5.0 out of 5 stars Great continuation of the Mercy Thompson world
I love the Mercy Thompson books, and this one is a continuation/spin-off of that world. It is about Samuel's brother, Charles, and his newly found mate, Anna.

Since Charles lives in Aspen Creek, Montana, we get to learn a lot more about the Marrok, his home and his pack. I really enjoyed this, and look forward to reading more in the future...
Published on 13 Sep 2009 by Emma

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable but not great
Published on 4 Oct 2009 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable but not great, 4 Oct 2009
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
To be honest I'm a fan of Patricia's heroine Mercy Thompson however for some reason I really had a hard time getting to grips with her latest heroine set in the same world. She felt a little under whelming and whilst characters need vulnerabilities to keep the reader attracted to them, I was not sure that she was the right one for the role that was thrust upon her. Add to the mix a very possessive male principle protagonist who treated her a bit like a china doll and you can probably imagine how much I started to loath her.

That said however, the adventure that you get with Patty is always going to be something special as the scrapes really are close and she does play for keeps which always keeps me glued to the novel. Add to the mix an uncertainness in regard to the outcome or which way it is going to unfurl next and it's a magical mystery tour of an adventure. Don't get me wrong, Patricia's writing is still several rungs above a number of others within the genre today but I never lost that niggling feeling to do with the female lead and whilst she does emotionally grow within the context of the tale I do hope that she goes further next time to make her a character that I can not only respect but one that I can empathise with one hundred percent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but have read better in the were-wolf end of paranormal romance..., 8 Oct 2008
As werewolf novels go this one is a good solid read but it is by no means the best out there. The plot is well planned and well carried out but I was left feeling that it could have been so much more with just a little more effort. As the first Patricia Briggs novel I have read, the world she has created here is easy to pick up and you are not left feeling as if you are missing vital information from the book that introduced these characters originally - an anthology.

After 3 years of mistreatment at the hands of her own pack, Anna meets Charles. She learns that she is an Omega, and as such is entitled to a far more revered position within a pack structure. Not only this but he is her mate. After years of abuse and subjugation she is not so much reluctant, but wary and untrusting of her change in stature. Just as she is introduced to new territory, evidence of a rogue wolf turns up, prompting Charles and Anna to be sent to investigate. A dangerous task that will test them and their relationship to it's limits.

This book rolls along smoothly but it's not going to be a book you can't put down. The characters themselves are engaging and easy to like - aside from Charles's step-mom of course, she's not a nice woman, but that's intentional :) . One thing I would say though, for a paranormal romance novel it was very light on the romance. One particular tryst takes up a page and half at most while another barely gets it's own sentence. Not all paranormal romances need graphic scenes to grip you but the lack of them in this book makes it hard to understand the bond that grows between the central characters. Perhaps I am judging to harshly but I failed to find much chemistry between Charles and Anna because of this.

I will be reading more by Patricia Briggs. After a little research on Amazon I discovered that Anna and Charles's story starts in an anthology. I think this may be why I've missed the chemistry between them as I missed them meeting each other and discovering their link as mates. That part happens in another book.

Overall, this is a book I enjoyed, but it didn't make me love it. Let's see what else Patricia Briggs has in store in 'Moon Called'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great continuation of the Mercy Thompson world, 13 Sep 2009

However, I was seriously confused when I was reading the book. There are frequent, detailed, references to earlier events, and yet this is the first in the "Alpha and Omega" series. I even re-read the Mercy Thompson books (hardly a chore!) to see if I had missed the plot development there.

But my confusion may be solved. I think that Anna and Charles met and "clicked" in Patricia Brigg's short story, which can be bought in the "On the Prowl" collection of stories. I can only assume this from one of the detailed reviews written for Patricia Brigg's short story in that collection (thank you "clairefromwales"!). I have ordered a copy to check this, and will update this review once I have.

So my suggestion - I think you should read that short story before this book. Having said that, even without having read the story of their meeting, I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to all those who love the Mercy Thompson world (or, alternatively, it you have not read that series either, then check out at least the first Mercy Thompson book (Moon Called (Mercy Thompson)) before this one !)

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing new story in the Mercy Thompson world, 2 Nov 2009
M. K. Burton - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Anna Latham, an Omega werewolf still adjusting to her status and history of abuse, has arrived in Montana with her would-be mate, Charles. Charles' pack is controlled by his father, Bran, the Marrok, or basically the alpha of all the werewolves. As Anna is adjusting to life in a new pack, with new trust issues, and a new mate that she has to get to know, trouble crops up in a nearby forest. Somehow, it's related to an extremely old werewolf in Bran's pack who believes he is going a little insane and needs to be put out of his misery. Charles and Anna must do their part to sort out the trouble before the public catches on to the werewolves' presence while adjusting to new life together.

I can't really imagine reading this book without having read the short story "Alpha and Omega" in the On the Prowl anthology (my review). It picks up directly afterwards and I can imagine the reader feeling lost without having already been acquainted with Anna and Charles and all that had happened. Similarly, someone who hadn't read the Mercy Thompson series would have missed out on the connections between books. I don't know how well this stands alone, but as someone who is a fan, this is a great start to a spin-off series.

It's not quite as engrossing; Anna is not nearly as compelling as Mercy, for one thing, and Charles still feels a bit stiff. But it's easy to warm to these characters as they warm to one another, and Anna's ongoing struggle with her past is handled in what I considered a believable way. Anna has to learn to trust Charles and he has to learn not to do anything to betray that trust. I really felt that they both grew in this novel, so even though they're not my favorites, they are still likeable and convincing.

The plot itself is a bit of a race to the finish; there is hardly a dull moment and a lot is packed in here with the mystery, resolution, and the relationship drama. The story itself is not really much of a mystery, but more as a way for Anna to develop while providing a bit of suspense outside of love. A lot of the book also fills in pack dynamics which are missing more from the Mercy Thompson series; for example, the concept that the inner wolves mate choose mates without the human side's consent. This is what happened with Bran and his mate Leah, something I had wondered about, and happens with Anna and Charles almost instantly. Luckily for the latter, their human sides fall in love too, but it's interesting that this isn't always the case.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Cry Wolf .* Perhaps not great literature and I wasn't immediately racing to read the next one, but I'm looking forward to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 30 Sep 2009
I absolutely love the Mercy Thompson books so was thoroughly looking forward to this spin off: but what a disappointment. First, as the previous reviewer mentions, there are loads of references to the short story published elsewhere, which is really annoying and I don't see why the book couldn't have started with it.
That aside, or possibly because of that, I found both Anne and Charles uninteresting and unconvincing characters. Mercy Thompson and the crowd of characters who surround her all leap off the page at you and sparkle. Anne and Charles are just dull, dull, dull.
On the bright side, there is interesting pack stuff, such as the role of an Omega, and the witch stuff, especially in relation to Bran's past, is interesting. So I will try the next one, to see if Patricia Briggs can bring them up to scratch, but I am not holding my breath. On the whole I would say borrow it from a library or buy a second hand or sale copy, don't rush to get it at full price (unlike the Mercy Thompson series, which I would highly reccommend!!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT READ, 12 July 2009
I bought this book shortly after reading the short story in on the prowl i have to be honest even if i hadn't read it i still would have bought it.
The alpha and omega series is a spin off series from the mercy thompson series so we are still dealing with all things werewolf only this time we're faced with the marrok and his family or more so charles and his new mate anna.
This book starts with anna moving from her old pack into her new pack with charles while she is trying to get used to her new position in her new pack and being mated. A witch is killing people being the packs exicutioner bran sends charles and because he is still injured sends anna with him.
This is typical Briggs style nothing is quite what it seems there are pleanty of twists and turns that keeps the reader fliping the pages and by the end of the book leaves you wanting more.
What i love about this book is the match up between these two characters charles is his fathers exicutinor and anna is an abused omega and when there together they compleate each other.
There are also some familiar faces in this book and if you loved the mercy thompson series you'll love the alpha and omega series.
i can't wait for the next installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars New series from the author of 'Moon Called', 21 Aug 2008
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
'Moon Called', 'Blood Bound' and 'Iron Kissed', the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, are excellent books. 'Cry Wolf' is a book in a different series but with many characters the same. At the beginning of the story the hero and heroine have already met each other and discovered that they are 'mated' - these events took place in the short story in the anthology 'On The Prowl'. Although I've read that story it was some time ago and I couldn't remember all that much about it, I think it would have been helpful for it to have been printed at the beginning of this book to set the scene.

However part of Patricia Briggs' writing skill is that her books work as standalone novels, even when part of a series. It doesn't take too long before the reader learns about the life of Anna Latham who was Changed to a werewolf three years ago and kept under the thumb of the evil Alpha Leo. She was rescued eventually by Charles Cornick, brother of Samuel who appears in the Mercy Thompson series and son of Bran, the Marrok or top werewolf of North America. Charles is taking her back to their home in Montana and as they arrive Anna starts to wonder what her place will be in this world, what skills she has and whether she can fit in.

Charles is his father's enforcer, hired muscle to deal with problem werewolves, and he's worried that gentle Anna who has been badly treated by werewolves might struggle with this. However before they have any real time to settle in Charles is sent out into the Cabinet mountains in Montana to investigate reports of a vicious werewolf attack, and Anna comes with him. As they uncover evidence of what took place it becomes clear that there are links to events that took place hundreds of years ago, that some other wolves in Bran's pack may share some responsibility for events, and that they are working against an evil person.

Although I enjoyed this story I didn't engage with it in quite the same way as the Mercy Thompson series. This tale is told in the third person so we see events from Anna's and Charles's view, sometimes from other characters too, which gives us perhaps a more rounded but less involved take on events. The relationship between Anna and Charles didn't entirely work for me and I felt that I didn't learn a great deal about their characters. However the book was very informative about Bran and the werewolf structure and history and there were some interesting side characters such as the briefly-met Leah, wife to Bran.

I don't think that Patricia Briggs can write a bad book. However this one wasn't quite to the standard of 'Moon Called' and 'Blood Bound' in my opinion and it's not one for my keeper shelf. The teaser excerpt from the next Mercy Thompson book, Bone Crossed, looked very good though, and I look forward to her next novel with great anticipation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 13 April 2010
I'm so happy that this book turned out to be another great start for a new series. After falling in love with Mercy Thompson books i was very exited about reading more from Patricia Briggs and she hasn't let me down! I was a bit worried though before reading the book as i'm an absolute Mercy fan that this book wouldn't live up to my expectations but i'm glad it did.

I was lucky that i found out from other people's reviews to read the short novel first in On the prowl because without reading it first i would have been totally lost. To be honest i think it's quite silly that this series starts off as a short story in another book as from reading other reviews not everyone knows about this...
Luckily i knew this though!

Absolutely brilliant start of series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Start to Spin Off, 11 Oct 2009
I've read all the mercy Thompson books and wasn't too sure about trying this because I wasn't certain how this would play out. I've been pleasantly surprised. I was confused by the start because it seemed something was missing and that's clarified by other reviewers. However if you're coming to this book cold without having read the Mercy Thompson series then I don't think it's much of a problem.

The story starts after the killing of the Chicago Alpha for his actions endagering werewolves by the Marrok pack. The marrok are run by the Alpha of all werevolves. These are challenging times because it has been recognised the werewolves will ahve to come out in the near future like some of teh fae already have. A problem occurs in the "backyard" of the Marrok area which could be werewolf politics trying to distract the Marrok alpha from his intention at a future planned meeting of putting on the agenda the coming out of werewolves. Charles, the Marrok hitman, is sent out barely recovered from his wounds with his not quite mate (Anna) to track down the source of the attacks in the wilderness. It becomes clear whilst they are chasing down the cause that all is not what it seems and that the attacks tie into something which happened 200 plus years ago to one of the Marrok members. A black witch is loose looking for revenge.

We also introduced to a new type of werewolf in this story. I'm sure we're all aware of alphas and pack heirarchy. In this book we are shown a rare type of werewolf - an Omega. Read the book if you want to know more!

The book made for a good read. It was fun, entertaining and passed the time well which is what, in my view, a good book should do. It's not heavy going just light stuff. If you're into werewolf books then I think you should enjoy ths one.

3.0 out of 5 stars The next series to come from Mercy Thompsons' world, 29 Oct 2008
klynn - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was desperate for the next Mercy Thompson installment and realised Briggs had brought out another sort of 'spin off' story about Charles; Son of the Marrok and younger brother to Samuel Cornick.

I'll have to admit, i loved all the characters very much but i just couldn't love Charles like i do Samuel. Ok, as a reader i've know Samuel Cornick for three books now and this is Charles' first shot but i felt either too much of the character was hidden or he just wasn't my kind of guy!

Anyway, the story starts by immediately throwing us into the belief Charles found his Mate while on a mission for his father in Chicago. Anna, his new mate, is from the Chicago Pack and despite being formmerly abused by said Pack is the rarest and most intriguing form of werewolf- an Omega.

Charles is injured after his mission in Chicago and the two travel home to the safety of the Marroks territory. Not long after their return, a rogue stirs up trouble by murdering hikers in the nearby mountains and Charles (with Anna by his side) are sent out to deal with it.

The introduction of a new and very old charater means this small errand for Charles isn't quite what it seems...

I'm sorry, but i feel i've missed a book out here. I feel a little duped. The most interesting issues are missed- how Charles got injured, how he met anna, why anna so readily leaves her home town, how and why Charles killed her former Alpha... the list goes on. I feel a little stupid here 'cause i hope i haven't missed out a book!

Cry Wolf: Alpha and Omega: Book 1