Spent a good few weeks/months researching these, as I've been planning all year to get one for my parents.

After reading the reviews for this particular one on amazon and elsewhere i decided to get this despite it being remarkably cheaper than the others online!

Published 12 months ago by Simon Fairhurst

2.0 out of 5 stars Tinnytastic!
I bought this player based on the good reviews. I knew it was cheap, but the overwhelming majority of 4-5 star reviews tricked me into thinking it has some quality and was just good value.

Oh how wrong I was.

There are several key issues with this player:

Published 15 months ago by Auto

4.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT! Really pleased with the product (not happy about delivery though!), 4 Dec 2013
Simon Fairhurst (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steepletone ST918 3 Speed Record Player/Turntable - Black Model - New Improved Model - Built In Speakers - Plug In & Play (Electronics)

The only reason i have given this review a 4 star is that I did request for this product to be delivered wrapped or at least covered or in another box/bag as it was being delivered to the same house owned by the people it was a christmas present for (mum and Dad) - i also stated that if there was no one in if they could please deliver it to another address (literally a 2 second journey around the corner to my grandmothers house). Anyway the item was delivered (which was rather speedy so was happy with that) - but the item was posted in a box that has the item plastered all over it and not an inch of it was covered. Even if it was simply just blank paper taped over the image or text on the box i would have been happy with it, but the delivery guy obviously didn't read my message as he/she also delivered it to one of my neighbours instead of the delivery address provided. So as you can tell I was quite disappointed as my Dad (the person who was meant to have the gift for christmas) then picked it up from the neighbour before i got home from work which then he obviously saw the box and knew exactly what it was.

Despite the dissapointment with the delivery, the product i'm EXTREMELY happy with! - i literally just had to take it out of the box, remove the tape pinning the lid down, and plug it in. I picked out a couple of records from the attic of my mums and dads old pop and soul albums/singles and tried both sizes on the player, both played brilliantly, nice crisp sound and i think (hope) my mum will be happy with it for christmas! (my dad helped me set it up due to the fact he already knew what it was as he was really pleased with it too).

The speakers built into the player - i was expecting small, tinny, dull and cheap quality speakers, but once i got the needle on the record we was really surprised at the quality! Great for listening without having to plug into a full hi-fi system, and they go pretty loud and keep their quality too!

Overall very happy with the product, but disappointed with the delivery service!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent gift, 7 Oct 2010
bought as a present for my husband. ideal gift, sound slightly tinny, but excellent for the price

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE, 13 Mar 2013
I bought this product for my husbands birthday after rediscovering our old LPs and singles from the 70's and 80's. He was delighted with it and we were amazed at the sound from such a basic machine. I would highly recommend this productfor the fun element alone!!! A wonderful trip down memory lane.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic Record player., 14 July 2010
For its price, a neat little unit to play all those records you thought you would never play again, quality is reaonably good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic 918 Retro record Player, 6 Jan 2010
This arrived on time and does all it says "on the box". We had a nostalgic evening listening to old 45 records. Good value and good product! Retro style record player

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent value, 18 July 2010
B. M. Ferris Jones "Barbara" (North Wales) - See all my reviews
I got this for my elderly mother-in-law who's not very good with modern technology, and who wanted something to play her records on. This item is ideal because it is very simple to operate and doesn't take up much space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied customer, 21 Mar 2013
It's great, it plays my records, looks ok, was cheap. The sound was better than I thought after reading the other reviews. Thanks everyone for your reviews it really helps when making a decision. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Retro Vinyl Record Player, 21 Dec 2010
I. Grieve (Macduff, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This retro record player for vinyl records takes me back to the 50's, when record players could play vinyl records at 45rpm - these were usually records with an A side and a B side recorded. The A side was always, in the case of Pop records, aimed at the young and the Hit Parade. It could also play albums, known as LPs at 33 and 1/3rd rpm.
The sound quality is fair but there is only a volume control and no controls for adjusting the base or treble sounds.
For someone who has a fair collection of vinyl records, both singles and LPs, but has little capital to spend, this allows me to at least listen once again to the vinyl records that I purchased as I was growing up. It brings back memories, happy and sad and allows me to indulge in a little nostalgia.
I would add that although the speakers are built in, so to speak, the do allow the player to hear the reproduced sounds in stereo.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tinnytastic!, 18 Sep 2013

Oh how wrong I was.

There are several key issues with this player:

A) It is incredibly tinny. Let me just emphasise the word 'incredibly', because it is really nasty. I'm not just talking about the built in speakers, even when connected to my speakers (Soundsticks, so pretty good!) it sounds lacking. Playing an MP3 of the same track actually sounds better, which kind of defeats the point...
B) The turntable has a very noticable and loud buzz when it spins which gets worse the louder it is playing. It's not a nice vinyl buzz, it is a horrible mechanical whirr. Eugh.
C) The built in speakers (which are worthless) don't stop playing when you connect a line in. I had to use the 3.5mm jack on the front in order to use my speakers without the built in playing at the same time.

I can confirm the sound issues are with the player, not the record because I played a good variety of records whilst testing: an original 1979 LP which has been played to death, a 1980 LP which saw it's 3rd play on this player and a fresh 2013 12" which I played for the first time with this. All of them sounded rotten!

Seriously, if you are after a turntable that sounds good, go elsewhere. This can't do that job.

A few other niggles are that it lacks a lever to lift the arm, it doesn't come with a platter, the speed switch is very awkward to use and 12" records hang out of the side of the dust cover because it is very small. These issues I can live with, but they are little things which make a bad player worse.

There are some good things I can say about it, however. The player is nice and compact and looks fairly neat. Build quality feels solid so I reckon it should have a decent life expectancy. I only tested 45 and 33 RPM as I don't own any 78 records, but the speed sounded bang on and it was consistent. I really like the volume control; it is well positioned, the dial feels very smooth and gives a satisfying 'click' when you turn it off. The perspex lid is pretty solid and the hinge feels good; so long as you look after it the thing shouldn't break any time soon. It is also very cheap, the price has actually gone down £4 since I bought it a few weeks ago!

If all you are after is a method of playing some old records and you don't care about sound quality, then this is a good option for cheap. If you want to fully enjoy your vinyl collection though you are best off giving it a miss; the thing simply isn't worth the small price if you want decent sound.

I must admit I am a little bit of an audiophile and I am very used to good quality audio equipment to my opinion may be a little harsher than other peoples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Oct 2012
Bought this for my brother so he could play some old vinyl he has.
Previously he had used a turntable that connects to the pc and converts the albums and it wasn't really what he wanted, plus it was far more expensive to replace the needle if you could find any replacements at all.
In comparison to his orevious one, this is compact,lightweight and so easy to use and set up.
The volume control on the unit controls sound when playing through the stereo rather than having to mess with the volume controls on the stereo.
sound using it as a stand alone is ok but connect to a line in on your stereo and its brilliant .
The only problem is I now have to listen to the Rolling Stones at full blast aarghhhh .
Would recommend very good value for money.