5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduciton to the electronic sounds of yesterday
When I went to high school in the early 90's, I became interested in the start of the early electronic soundscapes of the 50's. I got some books to read, but it was harder to get to listen to the music on record.

Published on 27 July 2012 by Magnus Bark

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected. Some parts are virtually ...
Not quite what I expected. Some parts are virtually unlistenable. I consider it a part of my musical education but it's not something you'd stick on to relax.
Published 8 months ago by Liam

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduciton to the electronic sounds of yesterday, 27 July 2012
This review is from: Forbidden Planets: Music From The Pioneers Of Electronic Sound (Audio CD)

I asked the prime classic CD vendors in Sweden at the time, but the answer I got was something like "Well, ask the library at the Royal Collage of Music. They might have something."

Time passed. I got some stuff from the 60's and some Theremin albums. Xenakis. Ralph Lundsten. Compilations from Elektronmusikstudion and the BBC Workshop.

But I still missed a lot of the tracks I have read about.

Then, in the early noughties, I bought the Ohm+: the Early Gurus of Electronic Music 1948 - 1980/3CD+DVD box (or rather the earlier one without the DVD). Great stuff, but still some - mostly German stuff - was missing.

If I today would recommend a starting point for the young person interested in the roots of electronic music, I would recommend this double CD: There are so many essential tracks here: "Klangstudie 2", "Gesang Der Juenglinge ", "Poeme Electronique" and two tracks from the film Forbidden Planet.

The sound quality and track order is good, but the liner notes are not great. The text looks like it is a compacted version of another text and at times hard to grasp. Instead, I recommend the book Electric Sound: the Past and Promise of Electronic Music as an complement.

Forbidden Planets Volume Two is not bad, either. But buy this one first!

And one more thing. Why is it that they have left out Clara Rockmore, Samuel J. Hoffman or the Theremin at large in this series?

4.0 out of 5 stars weird electronic sounds here we go, 13 Mar. 2011
this is a real good collection of strange electronic bbc radiophonic type music and background scoresForbidden Planets - Music From the Pioneers of Electronic Sound. if you like strange , minimalistic and atmospheric sounds then get this album

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 April 2015
All good, thanks!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected. Some parts are virtually ..., 27 Oct. 2014