5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant
once you have one of these you you will wonder how you managed without it. It works brilliantly on strawberry's and is fantastic on tomatoes. If you are going to peel tomatoes for soups etc you can just hull them drop them in boiling water and the skin comes off so easily
Published on 5 Jan. 2011 by purpletarka

3.0 out of 5 stars Works..with help. Too expensive for item that needs help.
Published 14 months ago by emm

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 5 Jan. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb invention, 11 July 2011
This review is from: Chef'n StemGem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen & Home)
Oh, how wonderful to have found this simple but exceptionally helpful kitchen tool which I purchased recently (came very quickly too). I love strawberries but hate hulling them. I've never been successfull with this. I tend to get lots of strawberry under my fingernails in my endeavour to pull out the hull and after a few unsuccessful tries, end up cutting off half the top of the strawberry with much waste.

The reviews on this pretty little gadget all looked good so I thought I'd try it. Wonder upon wonders, it works amazingly well. Just push the silver open claws into the strawberry, twist the strawberry firmly and hey hoe, out comes the hull as clean as a whistle, leaving nice eatable fruit. If like me you hate hulling strawberries, buy this wonderful gadget for your kitchen drawer.

I have yet to try it on a tomato but sounds good as I also hate the green middle bit of the tomato, especially within a sandwich.

I must buy one for my daughter and daughter-in-law now. It would also make a nice inexpensive Christmas gift.

Many thanks to the inventor.

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I ever live without one of these !!!!!!, 5 May 2012
This review is from: Chef'n StemGem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen & Home)
I am absolutely stunned at how useful and efficient this little strawberry huller is.I am going to buy one for each of my friends and an extra for me just in case mine gets borrowed and not returned . Great with tomatoes even the softer ones.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works..with help. Too expensive for item that needs help., 3 Mar. 2014
emm (birmingham, w mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chef'n StemGem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen & Home)
A fabulous idea and ace if it works like other reviews lead you to believe but everytime I put it in a strawberry, regardless of how soft or hard it is, the jaws don't close..not designed to I don't think as there is no spring on it to return jaws to grip the strawberry so if you rotate it round and pull out the hull does not come off. Only way to make it work is to manually push the jaws together or at least towards each other so that they grip..and then it does the job perfectly and yes it is nice to not have the waste that can happen when cutting top off with a knife. Bit fiddly/time consuming like this. Needs to be much cheaper for the quality of function. Other than jaws, well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars strawberries, 31 July 2011
This review is from: Chef'n StemGem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen & Home)
Saw this gadget on "This Morning" television. My 3 year old grand daughter loves strawberries but I hated picking out the stalk with my fingers and my daughter chopped the top off the strawberry wasting so much of it. This gadget is absolutely brilliant to take out only the stalk and leave all the strawberry. Couldn't live without it now I have got it every home should have one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Chef'n StemGem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen & Home)
Wasn't sure if this was just another gadget destined for the back of the cupboard along with the other stuff I've wasted money on in the past BUT the strawberry huller is really good! So much so I bought one for grandma as a gift. Easy to use, easy to clean and even works on tomatoes! Excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strawberry huller, 17 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Chef'n StemGem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen & Home)
[[ASIN:B002XOHZWC Chef'n StemGem Strawberry Huller] It works well on strawberries and tomatoes of various sizes and is easy to use. The only thing is when washing the huller being able to clean inside the jaws hence only 4 stars, overall a good buy and in regular use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really easy to use, 4 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Chef'n StemGem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen & Home)
Once you get the knack of this little tool, it is much quicker than trying to pull the storks or using a knife.

The trick is to put the prongs in, twist and withdraw, simples!

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good little kitchen gadget, 13 Sept. 2013
Steve.J (Glos. UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chef'n StemGem Strawberry Huller (Kitchen & Home)
I was doubtful when my wife asked if I would buy one of these for her. Oh no! I thought, yet another rubbish gadget to clutter the kitchen drawers!!

Well, I have been impressed by what a neat little piece of kit it is, it works really well and saves on the wastage you usually get when hulling Strawberries - and lets face it, they are too expensive and taste too good to waste anything.

It took a few goes to get the knack of using it - as I always say "try reading the bloody instructions!!" they are there for a reason. Once I had got the hang of using it properly, it was on to the job of preparing 3kg of Strawberries for my wife's annual preserve making fest. This tool made the job so much faster and with much less wastage of the fruit. It even works on very ripe Strawberries (but you do have to be very gentle when doing it).

I thoroughly recommend this item and will update the review after we have tried it with Tomatoes. Do check out prices, as they seem to very quite a lot.

** Update - Yep, it works with tomatoes as well!! Useful if you are just preparing them for the freezer etc.

If you are in to making preserves, then look up the recipe for making Strawberry, Rhubarb and Vanilla Jam - sounds odd, but tastes absolutely wonderful!! (Just be careful to use good quality Vanilla paste or pods, not the cheap and nasty flavourings or essences you sometimes find in supermarkets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keyhole surgery for strawberries :-), 30 Aug. 2014
I Love this!!
My eight year old would eat two punnets of strawberries a day if I let him, but he's not so keen on the 'green bits' and since Mum here was born with only one hand, prizing them out the usual way was just too fiddly for me. So I got the fun job of slicing the whole top off the strawberry, which was rather messy as the poor strawberries bled everywhere. Now I just steady the strawberry with my stump, press the button, plunge, release, twist ...and voila! 'Green bits' removed with almost surgical precision, and with a lot less blood loss! It is strangely satisfying too... the plunge of the sharp, shiny metal, the gentle resistance and then the yielding, of the firm, pink-tinged flesh... but, perhaps that's just my inner psychopath coming out. Ahem..

I can happily go through a punnet in less time and with less mess than the open-surgery method, and even the eight-year-old likes to have a go, so smiles all round. I can even take the 'funny bit' off the top of grapes (to normal, non-eight year old people, this is just the hole where the stalk has been) IF i'm feeling particularly affectionate towards my rather strange and overly picky offspring. Go one, get one. Its useful...and fun!

Chef'n StemGem Strawberry Huller