5.0 out of 5 stars if only this had been made earlier...
I lost my brother to manic depression several years ago. I caught a couple of episodes of Stephen's documentary when it was originally broadcast but missed much of it as I live abroad. My mother had never seen it and we decided to get the DVD for her as a stocking-filler.

Published on 6 Jan 2011 by Gus

2.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity to do something amazing
First things first. I love Stephen Fry, and I have a severe depressive illness. Thought I'd declare that at the start - y'know, declare my interests. I thought this DVD would be both interesting and informative, but it left me feeling more than a little let down.

I watched the programmes when they were first shown by the BBC, and while I found them...
Published on 8 Aug 2010 by mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars if only this had been made earlier..., 6 Jan 2011
This review is from: Stephen Fry's The Secret Life Of The Manic Depressive [DVD] [2008] (DVD)

Stephen Fry tackles this little-known and often misunderstood illness with remarkable sensitivity and careful humour. The series is both entertaining and informative as Stephen seeks to better understand his own bi-polar illness. He talks with people from all walks of life, with doctors, mega-stars of stage and screen and "ordinary" people who suffer from or work with sufferers of this illness every day and his honesty about his own condition and his sincerity in seeking to draw others to be equally open about theirs makes this a very moving piece of work.For many people, diagnosis of their bi-polar manic depression comes after they have suffered for many years and have made at least one suicide attempt, for my brother his diagnosis came too late. I watched the DVD with my mother and we both had tears in our eyes at the end - she turned to me and said "That was your brother - if only we had known all this when he was still alive". I have a much better understanding of this dreadful illness now and when I think back to certain episodes with my brother I can see that it was his illness that was driving his life along such a self-destructive path. Thank you Stephen Fry for this piece of work, I can only recommend it most highly to anyone who suffers from or who knows someone who suffers from manic depression.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this if you have Bipola, 6 Feb 2010
I have been waiting for this brilliant programe to be placed on DVD since it was first aired.

If you,like myself are Bipolar/Manic Depressive then this is defaintly worth a watch it gives you a good insight in to other suffers life's thus showing it's not just you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and challenging, 27 Nov 2010
Thoughtful, funny and gives stigma towards mental health problems a massive kick in the pants. I work in mental health and having watched this many times, am still moved by it. Have used it to teach others about the experience of bipolar disorder. Thank you Stephen Fry and the producers for the best doco to give insight into mental health issues for many years

4.0 out of 5 stars explains my "Fryed" brain, 8 July 2011
Iris Lawton "islandpup" (Azores, N. Atlantic Ocean) - See all my reviews
Loved the video and think if someone was to finally start explaining this illness then Stephen Fry is absolutely the best choice and I hope he does a follow up DVD. I have been living with Manic Depression all my life and since being put on meds 15 years ago I have decided (thanks to this video) to slowly wean myself off them (with a doctors guidance) and learn to live with it naturally. Learned some tips from this video - one example is taking Omega 3 which I knew was good for the brain but I just never thought of using it for my illness. Stupidity is not related to being bi-polar, it is just my problem (which maybe omega 3 might cure (groan)).

My only problem with the video is that aside from Lithium (which I tried once but it made me more suicidal) there is a lack of information about other choices, and there are many. The video does mention that there are other treatments but not enough about what those are. The combination of anti-depressants and mood stabilizers to mention just one, is a common treatment these days but I'd love to have learned the name of these drugs such as Prozac (anti-depressant) and valporic acid (a mood stabilizer) amongst others.

I am glad I purchased the video and believe that it is a must see for anyone suffering with, related to or friends with sufferers of this illness. For those who do not have the illness but have dealings with someone who does it helps to explain the bizarre behaviour we exhibit and only have minimal control over.

Businesses also, could learn a lot about why not only employees but customers might be annoying or difficult to deal with at times. Someone who is in the throes of mania might be excited, loud, complaining, or ordering much more than normal, amongst other things. This person may be embarrassed later and never order from you again. You might not understand and blame yourself or an employee or spend hours looking for where you went wrong and how you lost the customer never realizing that it is not that you or your firm did something wrong but the illness caused the loss of the customer.

My wanting to expose others to knowledge about Manic Depression is also selfish insofar as I hope that if more people understand this illness there might finally be more research on better treatments than those available now.

Again, I believe this is a must see for anyone having any association with this disease.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 21 Mar 2010
M. Tilford (UK) - See all my reviews
I used this DVD to illustrate to medical students the experience of Bipolar disorder . It is a great teaching resource and not something they can learn from a book on psychiatry!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Honest, Dignified Look at Manic Depression, 22 Dec 2011
Brawny Withed (Leeds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have nothing but praise for this documentary about the complex and difficult disease that is Bi-Polar Disorder or Manic Depression.

Stephen Fry himself suffers from Manic Depression and so he sets off in this documentary to meet people with the condition as well as Doctor's and Psychiatrist's.

The programme is very honest about the subject and its really encouraging to hear people with this condition speak so openly about their own experiences even if they happen to be well known in the cases when Stephen speaks to Carrie Fisher and Richard Dreyfuss about their battles with it.

I'd encourage everybody to watch this documentary as if you suffer from depression or another mental illness it lets you know your not alone and if you don't suffer you can appreciate what others maybe going through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Informative, 13 Sep 2010
As a person recently diagnosed with bi-polar disorder, I purchased this DVD because I was interested to see/hear Stephen Frys' experience of the illness. I found the 'documentary' to be very informative and it has helped me to understand many of my own experiences of the illness.
The information given within the programme was clear, concise, easy to understand & with no jargon. Great for ANYONE to watch who wishes to understand more about bi-polar disorder!!!
A BIG THANKYOU to Stephen Fry, Richard Dreyfuss, Carrie Fisher and the many others who so openly shared their experiences and contributed to the making of this fantastic programme !!!

Further useful Literature :
Mood Mapping: Plot your way to emotional health and happiness
An Unquiet Mind

5.0 out of 5 stars stephen fry, 3 Mar 2012
A moving insight into the anguished world of sufferers of bipolar disorder. An excellent DVD for people wanting more knowledge of this fraught subject,showing us that anybody,rich or poor can become victims to this illness. Stephen Fry is a great advocate for those of us who suffer the stigma of mental health issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 24 July 2011
Nici Z (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
Just got diagnosed with bipolar myself and have to say this DVD made me face it and understand it better. Helped a lot and very informative. Thank you, Stephen Fry for being so open.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant DVD, 6 Dec 2010
This provides a good understanding of that which is Bipolar Disorder. Stephen Fry offers an empathetic illustration of what it is like to live with this disorder, understandable to those who struggle with it, are carers or those who have little understanding of it. An easy watch.

Stephen Fry's The Secret Life Of The Manic Depressive [DVD] [2008]