5.0 out of 5 stars No more lost connections!!
Published on 20 April 2010 by DBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent when it works but horribly unreliable
Published on 9 July 2011 by C. J. Kent

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent when it works but horribly unreliable, 9 July 2011
C. J. Kent - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin Double N+ Dual Band Wireless Router with Reduced Interference & High-speed Internet Connection 300 Mbps (F6D6230UK4) - for Cable / DSL users (Electronics)
I was extremely pleased when I first got this router. It was simple to set up, has a decent configuration interface and performed well. Unfortunately after a couple of days I noticed the 5GHz network would regularly disappear and I had to connect via the 2.4GHz network and go into the configuration interface to get it back. I contacted Belkin support who told me to install the latest pre-release firmware. That fixed the problem but created a new problem that is much worse. Now the router locks up every couple of days and the only way to get it back up is to power it off and back on. Totally unacceptable.

3.0 out of 5 stars For the price it is OK but definitely not worth the full asking price., 17 April 2012
I bought this router to upgrade my old Belkin router, I was looking for a cheap router that operated on the 5Ghz band as the 2.4Ghz band is very congested around where I live. I have now had this router for a few weeks. My first impressions from unboxing this were:

1: It is very large, when stood upright it is around 33cm tall, compared to my old router this is almost double the size.

2: The power supply appears to be some sort of 2 pin plug attached to a 3 pin adapter for UK sockets. I have found that it sticks out and blocks the socket to the left of it. I have my doubts as to if this is the UK version as the model number is F6D6230-4 v1, the UK models all seem to have UK in the model number.

Setting it up was very straight forward, I didn't need the CD at all however the CD setup guide looks very straight forward to use. Once it was set up and running I have found it has a lot of features to play around with.

I live in a 3 bedroom semi-detached house and I have found that the 2.4Ghz manages decent signal in all places of the house (usually 4/5 or 5/5 bars). The 5Ghz signal is much worse, I was only managing 2-3 bars out of 5 downstairs. Also after resetting this router I have found that 4/5 times the 5Ghz signal does not come back automatically and I have to remove the power and plug it back in until it returns, but once it has returned it remains on until the router is reset.

I also had trouble getting a USB drive to work with this; I installed the Belkin software but could not find the USB flash drive at all (How to find it: In the Windows 7 start menu type "\\192.168.2.1" and click enter, it will then ask for a username and password, type "guest" as the username and leave password blank and click enter, the folder that appears is the USB drive) . When I had got it to work I found that it works fairly fast, copying music at approx 1MB/sec (limit of the USB flash drive I was using) however it does stop occasionally for up to 1 minute which is fustrating. I have not used the bit torrent facility (or know how to) but the interface looks pretty straight forward.

I have not experienced any slow downs that other reviewers seem to have got, but do I think this is probably due to heat, the casing of this router gets fairly warm. After disasembling it I have found none of the chips inside this have heatsinks of any sort, two of these chips were too hot to touch, so I have put a few of my own heatsinks to help.

Overall I am not overly impressed with this router. I have to reset the router several times before it restores the 5Ghz signal and the signal is weak, especially on the 5Ghz band, on the plus side though, the signal is very reliable, I have not seen a single signal dropout since I have got it on either band. The power adapter was another dissapointment, not very well designed as it blocks the socket next to it. The heat issues from the chips being hot to touch are possibly the cause of some reviewers slow downs and even if it isn't, I doubt it would last over a year with those sorts of temperatures. If I payed full retail for this I would have returned it without a doubt, but for £25 it is OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more lost connections!!, 20 April 2010
DBA (London, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this router to replace my NetGear WGT624 "g" after I was frequently experiencing dropped connections and issues playing on XBox Live. Since installing this router I haven't experienced any network problems at all. Xbox Live runs perfectly and it's easy to attach both N and g devices. It is very easy to setup and has lots of useful features including an option for plugin storage or a printer via USB. Definitely a big improvement over wireless g.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks great on paper but very unstable, 16 April 2012
Bought this router to replace a singleband Dlink DIR-655. The dlink was quite stable on its latest firmware. However the 2.4GHz band is horribly contested where we live, so I wanted to get something that worked on the empty 5GHz band.

I've been burnt by belkin networking gear before but thought I have a go with this router as the price was excellent. Initial impressions were good, though the inability to wall mount it was a bit annoying. The first problems showed up a couple of hours into its use. Our broadband speed had slowed down substantially (from ~ 25MB/s to 2MB/s). Restarting the router fixed the issue immediately. However the speed would always drop over time. Tried tweaking the router settings over the course of a couple of weeks to make it stable but ran into the same problem every time.

There is one 'beta' firmware update on the belkin website which didn't make any difference.

So in the end had to put the old dlink router back into use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a few little niggles, 23 Feb 2013
First a few words on the seller A to Z. They were a little little my liking. It took them 4 days to despatch which is a little excessive these days and overall took 2 weeks to arrive which was very slow. The item also looked like a refurbished model or an unused return of some sort as it was a little scuffed and bags were cut open which is really what I bought into but I'm not petty enough to go router less again for 2 weeks over such trivial things.

The router itself is rather attractive and the lights are clear making connection diagnosis easy. One thing I did have issues was trying to use the setup software to get the router and modem to talk to either. On my PC running windows 8 on the language selection screen there was no drop down menu where one should have been rendering me unable to proceed I used an old xp machine instead which showed the drop down box but it still didn't work correctly and I had to key down and click it to cycle through options strange and annoying.

Once that was over with everything worked great. Signal is fantastic, the 5ghz band is around 75dBm in the furthest point of the house from the router with 3 walls and a floor between, and about 9dBm higher than my old 2.4ghz signal. The new 2.4ghz signal strength is off the scale and overpowers the very crowded channels in my house causing less interruption. I the settings screen is easy to use and works well.

The only other issue is I haven't yet got NAS to recognise at the router, something for tonight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 19 Nov 2013
Bought this to upgrade from the stock virgin superhub which has terrible wifi! This is dualband which was perfect in our house as some people could only pick up 2.4ghz signals

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite improvement., 10 Nov 2011
I can say that when i got this up and working I was presently surprised.
I upgraded my whole home network recently and I chose this little "monster" to be the brains of it all.
I have a large number of wireless devices including mobile phones(obviously(i suppose)), couple of laptops, gaming consoles, a network printer, couple of Tv's etc.
Well this can handle all of these with ease. All connections are fast and stable, no random connection drops.
It comes with lots of options that let you customize the device to your needs.
Very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good functionality, good price!, 18 Mar 2011
Paul Spence (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace an ageing, but rock-solid, Linksys WRT54GC. In particular I wanted to take advantage of the 802.11n which my new laptop offers, but the old router didn't. The gigabit ethernet ports have more than doubled the transfer rates I was getting to my NAS with my old router, and my wireless network's availability now covers the entire house and pretty far down the garden; the old router signal didn't always reach upstairs in my house.

I set the router up manually rather than using the setup disk, it saves the hassle of installing irritating and unnecessary third-party apps, when all of the config is very easy using the browser-based interface. My network devices are all running static IPs, and I've locked the network down to allow access to the specified device MACs only, the whole process was a breeze. The guest internet access is already proving invaluable as I have a friend's laptop at home to fix, and I'm not keen on exposing my network devices, particularly the NAS, to untrusted devices. This router lets me connect the laptop wirelessly to the internet, without joining my core network.

I've had the router a week now and I'm really pleased with it. Not yet tested the USB functionality, because I don't really need it, and I'm not sure whether I'll use the Bittorrent facility either.

I'm very pleased so far ...

1.0 out of 5 stars Sub-standard product with worse technical support, 8 Oct 2011
Mr. Raymond Milgrom "Ray Milgrom" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Issue One: The F6D6230UK4 ships with 2009 firmware released about the same time as the 802.11n ratification. Neither of two recent Dell laptops (one with Intel, the other Dell Wifi) were able to make connections to the router at a rate faster than 54Mb/S on either band. The InSSIDer utility confirmed that the router was advertising 300N connectivity on both bands.

Issue Two: When attemmpting to configure a static route, the firmware rejected all routes in which the second octet was "0". For example: the subnet 10.1.1.0 (mask 255.255.255.0) could be configured but attempting to configure the subnet 10.0.1.0 (mask 255.255.255.0) resulted in the error "The IP address and Subnet mask do not match".

Issue Three: Throughput to the ISP was greatly reduced by the router. Where the previous (Buffalo) and subsequent (D-Link) routers provided an upload spead of about 1Mb/S, this was reduced to about 25kb/S when using the Belkin.

Tech Support: Belkin telephone support (Incident: 110922-000015) consumed about 40 minutes of telephone time plus another hour or so doing an update to pre-release software from 2010. The upgrade did not cure the probems. Belkin email telephone support (Incident: 110922-000618) was better in that they were able to confirm the static route configuration bug. However, there were no solutions offered for any of the issues.

Purchasing through Amazon proved to be a wise choice since they made it easy to return the router and were prompt in issuing a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance, 5 Dec 2013
Very slow. Internet kept dropping. Did not work with current nas. Web pages would time out waiting for router to respond.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›