good to me and no battery. My wife has had Eco drive watch for 6 years now and still keeps perfect time.
Published on 10 Oct. 2010 by Konfigman

3.0 out of 5 stars Handsome but flawed design
Published on 18 Dec. 2011 by AndrewL94

3.0 out of 5 stars Handsome but flawed design, 18 Dec. 2011
AndrewL94 (Plymouth, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I particularly wanted a brass or gold coloured watch with a brown leather strap. This one from Citizen caught my eye, neither too big nor too small, with its pearly white face and crisp metal figures, and the price seemed reasonable. I have had this watch for 18 months now. You can't review such a product until you have thoroughly road-tested it. People have commented on how attractive it is. It keeps good time, and a huge plus is the Eco-drive, driven by solar energy, thus requiring no batteries or mechanical winding.

Now the down side. First, the strap is cheap and nasty. In six months you will be replacing it. Second, the date is so small and lacking contrast, it's hard for someone with normal eyesight to see. Finally, the adjustment knob is extremely fiddly. It has two positions, one for the date and one for the time. Whenever a month has less than 31 days, you will have to adjust the date manually. But I ended up using my teeth to pull the knob out to the correct position.

It would appear you can't have beauty *and* functionality without forking out a lot of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tells the time, 10 Oct. 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch. Water resistance is OK, 19 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Citizen Eco-Drive Gents' Strap Watch (Watch)
The watch looks very elegant, like any good quality expensive watch. Nice gold colour. Date and day are also visible. The strap is made of genuine leather. Initially the leather made a 'plastic squeak noise', which was a noise due to the fact that was brand-new, exactly in the way a new pair of leather shoes make a noise. I tried to stretch the strap to many directions and the 'noise' since then disappeared for ever. The watch is 'water resist', meaning water resistant class 'B' ranking (highest class 'E', lowest class 'A'), according to the manual the company includes with the watch that it is 'an ordinary water resistant timepiece and can withstand sweat, raindrops etc. in daily use'. Not for swimming or other activities. To me, this is expected for this type of watches, but still different from what amazon description is written (10 m water resistant) which is not correct. Setting the date/day is very easy, just requires to pull the crown one step and to move it to the one direction so as to change day and to the other direction to change date. Setting the time requires to pull the crown two steps. 'Eco drive', means that if you expose the watch to direct sunlight for 11 hours, it will be charged for 6 months! Alternatively, only 40 hours of exposure on a cloudy day is adequate for 6 months of full operation! The watch has an operation to avoid overcharge. The watch operates well so far. Overall I am more than happy because it is an excellent classic watch that is reliable, durable, looks expensive, AND does not need a battery, something that is extremely important FIRST because in any other case you need to pay every 1-2 years an amount of money so as to change the battery and SECOND nobody needs to open your watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything works - poor instructions, 19 April 2014
I was put off by some of the negative reviews, so did not order for a long while. But my existing quartz, twelve years old, although it keeps excellent time, often runs out, always just when I am far away from any possibility of a replacement. I was so taken with the concept of no battery to change - ever - that I recently went ahead and spoiled myself for my birthday.

This is a fine watch - elegant appearance, apparently well made, keeps perfect time and is excellent value for money. The most serious negative reviews appear to be due to either not reading, or not understanding, the instructions, which are not very good. Surely Citizen could get a watchmaker, an artist and an English graduate to sit down for an hour together and prepare a clearly understandable, accurate description of how to set the watch. Or put a video on youtube (oh, I may be an old fart, but I'm with it !!)

He who complained about the days being in "Spanish" apparently did not notice that as the crown wheel is rotated to set the days, as instructed, they appear in English, German and French, in fixed sequence. Therefore if you first set it in English, subsequent automatic changes are always in English. (I managed to get it wrong however - I set it on Mon, assuming Monday, but in fact it was Montag! Somewhat puzzled when days in German subsequently appeared, but soon figured out and reset correctly).

He who complained of a fiddly crown wheel would also have been better served by clear instructions. Holding the watch between thumb and forefinger of both hands, face up, with the crown wheel on the right, the crown wheel can be easily pulled out to first or second "click", under full control, by slipping the side of the nail of the index finger just between the crown wheel and the case. I don't think using teeth on it is a good idea, neither for the watch nor for one's teeth!
The strap is certainly not cheap. It is thick real leather, the parts very solidly put together, but it is rather stiff. Frankly, not to my taste - I prefer a smooth leather - but that is only personal preference and I shall soon be changing mine
for a soft black suede strap.

I'm well pleased with the watch. It looks fine, works perfectly, keeps time to the second over more than a week and I am looking forward to many years of batteryless, non-winding, accurate timekeeping. I have an idea it will see me out.

P.S. Nearly a year later and everything is still working as it should. There are some better instructions on the internet - I would recommend you observe the instructions about when to set or re-set the time/date. I get compliments on how well it looks. The only negative experience is that the time/date is difficult to read in sunshine - the top of the aperture casts a deep shadow over the letters/digits which are deep set under the dial. I doubt I will ever buy another watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it or you will be regretted, 3 Feb. 2013
W. T. Hau - See all my reviews
This review is from: Citizen Eco-Drive Gents' Strap Watch (Watch)
Excellent quality. The gold plated design fit just right with the brown leather strap! Great product! recommend to those who concern in both quality and price!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic- - -functional., 3 Jan. 2013
I wanted a classic looking - -almost old fashioned if you like--analogue watch with a date facility. A date facility that I could actually work out how to set correctly! In the past I have gone for much cheaper battery operated watches which always seemd to be needing new batteries. The eco drive solar powered system with this watch was a key reason for me paying the £70 price. Since it arrived of course there has been little sunlight and mostly rain but it seems to be running perfectly well so far on what little energy it can draw from the grey skies! And yes - -I was able to set the date by following the comprehensive instructions. I am pleased with it up to now but ask me again in two years time whether it is still running and was it worth the extra money! If the answer proves to be in the affirmative - -then it will get 5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really elegant watch, 14 Dec. 2013
Was concerned about negative reviews that said days listed in Spanish (!), day/date difficult to read and crown difficult to pull out. Decided to take risk and was glad I did. The days are in more than one language, and it was easy to have them in English. My sight is not good but I can read the day/date. And the fact that the crown knob has to be unscrewed before you try and pull it out - see instructions before use - is a very clever piece of safety, and easy to use. Of course I've only just received it and so can't say if it's durable, but it's certainly elegant, and good value. Delivery was next day. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Timepiece, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Citizen Eco-Drive Gents' Strap Watch (Watch)
Very pleased when the watch arrived it exceeded expectations. The watch looks elegant and the strap is classy too. Plus easy to set the day, date and time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish & Inexpensive, 17 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Citizen Eco-Drive Gents' Strap Watch (Watch)
A very stylish looking and inexpensive watch, keeps really good time and with it being an Eco watch it needs very light to keep it going, the only problem that I have with it is the Crown as I have large fingers I have some difficulty in changing the date on a Month when only 30 days, other than that it's really good and would reccomend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant dress watch, 28 Dec. 2012
I have had a Titanium Eco-drive WR 100 m watch for the past three & half years, when my wife asked if I would like a dress watch I had no hesitation to request another Citizen Eco-Drive as it does what it says on the box.

Citizen Eco-Drive Gents' Strap Watch