5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
This is a perfect example of the most rarest of all things: a technical book that is an utter joy to read.

Published on 2 Sep 2009 by S. Genochio

1.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book defaced by shoddy proofreading
The editors of the Kindle edition evidently are under such pressure from their rapacious bosses to cut costs that they rely on automatic spellchecker rather than an educated proofreading.They have insulted our greatest engineer by rendering his name as Brunei instead of Brunel throughout. Brunei is a small Sultanate on the island of Borneo. Given that the subject of the...
Published 4 days ago by mr michael j wright

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 2 Sep 2009
S. Genochio "santiago" (London, UK) - See all my reviews

I have no engineering, maths or physics beyond GCSEs, and was concerned that the book would quickly go over my head. However, Gordon writes with a clarity and simplicity that makes the material accessible. He discusses the main concepts in structural engineering, and gives hundreds of examples, from plants to skeletons to boats to planes and buildings. Occasionally I got lost by the formulas or discussions of maths , but not only was that very rarely, it was also down to my own ignorance.

The real joy of this book is Gordon himself: his personality comes across wonderfully in the text, and I was often left chuckling at his remarks. I'd never expected to laugh when reading a book on engineering. I've read many novels which couldn't compare to this book, in terms of the writing skill of the author. The final chapter, on the philosophy of chapters, is outstanding.

I can't recommend this book enough, whether you're specificly looking for a book on engineering, or whether you're simply looking for your next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable book on everyday engineering structures, 10 Mar 2000
I am a mechanical engineer and during my undergraduate years I was crying out for a book like this. It's easy to read and anyone with even the most basic concept of structures will find it very informative. The author explains why structures are built the way they are and points to the lessons that can be learned from nature. Structures enhanced my appreciation of architecture and has even tauhgt me a few new concepts. I would think it's almost essential for any structural engineer to have a copy. A very enjoyable light read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Structures, 14 July 2002
Matthew Fox (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
The book is a good introduction to engineering of any sort particuly civil or structural. It would be beneficial to anyone about to take A level physics and beyond. It pulls together losts of laws by famous scientists and presents it in different but interesting ways. The language is sometimes quite technical but is easy to understand with some previous knowledge in the subject and or after a few chapters of the book. an enjoyable read intersting read

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for engineers, 30 April 2009
Telford (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Everyone who has thoughts of becoming a civil or mechanical engineer should read this book. It explains virtually all you need to know and many things you didn't realise you needed to know. Every practicing engineer should also read it - I am now retired but read it every year just for the enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book- Can't flaw it, 22 Nov 2010
I am currently doing my A-levels in maths and physics hoping to do civil engineering at University. I found this really intersting and it gave me more of an insight into civil engineering as a whole and other aspects such as material engineering. Extremely well written which is simple for anybody to read but can also teach people with a good physics knowledge something new. I would recommend this to everyone, especially future civil engineers.

4.0 out of 5 stars It really does tell you why things don't fall down, 17 July 2009
D. Sweetman (London, England) - See all my reviews
Prof Gordon's really famous work is The New Science of Strong Materials: Or Why You Don't Fall Through the Floor (Pelican). If you haven't read that, you should. But then come back and read this one, which looks at how bigger things can be put together from practical materials. It's not such an extraodinary work as "Strong Materials" but is still very well written, wise and memorable.

5.0 out of 5 stars oldie but goldie, 28 Mar 2010
A brilliant book for the engineer and non engineer alike - both will be richly informed by it. It takes a really nice angle to study the subject from and is never dull. Well written and well constructed (!) it's a fantastic book which has reason still to be popular so long after it was first published.

A gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 28 Feb 2009
Bruce T. Collinson (Leeds) - See all my reviews
See my review of the sister volume, "The new science of strong materials" and read these two together (well consecutively). Unless you lack a gene, you will go straight back to the first one. Enjoyable, accessible, witty, eloquent and devastatingly illuminative of why and how things work or fail.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful read . a treasure, 20 Jun 2004
i loved this book. i am a lay reader but it gave me a good understanding of structures and is written in such and entertaining way. i would recommend this to anyone . it is a model of how the complexities of the world can be explained in a clear and enjoyable way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Longbows and Sausages, 13 Jan 2009
I have lots of structures books, but this is by far my favourite and I've bought it many times for presents.The book is (literally)a tour de force and deals with everything from longbows to sausages- I found out, and will never forget, why sausages always split longitudinally. The book is very entertaining and together with Gordon's New Science of Strong Materials, forms an intelligent introduction to structures and a useful diversion for the experienced Engineer.I can't recommend this book highly enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›