5.0 out of 5 stars Just Plug and Play
The plugs were ordered from Solwise through Amazon. Arrived quickly. Simply unpacked them, put one by the router and attached ethernet cable. Put the other in another room near the television and connected Humax Foxsat HDR to plug by ethernet cable. Switched on and watching BBC iplayer in seconds. No reduction in download speed or ping rate.

Brilliant...
Published on 17 Aug 2010 by Andrew Frost

3.0 out of 5 stars Be aware
Be aware that Homeplugs are not suitable for everybody. The electrical wiring in some homes are just not suitable. The best speed I could get out of these 85Mbps models was 8Mbps - obviously not great as I could get 18Mbps out of the wireless. I spent a lot of time trying to configure my network, turned off everything else electrical in the house, tried different...
Published on 28 July 2010 by DeadInSpace

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Plug and Play, 17 Aug 2010
Andrew Frost (Hartlepool, UK) - See all my reviews

Brilliant product.

Just a note of warning. If you use surge protectors for your equipment you may not get a signal through the solwise plug. I have mine plugged straight into the 13 amp wall sockets as one of my surge protectors blocked the signal.

Strongly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked straight out of the box, 28 July 2010
MJ King "MJK" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack (Electronics)
I have a VISTA PC in my office (all right, small bedroom!) and a WINDOWS 7 laptop in my kitchen/diner.

My broadband is AOL via BT and both computers have a wireless card but reception downstairs is VERY patchy. My preferred room is the kitchen/diner,which is as far away from the room the router is in as it could be but its only 1 floor of an ordinary 1930s semi with (as far as I know) walls and floors of average thickness.

But I always have problems getting and then maintaining a wireless connection in the kitchen/diner. Reception is much better in the lounge though that room is nearer to the router.

The laptop is only a few months old and works perfectly so I looked around for a solution. I considered buying a new router but wasn't sure how this would sit with AOL. Came across the solution of using existing electrical wiring, which seemed a good idea - and quite cheap.

Read up on the reviews and these seemed ideal.

Ordered on 25/7/10 and got them today, 28/7/10 - great service from PixelHeaven at a reasonable price too.

What you get is 2 units and 2 ethernet cables.

Plug 1 unit into a wall socket near your router and the cable into the unit and then the router.
Plug the second unit into a wall socket in the room you have your other computer (or whatever) and the cable into that second unit and computer.
Remember to switch on the wall sockets (if needed) and away you go!

I can now access the internet from anywhere in my kitchen/diner. Only had it for 1 day and only used for e-mail, You Tube, Facebook etc but no problems at all.

The software bundled with it allows you to set up your own security and installs easily and is easy to use.

Will follow up this review after a week or so of using it but so far very good and 100% recommended!

Update 13/8/10. One of the units simply stopped working after I'd had it for about 5 days. Don't know what the problem was. Replacement unit is working fine as is the other unit. Only had replacement 2 days though so watch this space!

Update 20/8/10. Replacement unit still working fine, so looks as though 1st faulty one wasn't typical.If either unit does develop a fault again I'll update here. Otherwise, assume both working.

Really useful and cheap solution. Would probably rate 5 starts but downlaods can be a bit slow - for example, my TESCO on line order form runs to 6 pages, with 20 ish pictures plus ads etc per page. Its noticeably slower using the adapter to connect. Not slow by any means just slower.

Latest update 31/8/10. Both units still working fine.

Latest update 4/10/10. Both units still working fine. Looks like my faulty one was a one off.

Latest and final update (unless it stops working!) 1/12/10. Both units still working fine.

Latest and very final update: 12/5/11. Both units working 100% fine! Great buy!

(Another!) Final update: 5/3/12. Both units working 100% OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solwise Homeplugs, 21 Dec 2010
This review is from: Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack (Electronics)
I bought these Power Over Ethernet adaptors to connect up my Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray player to the Internet. My router is upstairs and the Blu-Ray is downstairs.

I simply plugged one adapter into a power socket next to my router (Thomson Speedtouch 586) and connected up the supplied RJ45 cable to the bottom of the Homeplug and then trailed the Ethernet cable to a free port on the back of the router. Then I plugged in the second adaptor to the power socket next to my Blu-Ray player and connected up the Ethernet cable to the Homeplug and then connected it to the rear of the Blu-ray player.

Live services were immediately picked up and it works perfectly without any configuration. Streaming HD content is also fine, no break up or stuttering. The Solwise adapters are small - less than a credit card in height and width and easily plug into the wall socket without obscuring the socket next to it. The adaptors also run silently.

Quite simply this is a brilliant solution to poor wireless reception or tricky cable running. I'm pleasantly surprised how great this product is . I give it my highest recommendation.

NB. For information. I live in a new build house (single electrical ring) and plugged the Homeplugs directly into the wall sockets rather than extension blocks. My internet connection speed is 6.5 Mbps D/L and 1.0 Mbps U/L and I'm on Be There Broadband.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant alternative to a Sony USB - and a good home network solution as well, 2 Feb 2011
This review is from: Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack (Electronics)
Came across this in Amazon reviews for my new Sony HD LCD TV. As this saved >30 compared to the Sony USB wireless dongle (>70) I thought I'd give it a go.

Works brilliantly with both my new Sony TV and Blu-Ray player (KDL-40EX403 & BDP-S370 respectively). Very easy to set up (< 5 mins). Won't go into too many technical details as they've already been covered in other reviews here.

One thing that the instructions need to make clearer are how you make your network secure after you've installed all the hardware. I'd recommend these steps (would have saved me 5 mins of running around and squinting at very small print passwords):

1. Write down the individual passwords for each adaptor you have (this saves you running back & forth during the setup process - and they are in very small print indeed)

2. Plug your laptop / desktop into any one of the adaptors using the supplied Ethernet cables.

3. Load the supplied software - which should then identify the other adaptor as part of the network. You can now enter that adaptor's password and then make it secure.

NOTE: at this stage the adaptor you're physically plugged into is still not secure.

4. Unplug and switch both adaptors, plugging your laptop / desktop into the other adaptor (the one you've just made private)

5. Once the installed software's identified the initial adaptor you can then enter that adaptor's (different) password and thus make that secure as well.

You now have a secure network. Simples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, does the job - even with Audio Visual (Hard Disk Recorder), 6 Sep 2010
Hugo Minney "hugie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack (Electronics)
I was concerned - the simple stuff (connecting computers to each other and to the internet) is already done via WiFi, but I needed to connect my new Humax Freeview HD Recorder (not yet available on Amazon!) to the internet and the media server. Would it work?
I don't want to run a wire down the wall of the sitting-room to connect the network to the Humax, but will these plugs be reliable enough?

The good news is that yes, they are. Plug the first one into the extension lead inside the TV cabinet, and plug the ethernet drop cable (short) into the back of the Humax. Great - a light comes on saying they are connected.
Then race upstairs and plug the second plug into the mains - another light comes on which says it has detected a Homeplug device - and then plug the ethernet drop cable from this one into the BT Home Hub.

Then it's back down tot eh TV to check if it can find the internet (yes - didn't need any configuration because the BT Home Hub does DHCP, and if you don't know what DHCP is then you don't need to, it's so simple it just works), and if it can find the media server (again, yes and great).

I have no idea if the network is 85Mbps or 8Mbps. It plays just fine. That's through a fairly old electrical ring main and an extension to 10-way adapter and surge protector. Can't ask for more than that. Delighted!

If you like my review (or if you don't), post a comment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and more, 23 Feb 2010
This review is from: Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack (Electronics)
I was doubtful whether this would solve our wireless problems, but it is truly joyful to be proved wrong in such a fantastic way. This works within seconds of plugging it in.
I was worried about mains circuitry etc. so for reassurance prior to purchase, I contacted Solwise, and although they could not guarantee functioning through our electrical system, they did say that if it did not work they would refund on return. It is so good to find a company out there that cares.
But hey, no worries, this works in our house not only through different ring mains, but through different fuse boxes.
You just cannot go wrong if your wireless is not all you would like it to be. This is amazing equipment. Buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit, 22 April 2010
P. Underhill - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack (Electronics)
Not much to say-- These work straight out of the box with no configuration required. Speed is good and they do exactly what they say. Can't see how the more expensive ones could be better. Great product.

(Try to ignore the guy who gave the 1-star review. He clearly has no idea what he's talking about.)

Additional : Don't worry about what devices you're using or what OS you have. The software isn't necessary and connects any ethernet devices.
Additional (2) : It also comes with two ethernet cables (about 2m long). Didn't say this in the blurb when I bought mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ease of use, 8 Jan 2011
This review is from: Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack (Electronics)
Took less than 2 minutes to get going. Bought this to connect my BRAVIA tv to internet. Initially was thinking of buying wireless dongle but dongle could be used only with this TV whereas homeplug can be used anywhere with any device. Price is a bit on higher side but product is great. Would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless home networking via ethernet, 16 April 2010
Mr. Graham Wroe "grahamfishy" (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack (Electronics)
These units offer a simple-to-install, easy to use solution for home networking without having to run extra cables, or use of wireless adapters. Plug into a power source near the router and connect the RJ45 cable (supplied), and do the same at the remote computer. Works using the ring mains electrical wiring in the house. Ideal for a second desktop in a bedroom, not so flexible for a true laptop. Contains both units and all cabling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox Delight, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Solwise 85Mbps Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack (Electronics)
WHY WHY WHY didnt i purchase these things months ago! I live in a large old house and play alot of online gaming, having read the reviews about these i still decided to put my faith in microsoft and buy their wireless dongle. Firstly the Normal adaptor and the the new advanced N type one when game play was lagging but all that did was give me more problems, lucikly amazon refunded all the money i had spent.........I then decided to give these a try but being one of those people who read reviews and think it sounds to good to be true i didnt believe the hype. They arrived within a few days and were as stated plug and play. No mess no fuss just plug them in, within seconds my xbox was configured and away and ever since online gaming has been a complete joy. I could not install the software as its not windows 7 compatable so i cant tell you the connection speed i get but streaming movies and online gaming is no problem at all even when ive left utorrent downloading in the back ground. I have also had no other option than to plug the adaptor into a 4 plug extension lead(not surge protected)due to lack of wall sockets and read that this sometimes affects the speed but once again i havent noticed........My internet connection speed is Virgin 10m.............I would recommend these to any one. If there is a downside its thats as stated earlier the sortware is not 7 compatable and i am curious and what speed im getting....but as long as call of duty and fifa keep playing online like they are then i dont really care!